Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 Optional Ads?
 |  Printable Version
Ramakidin
 Monday, October 14 2013 @ 03:24 AM UTC (Read 1196 times)  
Forum Newbie

I am a fairly new player and I recently got the guilt trip message ( The politest and most straightforward I have seen in a long time). It made me wonder if it would be possible to add an option to watch a 30 second ad for one supporter point per New Day. I don't know how the community would feel on this or if it would even make enough money to be worth the time to implement.

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Monday, October 14 2013 @ 05:21 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There used to be optional banner ads at the top of the page but those were canned after a few months. I think it was too much hassle to weed out the bad ones.

As for your idea, I think it smells a bit of pay-to-win. Games that have those mechanics have them just to say "See, you don't have to pay money. You just have to do this boring, monotonous task an innumerable amount of times and it'd be saving you a load of time if you just went ahead and paid real money". Running BOINC (check out the Cobblestone Cottage in the Common Grounds) gets you much more SP much faster AND it helps good causes. The ads might help with the cost of running the site, but adding a way to access them and weeding out the ads we really don't want associated with the Island all for them to rarely be used doesn't seem like a good use of time.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Thursday, October 17 2013 @ 03:39 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Docenspiel

There used to be optional banner ads at the top of the page but those were canned after a few months. I think it was too much hassle to weed out the bad ones.

I believe CMJ stopped having the ads around because donations increased after he did so, presumably to a level that made the ads unprofitable. Except for a couple cases, bad ads weren't a problem.

(Dear citizens of the future: in case you have no idea what guilt-trip message Ramakidin is referring to (because a roaming billionaire willed CMJ lots of money or something so the message was no longer necessary) you can read it here.)

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Friday, October 18 2013 @ 04:41 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I'm considering putting in an opt-in ad-supported skin, for folks who can't donate and feel guilty about it.

EDIT: Done. Check yer skin selection. Smile

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Friday, October 18 2013 @ 03:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

I'm considering putting in an opt-in ad-supported skin, for folks who can't donate and feel guilty about it.

I do donate, and I'm still running the ad-supported skin! And there's nothing you can do to stop me! MWUA-HAHAHAHAHA!

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, October 19 2013 @ 12:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Trowa

Quote by: CavemanJoe

I do donate, and I'm still running the ad-supported skin! And there's nothing you can do to stop me! MWUA-HAHAHAHAHA!

Same here. Last time there were ads, they were mostly for some quite interesting things from some creative people. I got quite a lot out of it! Not at all your normal advert experience.

The advert stretches a wee bit far to the right for me though. It means I either have current info off the side of the screen, or else have the magnification one notch lower than I'd ideally like. Is there any chance of moving it left a wee smidgen?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.53 seconds
New Topic Post Reply