Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Season Three Wild Speculation and Rumour Thread
 |  Printable Version
Temper
 Wednesday, October 02 2013 @ 08:50 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I know CMJ JUST PROMISED Places would carry over, but honestly? I'd much rather see them go. Go the way of the Stocks, and Trains, and the Statue in Improbable Central. Places are awesome and all, and creative, but honestly? They ruin the setting of the Island for me like little else can. Wandering around this "battleground" filled with "dangerous monsters" is just kind of blown out of the water by the two castles, the theme park, and the mansion I see every time I take a step. It's an oversaturation of Places, I think, that's problematic.

Of course, I know this'll never happen, but I want to get it out, so.

I'd rather see Places work like Monster Suggestions. Have them be subject to approval by higher-ups. Cuts down on the sheer number and arguable world-breakery set by the scenery that exists right now. I know it's an unpopular stance. But honestly? I never write in 95% of the Places because they are A) empty, and Cool make little to no sense in the context of an Island that is a warzone. And before anyone goes, "But Improbability!" I say that is a weak reasoning for why your magical floating dolphin house hasn't been turned into a Magpie roost or a squalid Midget Opium Den.

Another thing that would be even LESS popular is to chuck Places altogether, and just have mod/CMJ made places existing outside of outposts. I agree that on the Island, despite EVERYTHING (or perhaps because of it), little areas are going to crop up. Small, half-overgrown cottages, or compounds set up by unhappy contestants. I can believe those, and I'd personally visit AND write in them.

Because Writing Things is what my view is concerned with. Today's Places are about creativity and writing, but almost all of them never get written in.

Again, Places just got promised to carry over. This is just me going, "Oh, okay. I'd like to see this happen sometime maybe though too."

... It's okay to disagree, right?

Profile Email
Clueless
 Wednesday, October 02 2013 @ 09:19 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Even at this early stage, two things I can promise:
1. Your Places will be carried over.

Woohooo!

What about 'abandoned' places? There are more than a few that are nice and out there and deserve to stay because they are nice even if unused, but then there are also many places which are no more than a room or two, their owners having long since ceased coming around. More than a few of these places inhabit outpost squares or are directly adjacent to outposts.

Edit:

Oh my, a Temper post! I must say more

Temper, I must agree with you significantly when it comes to how ridiculous it seems that there are so many perfectly peaceful and idyllic places to hide out in the jungle. It doesn't make much sense at all, and very few places seem to have much of a mind for security. What happens when a Panthzer comes knocking?

On the other hand we do not want to stifle creativity, and I love many of the places I have had the joy of visiting, helping review or create. I think it is more up to the players to decide what makes sense, however. If all of the places and every tiny change to every place has to be mod approved, we would need a Mod who specifically was dedicated to that task, for the workload would be immense. Not even considering the backlog of what has already been created. (I'd totally volunteer, by the way.)

I'd be ecstatic if monsters could attack places, if they had to be defended like Outposts, though to a smaller scale, and likely a scale proportional to how large or active the place is. I'd be more than happy to go around slaughtering monsters, storying parts of the appropriate and cannon-kosher bloodbaths, and of course be able to add another feather into my hat. Oh, and before anyone freaks about their hard work being destroyed by monsters- I'd propose it'd be like threat levels. A few degrees of nothing wrong with the place. Then you can't sleep there, then you can't use pages, then you just can't get in without fighting. With the monsters gone everything is back to normal.

Because I need more of those. Ask anyone.

Profile Email
Rykar
 Wednesday, October 02 2013 @ 09:24 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Temper

I know CMJ JUST PROMISED Places would carry over, but honestly? I'd much rather see them go. Go the way of the Stocks, and Trains, and the Statue in Improbable Central. Places are awesome and all, and creative, but honestly? They ruin the setting of the Island for me like little else can. Wandering around this "battleground" filled with "dangerous monsters" is just kind of blown out of the water by the two castles, the theme park, and the mansion I see every time I take a step. It's an oversaturation of Places, I think, that's problematic.

Because Writing Things is what my view is concerned with. Today's Places are about creativity and writing, but almost all of them never get written in.

I would second that, but not quite. I would actually call places both problematic and necessary. Speaking as someone who's built the hell out of his house (by a very outdated standard, I assume), it is absolutely lovely to have my own little slice of the island.

I also see them as a problem for the writing community. RP and Story and community depend on awesome people being there to play with other awesome people, and meeting new people and creating more awesome in the process. (Or fun, or wacky, or intriguing, or... you get it.) But places seem like they interfere with that, a little bit. The first part is the tendency for people to hole up in their places- I'm guilty of this myself. It varies from person to person, but having awesome people all doing their own thing in their own Places doesn't create nearly as much collaborative awesome. It can be much easier to story with characters you know and like, rather than meeting new characters or new players.

And, while there is the need for privacy in some scenes, whether it be conspiratorial, dramatic, or even erotic, perhaps that could be provided by, say... tents? A sort of temporary place, a consumable item?

