Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 That horrible Battle Timer
 |  Printable Version
Fibriel Solaer
 Tuesday, November 26 2013 @ 09:29 AM UTC (Read 1363 times)  
Forum Newbie

I'm not certain where I'm supposed to post what.

Was the Battle Timer always there and just not visible to me before, or..?

I signed on today to find that battles now had a timer on them, requiring me to wait a specific amount of time before I input a target to attack. Presumably, being off beat will make my attacks less strong or less likely to hit or something.

I find this concept, to put it bluntly, absolutely retarded, as the game is a browser-based goofy strategy RPG and decidedly not an action game. So the enemy is just standing there for four to seven seconds while I line up my hit, or... what? It's active but it's not active. Nothing at all happens until I request a page, but the time at which I request that page is vital to 1/10 of a second? When I can't possibly time that correctly on purpose considering lag from my PC loading each page, the server processing my page request, and the transfer time both ways?

This timer system artificially lengthens battle time and completely undermines that this is a browser game made in PHP that runs on a request / return system, thereby making it innately turn-based. It should never have active components requiring that much accuracy - ever. Maybe down to the minute, but never down to tenths of a second.

It's understandable that elements affecting multiple players have to be time-sensitive such as city sieges and golems, since players move at unpredictable rates and those elements change with their actions, but you don't exactly have to have split-second timing to interact with them. Basic combat involving one (1) player doesn't need to be time-sensitive at all, nor should it be.

This is like if in Dungeons and Dragons you required players to finish their commands in precisely 4 to 7 seconds or else you subtracted from all their rolls. This is like if Pokémon made your attacks miss because you didn't take exactly 4 to 7 seconds to select one.

This has effectively ruined the game for me.

It's Improbable Island, not Bullshit Island.

There is no harder task than changing a pattern.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, November 26 2013 @ 04:56 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Fibriel+Solaer

I'm not certain where I'm supposed to post what.

Was the Battle Timer always there and just not visible to me before, or..?

I signed on today to find that battles now had a timer on them, requiring me to wait a specific amount of time before I input a target to attack. Presumably, being off beat will make my attacks less strong or less likely to hit or something.

I find this concept, to put it bluntly, absolutely retarded, as the game is a browser-based goofy strategy RPG and decidedly not an action game. So the enemy is just standing there for four to seven seconds while I line up my hit, or... what? It's active but it's not active. Nothing at all happens until I request a page, but the time at which I request that page is vital to 1/10 of a second? When I can't possibly time that correctly on purpose considering lag from my PC loading each page, the server processing my page request, and the transfer time both ways?

This timer system artificially lengthens battle time and completely undermines that this is a browser game made in PHP that runs on a request / return system, thereby making it innately turn-based. It should never have active components requiring that much accuracy - ever. Maybe down to the minute, but never down to tenths of a second.

It's understandable that elements affecting multiple players have to be time-sensitive such as city sieges and golems, since players move at unpredictable rates and those elements change with their actions, but you don't exactly have to have split-second timing to interact with them. Basic combat involving one (1) player doesn't need to be time-sensitive at all, nor should it be.

This is like if in Dungeons and Dragons you required players to finish their commands in precisely 4 to 7 seconds or else you subtracted from all their rolls. This is like if Pokémon made your attacks miss because you didn't take exactly 4 to 7 seconds to select one.

This has effectively ruined the game for me.

It's Improbable Island, not Bullshit Island.

It's not as bad as all that, you know. Perfect timing gives you a good bonus when you hit it, but you don't lose anything if you strike earlier or later. It's a carrot, not a stick.

Some players like to take advantage of it, and with the help of a ticking clock or a metronome, and a reliable fast internet connection, they have gotten pretty good at getting long streaks of perfect timing... while others (like me) just ignore it and treat the few times they happen to get the bonus by accident as a stroke of good luck.

But you're quite right -- it was intended to slow the game down. It was introduced some time ago as an incentive to get players to want to play more slowly, and therefore place less load on the server, thereby making the game more responsive for everyone. We've got a faster server now, and probably don't need it any more... but quite a few players have built it into their playing strategy. They'd be upset if it disappeared.

Profile Email
nicto1
 Tuesday, November 26 2013 @ 09:07 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I understand how frustrating it is to feel it's necessary to match one's hits perfectly to the timer. Sometimes it is the only way to survive at higher ranks. Or die at higher ranks, as it turns out. Still, the ability to do more damage by hitting at just the right time is a perk, not a penalty.
And please don't use the phrase " absolutely retarded" to refer to things you don't like. Soooo many negative connotations.

Profile Email
Denealus
 Wednesday, November 27 2013 @ 05:56 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

What Sessine said. It's one of those things of "If you want to use it, than use it." It doesn't harm you to not use it. In fact, I've stopped using the timed hits (He knows about timed hits?!?) entirely because I tend not to need them anymore. However, I'm proud of having used them before.

But just like the colorcoding on the targetted attacks. You can hit them or not. You can totally ignore it and probably do okay if you stay on lower hits. But there's nothing that says you have to use it. It just gives you a bonus if you do.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.39 seconds
New Topic Post Reply