Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Season Three Wild Speculation and Rumour Thread
 |  Printable Version
Docenspiel
 Monday, September 02 2013 @ 07:29 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Quote by: Trowa

Well, from what I remember back in May, there was discussion that every action would be worth experience, not just fighting. So, you could level up just by building, or reinforcing the defenses, or even cooking.

Confirmed. Actually one of the ideas I'm most fond of. Smile Don't like combat? Don't do combat. Woo. Smile

Wow, how did we all gloss over this? If you don't have to fight monsters to level up, what will happen to Drive fights? If you leveled up mainly by cooking, will you have to challenge the Drive to an Iron Chef-style cook-off, where you have to concoct a three-course meal to defeat the Drive's asparagus straws, chicken fettuccine and baked alaska? Insult will trigger an epic Yo Mama fight? Traveling = triathlon with cycling replaced with Budget Horse racing? Will the Drive even be the final boss?

Speaking of insults, will they be getting expanded or remain an addition to combat? Having insult matches between characters to become a Master Dis Meister would be awesome.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Genevieve
 Monday, September 02 2013 @ 03:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Docenspiel

If you leveled up mainly by cooking, will you have to challenge the Drive to an Iron Chef-style cook-off, where you have to concoct a three-course meal to defeat the Drive's asparagus straws, chicken fettuccine and baked alaska? Insult will trigger an epic Yo Mama fight?

Or you can just combine these and fight Gordon Ramsay.

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Monday, September 02 2013 @ 10:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Genevieve

If you leveled up mainly by cooking, will you have to challenge the Drive to an Iron Chef-style cook-off, where you have to concoct a three-course meal to defeat the Drive's asparagus straws, chicken fettuccine and baked alaska? Insult will trigger an epic Yo Mama fight?

Or you can just combine these and fight Gordon Ramsay.

Will there even be a drive killing mechanic?

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Tuesday, September 03 2013 @ 01:42 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Umm....

**Hopefully glances around**

Trains?

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Tuesday, September 03 2013 @ 01:48 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Even better? Planes!

Hell, maybe even with parachutes this time! Big Grin

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Tuesday, September 03 2013 @ 03:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey

Umm....

Trains?

Trains are Sessine's baby, so we'd probably have to at least have a mostly-functioning beta of S3 before that even gets thought about.

Profile Email
Clueless
 Thursday, September 05 2013 @ 03:45 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey

Umm....

Trains?

*peeps.*

Trains!

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, September 07 2013 @ 12:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

According to your conversation in Banter last night, the race changer will be going away, as well as a couple of the standard races (to make way for deeper story with the remaining races). Is this a hint that things are going to be more restrictive in terms of "what" you can play, or more open via an easier-to-use character-fiddly interface?

For those wondering, I didn't see anything definite said about which races were going away, just that he's toying with giving up zombies and mutants.

Just seen this. So...which races might go? Well surely humans are going to get kept, the race that you start out as. And if kittymorphs or wizards jokers went then there'd be rioting in the streets. They're by far the most RPed races.

Robots? They're not RPed so much, but then there's Rohit, and all that story telling (both existant and potential) which it would be a shame to lose.

Zombies and mutants, as Trowa mentioned. Like robots, they're occasionally RPed (quite well) but not much. They're races that people try out. Mutants, I believe have potential to become a really interesting part of the Island. But they really haven't fulfilled that potential. Maniak's done a good mutant. I had a go but it didn't really go very far. I may go back to it at some point, but I'm not currently inspired. Zombies don't have much going for them at all. Some people have done good things with them in passing, but not for too long. Never as a permanent character. And they were always the sort of really creative RPer who I suspect could take anything and do something fun and interesting with it.

That leaves, *gulp* midgets. RPed to some extent, but nowhere near as much as kittymorphs/jokers.
NNNOOOOOO!!!!! I LOVE MY LITTLE MIDGETS! DON'T TAKE AWAY MY MIDGETS!!!
*breaks down in tears*

Ahem. No. I'm sure that I'd get used to it. Just fear of change and all that. But still.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Saturday, September 07 2013 @ 12:51 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Robots? They're not RPed so much, but then there's Rohit, and all that story telling (both existant and potential) which it would be a shame to lose.

