Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 The Iisland as a Tarot Deck
 |  Printable Version
Assacura
 Friday, May 31 2013 @ 02:32 PM UTC (Read 4392 times)  
Forum Newbie

This idea has been rattling around in my head for a little while. (I did draw one...) An Iisland themed tarot deck. May not ever become a real physical thing, but could also be used by characters in game if we wanted. First some helpful links. Major Arcana: http://www.learntarot.com/chmaj.htm Suits Ace-ten: http://www.learntarot.com/chminat.htm and Court cards: http://www.learntarot.com/chmincc.htm (Just so those interested, but not familiar with what we're talking about but want to put in their two cents.)

So then in talking to Rider and Sessine in got a little more fleshed out, and I'm wondering what other ideas people have. I got (between the three of us)

The Fool - general rookie? Jill Baker? Rohit?
Magican - the drive? cryptic questions joker?
Priestess - Sheila? Jill Baker? Kate?
Empress - The Watcher
Emperor -
Hierophant - Corporal Punishment
Lovers - the flirting joker and kit from IC's walls (possibly watched by the midget still.)
Chariot - budget horse?
Strength - Stern?
Hermit - Stern?
Wheel - dice? the drive?
justice - retraining personnel (ie failers)?
hanged man - drive?
Death - Cake or Death Joker
Temperance - Sheila?
Devil - The Stranger
Tower - drive? failers?
Stars - Dancer?
Moon -
Sun - Dancer?
Judgement -
World - CMJ

I was thinking of letting people suggest characters for the minor arcana (ie suits and court), though Budd raised the point that it might be disconcerting if someone got a card pulled of themselves in game and didn't know where this deck originated from. (Still not against the idea personally, as I'd likely have my girls say the name of the card and then note who's on it in narration.) So, looking for my suggestions, or possibly arguments why someone who's listed is wrong for where I put them.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Friday, May 31 2013 @ 03:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ooooh, this is interesting! Here's some of my suggestions:

The Fool - Jill Baker - She works, imo, because of the Rookie status, and her apparent foolishness in the latest story. Smile
Magican - Eboy - This guy is a dynamo, always moving, always aware, and holds so much power over the Island market.
Priestess - Kate - Yeah, I like here here. For the obvious, and because she doesn't do anything else except provide the rings.
Empress - Julia - The Squat Hole matron, the purveyor of sensual delights, provider of abundant midget whores! Tough call, but while The Watcher seems appropriate because of her status, she's not very motherly or nature-ly. Keep going to see where I think she fits. Also, midgets are awesome. Big Grin
Emperor - Corporal Punishment - for being the one that gives you the information on how to play. the 'structure.'
Hierophant - Mister Stern - he's the educator of Island-lore, his museum gives everyone the group identity of the Island.
Lovers - the flirting joker and kittymorph from IC's walls (possibly watched by the midget still.) Not a new suggestion just total agreement! Yes! Laughing Out Loud
Chariot - Budget Horse - as seen from the Player's point of view, hehe. Total control.
Strength - Maiko - Probably the most compassionate character in the game aside from The Watcher herself. 'Strength' is not just about the physical.
Hermit - George from Vigour Mortis - Staring at static on a TV screen all day? Totally introspective.
Wheel - "It's a New Day!" - Maybe more for Jokers, since their stats get re-rolled every time. Smile
Justice - Retraining Personnel - Oh yeah, totally! The most responsible people on the Island, always cleaning up the knocked-out contestants!
Hanged Man - Cuthbert - Insults have the chance to stun your enemies, enrage them, or even backfire on you.
Death - Cake or Death Joker - Agree 100%!
Temperance - Sheila - Provides you with weapons and armor to balance yourself against tough enemies.
Devil - The Stranger - Yup, I can see this.
Tower - The Drive - Because this card is about sudden change and downfall: going from Level 15 to Level 1, picking a new race, etc.
Stars - Rohit - This and the Sun are tough ones. I picked Rohit here because discussions with him always end on a positive note with a hope for a better future.
Moon - Normal Mutant - This is such a Mutant card. Maybe just a normal, depressed Mutant writing poetry?
Sun - Dancer - I feel the Dancer fits here because his vitality is contagious, he's a very reassuring character, and he seems very enlightened.
Judgement - The Watcher - She works perfectly here, way better than as The Empress despite the obvious. The Watcher is the Mistress of Death and Reality TV, the ultimate critic, and the final word before you wake up in front of the outpost gates.
World - CMJ - Pfft, hehe, with all his 4th-wall-breaking, I could see this.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Friday, May 31 2013 @ 04:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just by going off your links and not actually looking up any further information into the meanings of the cards:

Priestess: the Network. Always there, in the background but not really doing anything. We've no real idea how it's all structured or how powerful/influential it really is.

Magician: the Watcher, to counter the Network. She watches like the Network does, but she takes action when action needs taking.

Hanged Man: the Daughter of Chance Watcher maybe? Wouldn't make all that much sense since none of that happened on this version of the Island.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Friday, May 31 2013 @ 05:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Cura,

Hermit is totally that old man with a stick.

Big Grin

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Rider
 Saturday, June 01 2013 @ 04:04 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Also the suits need to be changed from Swords, Cups, Pentacles and wands.

I was thinking something more along the lines of Req for pentacles, Dice for wands, Cameras for swords, and possibly Chrono Spheres for cups.

Also, I like the idea for the dancer as the Sun. The most common saying for the Sun card is: It is a wonderful day, let's dance.

Profile Email
Assacura
 Monday, June 03 2013 @ 08:07 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

1) I've talked to Rider, and I think we decided against chrono's (because they don't completely work and we were both unhappy with it) and decided something like beer mugs. May not be unique to the Iisland, but it's something that does seem to be common.

2) the minor might be a little harder to work out. Though I think we got a couple worked out. Like a DICE 100dk party for the 10 of req, and the 3 of cameras being the scene of when Jill Baker is defeated under your care.

Finally, Trowa, I was giggling while reading your post and my grandma kept asking me what was so funny. I had to tell her it was related to a game and tarot and she probably wouldn't get it.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Monday, June 03 2013 @ 10:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Trowa

Tower - The Drive - Because this card is about sudden change and downfall: going from Level 15 to Level 1, picking a new race, etc.

I thought that was Death?

Relevant comic.

"So it's also like the metaphorical-" "No, like the actual death."

Profile Email
Trowa
 Monday, June 03 2013 @ 10:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

Quote by: Trowa

I thought that was Death?

From Assacura's links:
Tower:
Sudden Change
Release
Downfall
Revelation

Death:
Ending
Transition
Elimination
Inexorable Forces

They're very similar, but the major difference with the Tower is there is a revelation, the truth coming to light. The scene with The Watcher after you fight the Drive, at least in my mind, is that revelation. Death is simply a transition, and not necessarily considered bad, but the Tower also means a downfall of some sort, being knocked off your pillar so to speak. Most Tower cards in different tarot decks depict a burning and crumbling castle for this reason.

This is of course just my interpretation. There is no right or wrong answer. Big Grin

Edit:
Quote by: Matthew

Relevant comic.

Ha! That's a good strip. I think your link makes the same point! Laughing Out Loud Mr. Green

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Rider
 Thursday, June 06 2013 @ 12:49 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

That comic was perfect. The tower ultimately means that something you worked for, something pure or near perfect, something that took love and care, will be utterly destroyed without retrieval. The only thing you can gain is a lesson. The Lightning struck tower, 5 of wands, and 9 of swords are probably the big cards meaning that crap is headed fanward.

Think back to the 6th harry potter book, and check out what the divination teacher says as harry sneaks around to get ready before leaving with dumbledore. The big moment with snape and dumbledor, the chapter is called the lightning struck tower.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.79 seconds
New Topic Post Reply