Of course, all of this depends on the mood and setting of S3. Maybe it's not a battlefield anymore, so much as an island of wackiness! Or maybe not.

Another approach might also be to move places from scattered about the island to being contained within outposts. Sort of a residential district, if you will.
(Anyone else remember the giganto-bank of vending machines?)
Would make it easier to transition between Outpost-hectic-and-collaborative to more personal scenes, and back again, and make it easier for folks like me to avoid getting holed up forever.

It also might help the more oddball dwellings 'fit' better. It seems much more sensible to have built a mansion behind the walls of an outpost...

Edit:
Clue, that gives me an idea. Approving places to exist would be monumental, but what about letting all places exist in outposts, but having players select or vote or something on what places should exist on the world map, perhaps with mods giving the final approval? Everyone gets their own house, if they want, on 123 improbable lane, and the best of the best become landmarks across the landscape?

Profile Email
Temper
 Wednesday, October 02 2013 @ 09:35 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Holy balls yes. A residential district for Improbable Central? Then Soup'N'Pants could finally actually be reached inside Improbable Central! I wasn't even thinking of expanding outposts- I don't think that's a bad idea.

As for moderator review for Places, I think it might be more feasible if people started out with sort of a Place overview. Like, what it'll be called and the sort of things that'll be inside it. Then, if that gets approved, the person goes ahead and begins to write. It'd still be a great deal of work, but I think that would cut it down to a somewhat more manageable size, in that whoever was doing the approving would have less fully written places to read through.

But I think it would be useful beyond belief to do. So maybe someone manages to build a castle. Maybe it's written out in-story as being the work of a number of people. Maybe it's the only castle on the Island. I'd find some excuse to write in it, knowing it's been mod-approved, and? And, it'd be much more likely that I'd find someone else there, on account of there aren't fifty bloody castles to choose from.

Plus, it'd make exploring the Island more fun for new people, I think. If you wander for ten spaces before finding an abandoned shack or a crashed Omnibus, there's that moment of "Whoa, I've found something! This could be awesome!"

Right now, every time you move you're assaulted by large, bright titles. Who cares about a crashed omnibus cradled in a nook in the jungle when you've found a floating tower, three cottages, a Japanese garden, an underground compound and a zoo on your way to it?

That's just my opinion, of course.

Profile Email
Clueless
 Wednesday, October 02 2013 @ 10:43 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Temper

Holy balls yes. A residential district for Improbable Central? Then Soup'N'Pants could finally actually be reached inside Improbable Central! I wasn't even thinking of expanding outposts- I don't think that's a bad idea.

While being able to get directly into a place from an outpost would be cool indeed.. I don't think there is much point to it. The external decoration shows it being in the outpost, and people are more than free to story in central going into the Soup'N'Pants. It's something I've done before, wandered up along to March street to show a 're-rook' character a better place to take a nap than a bench in an outpost.

The programing required to make places go into and out of outposts as opposed to just the map may easily not be worth the effort, as it would be essentially exactly the same as it is now, save that we would click on the place instead of the travel button and then the place.

I still totally support having really cool and special places.. But being able to make your own place and do with it what you will is also one of the largest SP sinks we have. I can't even fathom how much money has gone into Valskyr, for example, and there are still another dozen places, at least, the size category of Carter's Cottage..

Asides from how valuable it is for keeping the kitty (and CMJ) fed on donations alone it is also one of the larger selling points of why to stick around. And the Island is always growing. A large part of the reason we have so many deserted places is because people have moved on, even just since the Cataclysm of September of 2011 and the deletion of all the places that remained as untouched plots after that, we have had so many many places be built up and become forgotten about. Many of those were abandoned almost as soon as they were rebuilt, by those wanting to hold on to what once was. We will keep on having an influx of people, and as long as the standards for places being accepted isn't obscenely high, we are going to have a lot of places being created as well. No matter what the standards are, if a person wants a place enough, they will write, write, and write again until it is approved. And then they can do whatever they want with it.

Not that I see that as a bad thing, mind you, forcing higher quality is just fine with me. But requiring quality will not significantly affect the quantity, especially when we have such a constant flux of contestants.

As an aside, perhaps there can be a compromise. A mix of new and old. And yes, I am about to argue myself back down about places in outposts, for the purpose of being functionally different from places on the map.

Basically in outposts we have the residential district. Or perhaps something else, as there are many places which are not residences, the stores, gardens, things like that.. Anyway, this would likely be its own area in the outpost, to ease on the navlink clutter of the main outpost. In addition there may be a few hubs out in the wilderness. Essentially the same thing, they function as outposts without any of the services except maybe a comms tent and council. Or not even those. These house more places, both those from before, as well as some of the more unusual ones. All of these sorts of places may be created by anyone with the proper resources.

Now, out there, we have the much rarer stand alone places. These would be the ones requiring review before they may be created, and it may be desirable to limit each map square to one of these places maximum.

I have ideas about monsters and how they interact with this proposed version of places, though I will leave that for a later time, if there is interest in theory.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.46 seconds
New Topic Post Reply