Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 Unique Time and Weather
 |  Printable Version
Lea.wolfsfeld
 Wednesday, February 12 2014 @ 09:50 PM UTC (Read 1671 times)  
Forum Contender
Contender

Alright, lets make a fool of myself.

Would it be possible to make a Place Time and Weather? A separate system that can be configured by the place owner and NOT impact the actual game clock? Sort of like a time dilation effect? or something similar? I dunno, I can't seem to describe what I want. Say a person wanted their place to have 8-Hour days instead of the 4-hour days. Or they could have it where its day in the place when its night on the island.

Custom weather. Would it be possible? Like snow storms or heavy wind?

And let me be clear, I don't mean descriptions, I mean something like the in-game clock.

Anyway, I apologize if this makes no sense as I am aware that I am only rambling on.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, February 12 2014 @ 09:53 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Dude we totally have that. Big Grin

Profile Email Website
Lea.wolfsfeld
 Wednesday, February 12 2014 @ 09:54 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Reeally?

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Thursday, February 13 2014 @ 12:17 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I thought we did too. And then got into a complicated discussion with Hairy Mary about it that made me think again.

What exactly are you trying to do Lea?

Snippet here, copied with permission:

Me: Send a link to your stuff on this for the enquirer, cause we can do this.

HM: No. They have things that respond to the games current time and weather. Not build your own into it.

me: so? you could if you did it using the same clocks, you just need to make sure your descriptions are what you want, why can't it be that you set it to change time faster using more programs? you're silly, you work off the game clock, but set it up to do whatever you want, it could be rainbow weather at ice cream o'clock, the places programming just gives you the tools, it doesn't mean you have to use them the way they seem logically set up.

HM: His example was having eight (real) hour (game) days. Which means that you'd need to keep track over two days.

me: so? that's possible with what we have isn't it?

HM: Really? Well if you say so, then I'd be interested to see how.

me: I don't see how NOT gen wrote a good thing about it once for port foley

HM: You can tell the (game) time of day. That's it. You could make say 2:00pm - 7:30pm game time Ice-cream O'clock if you wanted to, no problem there. But you couldn't make 2.00pm - 7.00pm Ice-cream O'clock one day and 2:00pm - 7:00pm custard O'clock the next without going in and swapping it over every four hours.

me: Suddenly confused.

(Awkward pause)

me: Can I copy this to the enquirer? I mean, cleaned up

HM: Please feel free! Although include the caveat that I'm not always 100% right.

Thoughts? Group?

Also, if this is useful, here's a link to another thread about time with some useful stuff from Carlynne who uses time well in Port Foley.

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Friday, February 14 2014 @ 03:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm still drinking my morning cup of coffee, so bear with me...

I imagine you could accomplish this with a set of Memories. I'm thinking somehow incrementing a memory every game day, so that the memory affects the 'Place clock' versus the 'Game clock'. It'd have to be in multiples of the game clock, though, I think? So if the game clock ran through one four-hour day, the memory would increment +12 hours. One half-day for every game-day, yeah? Then the memory would reset after reaching 24 hours.

Would have to be a Global memory, too, but beyond that I haven't thought any further.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Genevieve
 Friday, February 21 2014 @ 05:36 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Holy shit I'm useful!!

I was totally checking the Enquirer randomly and I saw this thread and though BUT YES WE CAAAN DO THIS THING, WE CAN

Rose you're so sweet but that thread is almost all Sessine being boss as heck.

Let me divulge what I do know about time and weather without a single Dr. Who quote:

All the game's weather is almost totally written description. There are different page backgrounds for heavy rain and such but since not a lick of it is animated nothing distinguishes rain from snow or piss or lime green jello. Wet things from the sky, you've got a page color for that in a sense. So if you want snow or something you can just look at round about what times you'd think snow would happen and then associate a page show with snow at that time

making an actual eight hour day would be a little bit harder, since there's not, to my knowledge, a program that lets you track time over the course of more than one day.

I do however know a way to track weather over more than one time using memories!

The Market Square in Port Foley has particular behaviors based on what the actual game weather is. If it was raining all morning they don't set up the stands until noon, etc.

How I've done that is I've assigned each weather type a number, told that number to change based on the weather, then told the next time slot to check that number to see what the 'previous weather' was. So if it was dry and then suddenly started to rain heavily I've got everyone running for cover with tarps over their stalls and I've put them in the pub. Since where else do you go when it rains.

This is a lot of work, though, took me an age and I'd have to be actually looking right at it to tell you how it was done.

"But Geeeeeen, I don't want to react to the game's weather, I want to react to my OWN!"

Cool! You can do that too! Very simple, right? You set all your rooms to ignore the game weather, which you can do it's a button CMJ lets you do that lovely thing, make a program to check the time, then you can associate a weather with that time and have the pages change image and description however you want.

"But that's not NATURAL Gen! It doesn't rain every darned day at 3pm!!" You're right!! But there's a kick ass dice contraption so you can randomize all manner of weather! I have a few random events tossed around that are coin-flip in nature (Either it does or it doesn't) but you can use that random number generator to read another random number giving you any number of different outcomes at any time. Combine this with a previous weather checker and you can have a day where it goes from snow to rain to snownuderstorms (like my home town currently) and all associated descriptions

Of course this is an assload of work but it'd be quite fun, don't you think?

Apologies for the rambling nature but I got so excited at this idea I kind of let it all flow out.

Profile Email Website
Genevieve
 Friday, February 21 2014 @ 05:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If someone reminds me to I can actually attempt to write that out a lot more clearly and in terms of actual programming. But not right now, right now I am thinking about a mountain palace that suffers from awkward snowstorms and frat-like jello hail.....

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.62 seconds
New Topic Post Reply