Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Season Three Wild Speculation and Rumour Thread
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 04:56 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Trowa

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Yeah, that's what it's gonna be, almost. We'll still have HL things as items, but you'll have an account-wide inventory as well as character inventories, for you to shuffle stuff around between (with the standard proviso that reusable HL items can't be moved around). You'll be able to change your bio from anywhere. Smile

According to your conversation in Banter last night, the race changer will be going away, as well as a couple of the standard races (to make way for deeper story with the remaining races). Is this a hint that things are going to be more restrictive in terms of "what" you can play, or more open via an easier-to-use character-fiddly interface?

For those wondering, I didn't see anything definite said about which races were going away, just that he's toying with giving up zombies and mutants.

Ah, here's the rub. We'll be introducing a "Morphic" race, unlockable after you've been around a while, that will take the place of the Race Changer. It'll go beyond merely changing the text of your race - you'll be able to customize a hell of a lot more. Smile

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 05:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

..."Morphic" race, unlockable after you've been around a while...

I see what you did there. Razz Attack several issues with one sell fwoop, huh?

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 05:41 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Aye. Wink

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 06:25 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Ada

Quote by: Genevieve

Query, though, about having one Main account with a bunch of characters tied to it: Does that mean you will be unable to have more than one instance logged on at the same time?

I certainly hope not. It'd lead to a lot of quitting/rule-breaking. Using alts for roleplaying is so ingrained in Island culture now, and I don't see people wanting to give it up.

Rephrasing this from a mod's point of view: roleplaying is the main reason alts are a Good Thing right now. As mods, we never enforce that no-alt rule unless someone's also breaking Rule One. In my experience, the better the roleplayer, the more likely they will be to want to write stories sooner or later that include multiple interacting characters.

So, please... say you will allow unlimited concurrent logins on the same account.

Then there will be no excuse. We will be able to enforce a rule of one account per player. (With a mod override, naturally, for known cases where there are two or more players in the same household.)

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 07:40 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Quote by: Genevieve

Query, though, about having one Main account with a bunch of characters tied to it: Does that mean you will be unable to have more than one instance logged on at the same time?

I certainly hope not. It'd lead to a lot of quitting/rule-breaking. Using alts for roleplaying is so ingrained in Island culture now, and I don't see people wanting to give it up.

Rephrasing this from a mod's point of view: roleplaying is the main reason alts are a Good Thing right now. As mods, we never enforce that no-alt rule unless someone's also breaking Rule One. In my experience, the better the roleplayer, the more likely they will be to want to write stories sooner or later that include multiple interacting characters.

So, please... say you will allow unlimited concurrent logins on the same account.

Then there will be no excuse. We will be able to enforce a rule of one account per player. (With a mod override, naturally, for known cases where there are two or more players in the same household.)

I've no problem with people having multiple characters logged in at once, as long as they're not being dicks about it. Having all your characters under one account is supposed to do three things:
* Properly legitimize non-dickish use of alts.
* Emphasize that dickish use of alts is dickish.
* Have a central place for your account settings to make multiple characters logistically easier.

Having them logged in simultaneously, though, is tricky - it's less of a rules thing and more of a technical thing. Right now you can't have multiple accounts logged in from the same browser because the login's stored in session data - you have to use Private Browsing mode, or another browser, or what-have-you. In S3, current-logged-in-character is also stored in session data. We could get around that by, for example, appending the charid to the end of every URL, but that feels pretty clunky. I'll investigate and see what other approaches I can try.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 07:46 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Well, from what I remember back in May, there was discussion that every action would be worth experience, not just fighting. So, you could level up just by building, or reinforcing the defenses, or even cooking.

Confirmed. Actually one of the ideas I'm most fond of. Smile Don't like combat? Don't do combat. Woo. Smile

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 08:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh! I remembered something else now from May: infinitely adjustable difficulty instead of Ranks anymore. I'm guessing a sort of risk/reward system. MY question is, will there be a way to show this off to everyone like the number of ranks we've done in our current Bio? (And would it be optional?)

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 09:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

We'll be introducing a "Morphic" race, unlockable after you've been around a while, that will take the place of the Race Changer. It'll go beyond merely changing the text of your race - you'll be able to customize a hell of a lot more. Smile

Oh man.

I'm imagining like a point buy system where you invest into specific strengths you want to focus on. Truly custom races?

That's fantastic.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 09:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ah-ha! Paths! I remember also something about paths on the map; narrow alleys to get from one safe place to another with minimal monster encounters. They would be narrower than the squares we have now, so you could explore around the paths, too. I think that was the intent?

Profile Email
Ada
 Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 11:01 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

We'll be introducing a "Morphic" race, unlockable after you've been around a while, that will take the place of the Race Changer. It'll go beyond merely changing the text of your race - you'll be able to customize a hell of a lot more. Smile

Oh man.

I'm imagining like a point buy system where you invest into specific strengths you want to focus on. Truly custom races?

That's fantastic.

I like this a lot, and it seems to work better with the more recent writing CMJ's done for the Island, that makes it feel more like improbability seeps into people/things slowly, rather than "boom, the Drive hit you and now you're a joker", "surprise, now you're a midget", that was more prevalent at the beginning of S2. A lot of the "aw shit, my gun just randomly turned into a toaster and is singing the macarena" flavour text has been removed in favour of "the Watcher is changing and doesn't like it".
Not that we don't still have people playing macarena-singing toasters (and obviously, we still have that change mechanic about when we DK), but with the diary removed from the Museum the balance feels like it's shifted some, and a truly-custom-race mechanic would follow that pretty well.