Don't forget we did a huge contest to help CMJ develop the Robot story arcs with the Random Hearts!

...did anyone ever win the bonus?

That leaves, *gulp* midgets. RPed to some extent, but nowhere near as much as kittymorphs/jokers.
*breaks down in tears*

I want to say I recall CMJ insisting he would keep the Midgets, and that zombies and mutants had simply become played-out jokes.

If not, then I throw my hat in for keeping the Midgets, too! I may not be able to play one very well, but I love reading them!

Profile Email
Matthew
 Saturday, September 07 2013 @ 12:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Midgets, mutants, kittymorphs, and maybe even zombies could all be believably rolled into a 'morphic' race. Human, Joker, Robot, and Morphic sounds like a pretty good list to me.

Contest aside even, I think robots are way too huge a part of Island canon to just axe. Jokers to a slightly lesser extent, and humans are humans. Everything else can just be a Male Etc race.

Profile Email
Genevieve
 Saturday, September 07 2013 @ 01:57 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary[

*breaks down in tears*

Ahem. No. I'm sure that I'd get used to it. Just fear of change and all that. But still.

[/p]

I SWEAR I'D ACTUALLY CRY IF I COULDN'T PLAY A MIDGET YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND

Also I think Mutants would be RPed more if the race had better bonuses, can we mention that? I've just developed a character who I want to be a mutant, Mutants have a ton of potential, since they're not very strictly defined, and they've also got the chance to be funny! But their combat bonuses are pretty sub-par, I don't remember unlocking mutant and thinking "this is so cool!" the first time I did it.

Zombies, unfortunately... Just not a thing people wanna do any more. DoC is, of course, an incredible Zombie, but I cannot really name more than five people who RP zombie frequently or well.

Profile Email Website
Docenspiel
 Saturday, September 07 2013 @ 02:40 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Don't forget we did a huge contest to help CMJ develop the Robot story arcs with the Random Hearts!

...did anyone ever win the bonus?

*breaks down in tears*

I want to say I recall CMJ insisting he would keep the Midgets, and that zombies and mutants had simply become played-out jokes.

If not, then I throw my hat in for keeping the Midgets, too! I may not be able to play one very well, but I love reading them!

Mutants moreso because they would be almost impossible to accurately depict in the game. They're supposed to all be different from each other, so making stat benefits and debuffs for all of them doesn't work very well. And scrapping Zombies makes sense; they're the least defined race.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, September 10 2013 @ 06:31 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Working on the Inventory system now.

Weapons and armour will be part of the item system, and you'll be able to equip items to body parts. Here's the question: how much do you like doing the bandolier-backpack shuffle? 'cause we can fix things so that you can pull things out of your backpack mid-fight, at the expense of losing a round or two of attack opportunities.

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Tuesday, September 10 2013 @ 03:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Weapons and armour will be part of the item system, and you'll be able to equip items to body parts. Here's the question: how much do you like doing the bandolier-backpack shuffle? 'cause we can fix things so that you can pull things out of your backpack mid-fight, at the expense of losing a round or two of attack opportunities.

Would that include using medkits mid-fight? Big Grin Portable drinks? (Midget Rage in a bottle!) Because that would be awesome!

If there's any plans for introducing status effects in battle, like poisoning or dizziness, then I can see even more potential for carrying things around in the backpack to use during battle. Maybe even use herbs towards brewing your own antidotes for different 'cures.' ("I gots the crotchrot from the Drunken Nudist! Quick, rub some of that there Scroteweed on there! ...damn, that just made it worse.")

Profile Email
Harris
 Thursday, September 12 2013 @ 02:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Would the bandolier (or an equivalent) still be accessible during fights at no penalty? 'cos that sounds swell, but not if we lose that...

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Saturday, September 14 2013 @ 03:07 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh oh! Heeere's a question that has nothing to do with gameplay mechanics, but will The Watcher's Failboat get an upgrade?

