Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Threat level tweak?
 |  Printable Version
lowkey
 Wednesday, June 12 2013 @ 01:22 AM UTC (Read 2759 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

So.

High threat levels. Breaches, even. ...what are those, again?

Seems like eons since we've seen them -- even when outpost walls are at 0, and even when we have mass RP events with huge numbers of players on and not jungling...it's life as usual on the Island.

I understand that, in the past, threat levels started to run up a bit too fast as more players shifted from jungling to RP (and especially as Places become more popular)...so the algorithms for threat levels were adjusted to slow their growth.

Perhaps it's time to consider a nudge back in the other direction?

Profile Email
Harris
 Wednesday, June 12 2013 @ 05:51 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yes please!

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Wednesday, June 12 2013 @ 07:09 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Onslaught has never been anything but annoying and exploitable, so disagree.

Profile Email
Harris
 Wednesday, June 12 2013 @ 08:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Let's not forget, at full strength, it was something the whole community got together on (in gameplay AND roleplay) and enjoyed together.
Considering how clique-ish pen and paper AND online RPGs tend to be, that's damn impressive.

Profile Email Website
Buddleia
 Wednesday, June 12 2013 @ 05:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't know about when breaches and onslaught first came out, Harris, but it seems to me that in terms of roleplay they are almost always an annoyance (unless you want to roleplay breaches and onslaughts), and in terms of gameplay they are almost always an annoyance (unless you're a high-attack high-stamina fully-buffed veteran who wants to level up quickly for the fabled One Day DK).

Yes, occasionally there are people who want them (and/or there are people who want them occasionally, pick the phrase you approve of least disapprove of). Most of the time, though, I'd expect that most people do not want them. Rare short sharp onslaughts and breaches can be fun if you're up for it; near-fulltime breaches which last for months on end stop you from playing or roleplaying in those outposts, discourage travel, stop new players from completing the Museum quest, stop all players from accessing the Scrapyard, etc.

On the other hand, I can definitely see your point, Lowkey. Haven't seen anywhere except Squathole get out of the greens in months; even then, none of the shops close. Even when there was that tsunami of megaTitans, nowhere breached even if everywhere was de-walled. At the moment, in the game flavour text and mechanics, there's not much to remind us that our characters have supposedly been kidnapped into a war zone - even if it is televised and fairly civilized with towns and shops and pubs and societies and so on. It's a theme which can be fun to play, if you're not being constantly forced into doing nothing but that or avoiding half the island. And, rarely, it can be fun to do mad jungle fighting or stand there and let the monsters come to you.

So, I dunno. Permabreaches = bad. Occasional small breaches = maybe ok? If there is any nudge given, please make it a small one.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
lowkey
 Wednesday, June 12 2013 @ 05:24 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Acknowledged, Matthew -- and agreed, Buddleia. I'm not looking, at all, for a state of permanent breach and utter chaos...a little chaos goes a long way!

It's more that I keep realizing, when vets make mention of breaches and even of high threat levels with unavailability of shops...a larger and larger crop of new players give consistent blank looks at these mentions, making them feel like they're of the "we used to walk five miles, uphill, against the wind, in pouring rain and hot lava, to buy a cheeseburger...and we were thankful!" sort.

It seems we've perhaps stabilized in a state where things are a bit too stable and peaceful. Just a nudge in the other direction...might be kinda nice.

Profile Email
Harris
 Wednesday, June 12 2013 @ 07:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

I don't know about when breaches and onslaught first came out, Harris, but it seems to me that in terms of roleplay they are almost always an annoyance (unless you want to roleplay breaches and onslaughts), and in terms of gameplay they are almost always an annoyance (unless you're a high-attack high-stamina fully-buffed veteran who wants to level up quickly for the fabled one day DK

Not sure why you say that few people enjoyed it, Budd- I remember lots of folks attacking it with zeal, and you can look in the "History Mister Stern Doesn't Know" wiki page under Onslaught for documentation that people were enjoying both. Unless you mean how tired all of us got after WEEKS passed, and it still
wasn't letting up...?

Profile Email Website
Buddleia
 Wednesday, June 12 2013 @ 08:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I do. I mean months on end of nothing but high threat levels and breaches. I mean every single time you even consider leaving NH or KT, checking the council offices to see how badly IC and PV are being attacked, whether the best pub or the building/furniture shops or the one good restaurant will be closed. I mean months on end of not being able to roleplay in five of the eight outposts, or to get to the Scrapyard. I mean not even bothering swinging through towns to bank your req while travelling, and not being able to do anything about Titans because IC and NP and SQ have all closed their pubs, and maximum hitpoints creeping up to 700 and attack falling down to 100 because Tynan's is never open. I mean months on end of even when groups of people would get together and all go together to try and rescue a place, and after some hours of communal work it seemed safe and the place was available again, and then an hour or three later it would be breached just as hard as it ever had been.

Because bugger that for a game of soldiers. After spending several hours IRL doing nothing but mash the "Fight" hotkeys and making no appreciable difference whatsoever - on most days for many weeks - I eventually gave up, and went and played in the two safe outposts and in Places instead, which of course just made the problem worse.

Yes, at first the occasional excitement was quite fun, it was new and interesting and a thing for people to all play at together, and life was good and beer was cheap and summer days would never end. But then it turned into "well, fuck that, this game is not fun anymore it is just work".

Edit: I realise and acknowledge that not everyone will have experienced this the same way as me. This is how it felt to me, and as far as I am aware to most people I talked with.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Twosocks Monkey
 Wednesday, June 12 2013 @ 11:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Personally, I hate breaches.