Profile Email
Tamar
 Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 11:23 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Will S3 be more balanced in terms of when you gain HP it would actually help more and instant hit weapons will scale up when you do gain hp?

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 11:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yes. I would really like to see high HP not punish players. Bastard ranks are completely impossible because of my high HP, but there's no way for me to shed it.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, August 28 2013 @ 12:26 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Matthew

Yes. I would really like to see high HP not punish players. Bastard ranks are completely impossible because of my high HP, but there's no way for me to shed it.

One of the many, many reasons we're completely re-doing combat.

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, August 29 2013 @ 04:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ah-ha! Paths! I remember also something about paths on the map; narrow alleys to get from one safe place to another with minimal monster encounters. They would be narrower than the squares we have now, so you could explore around the paths, too. I think that was the intent?

To riff off somebody else's wild speculation for that real Chinese Whispers feel - I rather like this. Just like to say, that ideally for RPers, they should go to a few more places than between outposts. Getting out to the Jackalope for example. A few places that folks can build easily-accessible-yet-tucked away Places.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Thursday, August 29 2013 @ 06:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I thought of an idea last night! Taking the current Global Banter and merging it with the old Radio Banter. Basically, having the ability to carry Global Banter with you everywhere in a separate frame, even while you travel, hunt Titans, or fish for crates. Okay, I know, big leap to assume we'll even have Titans or crates anymore, but, just translate that over to whatever the good reasons for travel will be besides 'getting from point A to point B.'

So yeah, having the Global Banter in one place on your screen at all times, with the ability to turn it on or off, move it around, etc., so you can stay connected (or disconnect) while you play or RP.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, August 29 2013 @ 08:41 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I thought of an idea last night! Taking the current Global Banter and merging it with the old Radio Banter. Basically, having the ability to carry Global Banter with you everywhere in a separate frame, even while you travel, hunt Titans, or fish for crates. Okay, I know, big leap to assume we'll even have Titans or crates anymore, but, just translate that over to whatever the good reasons for travel will be besides 'getting from point A to point B.'

So yeah, having the Global Banter in one place on your screen at all times, with the ability to turn it on or off, move it around, etc., so you can stay connected (or disconnect) while you play or RP.

Confirmed, although it's really just a side-effect of making it easier for me to put in chatrooms without needing a bunch of extra checks.

Half the problem of doing chatrooms in S2 is making it so that, after submitting a comment, it took you back to a page that wasn't going to repeat an action. For example, on a world map square where you've just moved North, you don't want to move another square North every time you submit a comment or go to another chat page. The new (as of a couple years ago) chat system (which replaced the old commentary system) takes an explicit "This is the page where we go after they submit a comment" argument, but I think in S3 we can offload that work to somewhere else.

In S3, resume.php will take the place of badnav.php. We'll be running some checks on the POST info on that page to handle chat, preferences changes, and whatever else comes to mind where gameplay isn't explicitly affected. So basically, aye, we can have an expandable Global Banter wherever you want it. Smile

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Thursday, August 29 2013 @ 10:03 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I just had a thought... which may be wildly impractical, but who knows?

Okay, so it's a technical challenge to have multiple characters active at the same time, each one of them independently able to do everything that a character can do.

But do writers need all of that? Maybe all they really need is to be able to swap back and forth amongst their characters very, very easily. Their account is already logged in, so no need for a password every time. Save the current state (that is, the session array) of each of the account's characters somewhere (probably in a cache, for efficiency), and let people pick from a drop-down menu to decide which one they want to swap in. Task switching, not multitasking.

The current practice of having multiple browser tabs or windows open at a time is actually a bit of a hassle, too -- it's just that we've grown accustomed to that method's inconvenience and discount it. It could be a lot slicker if we could do it all from one window: just pick from a drop-down list, and BAM! now we're that character!

... there'd need to be a fairly visible character NAME on each page.

===
AND an almost entirely separate notion, born of a number of incidents that have required mod intervention over the years: maybe people could also pick an account handle that would be used in place of a character name for all of their OOC chat -- global, Place banter, Location Four (if that's still going to exist) -- no matter which of their characters happened to be active? It'd make it easier for new roleplayers (and some of them not so new) to keep in mind the distinction between 'me' and 'my characters.'

Profile Email
Ada
 Thursday, August 29 2013 @ 11:17 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

AND an almost entirely separate notion, born of a number of incidents that have required mod intervention over the years: maybe people could also pick an account handle that would be used in place of a character name for all of their OOC chat -- global, Place banter, Location Four (if that's still going to exist) -- no matter which of their characters happened to be active? It'd make it easier for new roleplayers (and some of them not so new) to keep in mind the distinction between 'me' and 'my characters.'

That would be pretty neat.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Thursday, August 29 2013 @ 11:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

+1'd

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, August 29 2013 @ 11:39 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

That would be pretty neat.

Yes, that WOULD be neat.

Also, what you describe above - the fast-switching thing... that's already done and sorted. Two clicks to change character. Smile

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.76 seconds
New Topic Post Reply