Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 Place Programming Changes
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, April 08 2014 @ 05:42 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

One positive side-effect of all this: I'm looking at the old Places code, with the advantage of fresh eyes...

The Global Memories bugs have been fixed! Big Grin Now you no longer have to call a Global Memory twice before it'll work. Smile

Profile Email Website
Buddleia
 Thursday, April 10 2014 @ 09:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So I hate to be a boring pain and keep nagging on, but since you've (sort-of) mentioned it ... while you're looking at Places code, may I repeat the plea for a Set Memory Part contraption? That would save a certain amount of server-load just by hugely simplifying a lot of the more complicated programming! And a Set Thought To Memory Part (and vice versa, maybe?) function too! Pretty please with sprinkles on top?

In any case, thank you very much for the Globals fix. Much to my amusement, it comes only a few weeks after I gave up my waiting-in-hope and installed a workaround system. (Now I can set the time of day and weather in my observatory, hooray!)

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Outmen
 Thursday, April 10 2014 @ 09:37 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Yes, thank you for the global fixes. And the memory part set idea would make some things a bit easier for some to work around a few issues, as Buddleia suggested. I think would probably allow more stuff to work using less code and less C&Cs to do so for some of the more complex stuff like what some others do. *coughs*Dirk*coughs* And maybe looking at what Rentoraa said earlier in the replies might help in speed of putting the programs. I don't know for sure, since I have barely looked at any coding for websites and stuff.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, April 26 2014 @ 02:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Has the latest round of changes to Places finished now, or is there more to come? I ask so that I know to get round to editing the wiki Places pages or else leave it until I know what's happening.

While I'm here. I do like being able to move pages and programs about. Being able to build a bunch of pages in one place and then move them to where you want them as and when makes for much more convenience. In Puzzleland, most of my rooms have one or two unused pages attached to them because it was more convenient to have them there rather than get into the middle of some programming and suddenly realise that you needed another page to display some little message or other.

Also, the lay out of the new Structural menu is fantastic. Big Grin Very easy to find what you're looking for, and you can expand a room/page description to have a quick check if need be. It's now my go to menu of choice. If I'm decorating a page, I go to the structural menu, find the page that I want to decorate, make a note of its ID number, then go to the Job creation page, and once I've chosen "Decorate a Page" use Ctrl F to find that number.

So...not wanting to sound ungrateful...but...is there any chance of having a similar menu for when you decorate a page? If not then fair play. I'm still very happy to have the Structural Menu.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, April 26 2014 @ 04:20 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

You know, I was looking at the structural menu and trying to figure out how much of a pain in the arse it would be to extend that into a sort of OmniMenu. When I was chatting about the idea in Banter, reaction was pretty positive.

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, April 30 2014 @ 09:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

You know, I was looking at the structural menu and trying to figure out how much of a pain in the arse it would be to extend that into a sort of OmniMenu. When I was chatting about the idea in Banter, reaction was pretty positive.

If that's not too much hassle, then that would be rather pleasing. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Profile Email
Dirk Vanderhuge
 Monday, May 12 2014 @ 09:53 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Just checking in and seeing if there has been any movement on what we discussed a month back on changes/improvements?

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, June 08 2014 @ 03:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If you're still working on Places, then one thing that would be rather useful would be the ability to subtract Thoughts/Memories from each other. That's a fairly basic operation that crops up from time to time.

Profile Email
Dirk Vanderhuge
 Sunday, June 08 2014 @ 04:03 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Right now, I use eight programs, six of which are nine rows deep, to be able to subtract memories/thoughts from other memories and thoughts while keeping the original value positive, because I need it to be positive elsewhere. A memory/thought is written to another memory (I label them registers to denote they are temporary enough that they will change often and be reset to zero, and still have the permanency to last more than one cycle). That register memory is then taken up by a core program that launches six more programs of nine rows deep that each strip out the value of that digit, and assign a negative value thought for that digit place (ones -X, tens -X*10, hundreds -X*100, et cetera). The eighth program then adds up all the negative valued thoughts into a single negative valued thought that is the sign flipped version of the original memory, and call it 'negativenumber' which can then be used in the desired math operation.

This can sit unlinked somewhere, and then be called in another program by using a SET MEMORY (to set the register used to store the number to be sign flipped), two RUN PROGRAMs (one to run the core program, the other to run the thought compiler), and of course, the desired INCREMENT MEMORY or INCREMENT THOUGHT that is the math operation I wanted to do. All of this, for a simple math operation. It seems a little excessive.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.77 seconds
New Topic Post Reply