I've always hated dealing with closed shops and oh no I should have checked the threat levels - FAILBOAT situations of breaches but...

I REALLY REALLY LIKE THE BREACH FLAVOR TEXT Because it did add to that Oh Yeah... War theme thing going on, canon, all that good stuff.

I have nothing important to say about shops mostly cause honestly, I only really RP on Island. I rarely build or game the 'game' anymore. So mostly I just hated when I couldn't RP in the town that was breached. Doesn't bother me to lose banks etc.

So take that as you will.

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Genevieve
 Thursday, June 13 2013 @ 12:32 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You could technically RP in a breached outpost using the comms tent, which is actually a ton of fun and makes for an interesting scene.

If there was a way to make some manner of RP still available during a breach that'd be pretty cool, so people could fight the breach and rp the very same with a group of their peers.

I'm very aware that more than one person is fighting a breach at a time, but the lack of interaction with those people is frustrating, I think.

It'd be a kick ass bit of RP to seek out breaches just to play hero soldiers for a while, it'd certainly break the monotony of all those button presses.

Profile Email Website
Marly
 Thursday, June 13 2013 @ 03:50 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Pretty much, what it comes down to with Onslaught...

my feeling is that it can't be obnoxious. Now, some people will always find it so, some never, but in between in the mean-median-mode is the average player. So it might need tweeking.

The way I see it, Onslaught was a lot of fun and a challenge when it first came around. And then it became a Thing and a Meh. Onslaught can be a fun RP and gameplay challenge when it just kinda... happens out of nowhere. Maybe we might want to look at it being a Random Incident on the Island that happens when we least expect it, startling us all into action and "WHAAAA" faces?

Profile Email
Harris
 Thursday, June 13 2013 @ 03:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I do. I mean months on end of nothing but high threat levels and breaches.

Thought that was what.

I liked having to defend the outposts. Everyone enthusiastically working together, socially no excuse to actually stop and chat with utter strangers, not to mention the strageizing!

I didn't like having to do it all again, often immediately afterward. M'personal preference would be if we could have it just as nasty as it could get, Titans and all... BUT, have it be opt-n, MMORPG boss-battle style.

As far as I can tell, tho', that'd be a tall order, even by Season Four.

Onto the side note- my goodness, but having an-in battle RP would be the bee's knees. If that's manageable, may we have it on Titan fighting, too?

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Thursday, June 13 2013 @ 05:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

::waves a hand:: O.S.T. better not get flack for this! We're a highly disorganized bunch of people! I mean, seriously, nobody even brought cookies to the last meeting! ...actually, nobody even showed up to the last meeting. ...actually, nobody even organized the last meeting. It was mostly just me in the middle of the jungle. Shooting things. A lot.

...now I want cookies.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Ada
 Thursday, June 13 2013 @ 05:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I miss breaches too. I miss rping them hardcore and have taken to hanging around on outpost jungle squares instead of in the outpost itself so that I can pretend things are at near-breach without someone coming along going DON'T BE STUPID OBVIOUSLY EVERYTHING IS FINE.

When titans rampage all over the Island at huge hp and not a single outpost gets in the slightest bit of trouble, one wonders why they exist at all.

Profile Email
soban
 Monday, June 24 2013 @ 11:04 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Perhaps there should be something similar to the Titan strength thing. Perhaps the appropriate rate being 1 outpost for 1 day per week.

Profile Email
Sonny
 Thursday, June 27 2013 @ 08:46 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

No, please!
It feels like it took forever to get it under control, and I don't want them back as they got really, really annoying.

Buddleia described it perfectly.

Maybe have a small breach as some sort of event now and then. Once a week a random outpost gets picked? If you want to be fancy make the number of monsters depend on the number of players in the city at that moment.
At least something to make plans for (to avoid). That's the best compromise I can think of at the moment.

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Sunday, June 30 2013 @ 12:19 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I feel I should add that part of the reason I haven't been on the island for ages was that the only real time I got to play was Sunday afternoons before all the high-power American players got on, and I wouldn't be able to fight in whatever outpost my Danquest thingamy was in because BREACH NO BANK FOR YOU HAHAHAHAHA.
And I thought "Sod this. It's not fun anymore."

I do. I mean months on end of nothing but high threat levels and breaches. I mean every single time you even consider leaving NH or KT, checking the council offices to see how badly IC and PV are being attacked, whether the best pub or the building/furniture shops or the one good restaurant will be closed. I mean months on end of not being able to roleplay in five of the eight outposts, or to get to the Scrapyard. I mean not even bothering swinging through towns to bank your req while travelling, and not being able to do anything about Titans because IC and NP and SQ have all closed their pubs, and maximum hitpoints creeping up to 700 and attack falling down to 100 because Tynan's is never open. I mean months on end of even when groups of people would get together and all go together to try and rescue a place, and after some hours of communal work it seemed safe and the place was available again, and then an hour or three later it would be breached just as hard as it ever had been.

Because bugger that for a game of soldiers. After spending several hours IRL doing nothing but mash the "Fight" hotkeys and making no appreciable difference whatsoever - on most days for many weeks - I eventually gave up, and went and played in the two safe outposts and in Places instead, which of course just made the problem worse.

Yes, at first the occasional excitement was quite fun, it was new and interesting and a thing for people to all play at together, and life was good and beer was cheap and summer days would never end. But then it turned into "well, fuck that, this game is not fun anymore it is just work".

Edit: I realise and acknowledge that not everyone will have experienced this the same way as me. This is how it felt to me, and as far as I am aware to most people I talked with.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.47 seconds
New Topic Post Reply