Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 spare a monster?
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: klein+a+tuin
 Sunday, June 02 2013 @ 01:01 PM UTC (Read 846 times)  

is there any possibility (running away isn't really one) to spare a monster? Since we are the good boys and girls, we may pity a certain one and show mercy sometimes.
Or even better, to turn a monster into something "good"?

Docenspiel
 Sunday, June 02 2013 @ 01:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

To paraphrase the Orc, we are Good and they are Evil and must be destroyed. That doesn't stop you from saying your character doesn't kill anything. There're people who play pacifist characters but still go through the game and kill the Drive and such.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
 Sunday, June 02 2013 @ 02:15 PM UTC  

they are improbable.
1. to call them all evil without a proof is tv propaganda
2. even those who are evil maybe turned into something good

and: oh yes, it does stop me from saying i don't kill if i constantly do. but becoming a pacifist wasn't the question here.

Twosocks Monkey
 Sunday, June 02 2013 @ 04:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I believe DoC wasn't trying to be contentious, or maybe he was who knows, but he was quoting from the Orc Monster.

Since I have a nifty monster list, here is a snippet of the text he meant:

You encounter an orc, who is busily chopping wood. Grinning, you draw your weapon, ready for some killin'. He runs off. You chase him. "COME BACK HERE YOU ORC BASTARD!" "No! I don't want to die!" You come to a clearing with a small hut. The orc runs in and locks the door behind him. "You know this flimsy door won't keep me out," you growl. "I... I know. Please, just let me say goodbye to my wife and child. I'll come out in a moment." Inside there are cries and weeping. A little girl squeals, "DADDY! NO! PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME!" Finally the door opens and the orc emerges, shivering. You see his family run out of the back door -- you'll hunt them down afterward. The orc looks over at you, a pitiful attempt at bravery crossing his face. "Why must we fight?" "It's simple, orc. You are Evil. I am Good. If I kill an Evil thing, that means I am more Good. Also I get to take your money and experience points, to my deserved profit." "Will you not spare me for the sake of my child?" "No, your child is Evil too." "Then," the orc says, tears streaming down his face, "let us fight."

So... that's what he meant? Of course, I'm pretty darned sure the Orc is a tongue in cheek reference to how silly all this fighting is in general, which is WHY DoC mentioned it. I mean, the IDEA that someone's race makes them EVIL is totally ridiculous, clearly, but you know, details.

Also I think the idea would be cool. I second the option to spare. I have a character who never fights, and the only way I'm able to 'justify' that in terms of in game rules is that he runs from every single encounter.

Which sorta works.

Then again. I'm an awful person to ask because I'm not really doing 'gameplay' on Island. I pretty much EXCLUSIVELY RP and almost never DK. Ever. So.... Yeah. That's not about... MOST of the Island maybe? I'm perfectly happy to do what DoC says and have my RP override the game mechanics.

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
 Sunday, June 02 2013 @ 04:58 PM UTC  

killed that orc quite some times now, just wouldn't quote him with that result Wink

point is, i wouldn't want to do either or but match gameplay and rpg together if possible. maybe thats the main reason i haven't started any rpg yet. (or maybe its because i haven't stumbled about anything like a story to join yet). i rather think of rpg in a browser game as built around a quest.

Hairy Mary
 Sunday, June 02 2013 @ 05:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This has been asked before. You might be interested in this thread here.

In summary, nice idea - but there are plenty of other things that CMJ could be spending his time on, many of which would be more productive.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.33 seconds
New Topic Post Reply