I feel like all she has is a small yacht. And maybe that's enough for her and the caged monsters on board, but I always felt like she ought to have something massive and much more impressive, like a whole cargo tanker! And all the cages are really retrofit shipping containers, and all The Network equipment has lots of room and places to hide and big broadcast antennas and tons and tons of interns and editors and producers and script editors and narrators and basically everything a network a would need to run a massive television show from one spot.

...which would kind of stink if the monsters got loose. Huh. I mean, we always just assume The Watcher could handle anything like a Fail Breach! since she can bail you out of a cage fight, but nobody else is supposed to know about her strength!

Oh-kay, I guess I'm just asking for more depth to something silly. Big Grin Pretty please?

Profile Email
Clueless
 Saturday, September 14 2013 @ 08:50 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I've always treated the failboat as something the size of an average sized commercial fishing vessel, or very small cargo ship. Modern tankers are just crazy big. For example a handymax subset of the handysize cargo ship series is typically 150-200 meters long. For Americans, think about 1.5-2 football fields long. For the rest of the world.. Well think up your own example, sorry! Anyway, those aren't even the longest! They're in middling size. And massive.

So, yeah, not a yacht please! A nice big deck to play around on!

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Friday, September 20 2013 @ 11:39 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Mutants would be almost impossible to accurately depict in the game. They're supposed to all be different from each other, so making stat benefits and debuffs for all of them doesn't work very well. And scrapping Zombies makes sense; they're the least defined race.

Almost, but not quite. What you could have is a whole range of mutations to pick from which have different effects. Webbed hands/feet - make water travel take much less stamina. Extra legs similar for land based. Extra arms give some sort of combat bonus. Distended stomach means that you can eat more food in a single sitting. Kangeroo pouch acts as an extra bandoleer. Extra eyes means monster hunting takes less stamina and you're less likely to be surprised. And so on. I'm sure that we could come up with loads if we went for it.

Each of these comes with a point cost and you can have up to ten points of mutations say. Some mutations might be liabilities and come with a negative point cost. Open sores means you lose 5% of your hp whenever you walk in the swamp.

Each mutation you pick gives you a -10% on your effective charm - making higher charm more useful.

Or maybe you could go for the random selection option, which may have one or two extra mutations that might crop up as a sweetener.

I could see that being fun. Game players could carefully selecting the right combination for their play style. It could also give something for RPers to riff off.

Having said that, it sounds like it would be a lot of work to balance properly (and maybe to code for all I know) CMJs in the middle of a huge project already, so this is even less likely to happen than my other "clever ideas".

Profile Email
Clueless
 Monday, September 23 2013 @ 07:12 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Ok, so I heard a thing that places will be directly ported to S3. This is not a thing I had heard before. What I had heard was that S2 will remain open, for people who prefer it and for 'copy'ing places to S3, for awhile at least.

What is the plan as of now? Please and thank you!

Edit:

Also, maybe answers to big ticket questions like the above should be edited into the first post? That would be so much easier to reference than digging through all the pages that this thread will be. I expect it to reach at least a hundred pages by the time S3 rolls around!

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, September 29 2013 @ 05:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I brought this up before, elsewhere somewhere, but I'm going to go for it again.

In last season changeover, any Places that folk had built got carried over to the new season. Also, all SP obtained got replenished, whether spent or unspent. I don't know if either of these things are going to happen, let alone both, but I'll run with it anyway.

If (IF) we get all our SP back, then there's going to be a massive surfeit of SP. Given that some of the bigger Places had a lot of SP invested in them in the first place, that's going to exacerbate the situation.

I can see a strong case for charging SP to get our places back. How much depending on how big they are and how much programming happens in them.

A possible problem: If somebody doesn't have the SP to pay for their Place back. Maybe put an upper limit of 3/4 of the owners SP? This would also cover Places which are good and that we want to keep, but whose owners have left the island and so are ownerless.

This in turn leads on to a problem with Places built by a group, where the original investment (in both SP and time/effort) was far more than one person could put in. Perhaps some way that they could club together to raise the SP?

I'm not at all sure about anything here, it's just a brainstorm. It does of course depend on assumptions made about how Places and SP will be handled at change over. What do people think about this?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.76 seconds
New Topic Post Reply