Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Down Below
 |  Printable Version
Matthew
 Friday, September 12 2014 @ 03:48 AM UTC (Read 4899 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

a.k.a. the new best thing ever

I love this. It's very interesting and actually seems pretty deep and it gives us dumb non-roleplayers something to do. It's just great in general.

First off, though, a few suggestions:

One, contestants can heal with smile drops and medkits. Robots can't use these items and they are unable to cool down. Seems a little unfair for robots. Waverly plays a robot and was complaining about it Razz
Second, change the direction keys from being mapped to NWES to:

(W) North
(A) West
(S) South
(D) East

Because it's actually really annoying to keep accidentally clicking on the wrong direction and just be going back and forth a bunch. Maybe I'm the only one with this problem because I can't tell west and east apart and I'm dumb.

Also, bug report!

I picked up a contestant, but then wanted to go down a level, so I dropped them because I am an awful person. I went down a level, picked up Waverly (who had died), then went back up a level. I then saw... erm, my own body. Despite being alive. It was like something out of a horror novel.

Then, of course, being an idiot (as established) I picked up my own dead body and shoved it in my backpack, because that makes sense. I was able to see myself (Claude) in my inventory. I tried to drop myself, because again that makes sense, aaaaaaaand... we both got stuck in a white screen badnav.

Alas, brave adventurers. We hardly knew ye.

edit: I can't even put a petition in because I'm stuck in this void of endless white. So. um. Help?

Profile Email
Tamar
 Friday, September 12 2014 @ 04:25 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Yesterday I started at level 1 and tried to go as far down as possible. I made it to level 22 when a Foebot killed me. I had 4k/11k hp and the foebot riposted me (I had 585 attack with the midget race buff and clan buff so about +50%, my Plasma Gun had run out of battery a few fights ago.) and it hit through my MK. II force generator repeatedly with my 110 base defense. Stamina wise I started with about 450% Stamina and hand about 75% when I died.

I think I could go deeper if I actually started using smile drops. In addition I am going to try another run with the Budget Horse Tail weapon for the -60% enemy attack ability.

Additional Thoughts:
-I don't think that FoeBots need to scale on the player since Down Below scales infinitely anyways.

-It is interesting to note that many people can't seems to go past level 10. I think this is because most people haven't gotten extra HP. Many people advise against HP because jungle monsters scale with the player so at best you would break even, you would never get an advantage except in few cases. However, for higher rank Drive Kills HP harms the player because not only are healing costs atrocious, fixed damage weapons lose their effectiveness. As it stands right now, Fighting in the Jungle and Down Below are almost mutually exclusive. If you try to build you character to fight in Down Below, you will have a harder time in the Jungle. If you try to build your character for Jungling, you will not have enough HP to last in Down Below. In addition it would take forever to gain enough HP to make a significant impact. Even for me it took about 3850 visits to The Gauntlet to get my present HP.
-During my exploration I can count on one finger the number of times I got a cig. It would be nice for cig rewards to be increased by either increasing the spawn rate on the map or giving it as a reward for Rare Scrap as an example.

-I found that you can't use Hunter's Lodge items in Down Below, most importantly cookies. That means if you have low stamina, you can't eat a cookie Down Below. (Or open quill packs for people who story.)

-For Smile Drops, if you use it in battle from the bandolier, it should be a heal over time that heals for a total value of 10-20-40% depending on the drop. It seems that if the fight ends before the heal is complete, the rest of the healing is wasted.

Profile Email
Tamar
 Friday, September 12 2014 @ 05:20 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Another thing, the deepest an outpost has gone down is 34 from what I have seen. At this point, I would say all except the top 20? contestants on the isle could survive that depth fully geared. Everyone else would die horribly.

Profile Email
Lea.wolfsfeld
 Friday, September 12 2014 @ 06:36 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I love Down Below! Its awesome! Its...also an awesome way to die. Neutral

Even at really early levels I find that the attack power of the foebots swings so much. They seem to be able to hit lea (Attack 64 Defence 55 plus the various multipliers) for considerable amounts of damage. To the point of reminding me of Bastard level creatures. I've seen the same foebot hit for 72 points then hits again for nearly 300 without using a power move/strong attack. Thats more HP than Lea has easily. (which sits neatly at 186 I think at level 13)

Without stocking up on major gear and smile drops it looks like Down Below will be incredibly difficult. That may be intentional but I can see it being somewhat off putting to some players. Though, most of us have a masochistic streak and will crawl back to Down Below no matter how many times our faces get rearranged.

Also, I got to experiance the bug where you climb into your own backpack when you get injured.

Profile Email
Tamar
 Friday, September 12 2014 @ 07:22 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I went to level 34 from an outpost to try out the Budget Horse Tail and Force Generator MK. II Combo.

At this point, FoeBots are riposting me fairly hard. However, if the fight goes to the defense phase, I start riposting them back. My HP still goes down so I probably would have to use smile drops. Most likely I will start dying faster when the Force Generator MK. II runs out.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Tuesday, September 16 2014 @ 03:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Heyyyyy,

Can we get Daily news texts from Down Below? I LOVE THE DAILY NEWS THINGS!!!

Love,

Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Buddleia
 Tuesday, September 16 2014 @ 04:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I love this. I love it so much. All of it. (And I am so bad at it, and that's part of the fun!)

I have the silliest-ever suggestion to make: the "unconscious contestant" icon, when you've picked someone up and are looking at them in your inventory: would it be possible (and would it be a good idea) to have that show up as the character's avatar? And have the current icon show if that person has no avatar?

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Twosocks Monkey
 Tuesday, September 16 2014 @ 06:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Megsa made a thing!

Help Megsa track the scrap!!!

Shareable link thing: goo.gl/0oeYNk

moo

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Tuesday, September 16 2014 @ 06:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I still need to make a second attempt at doing this (to log it properly AND to make sure it really happened), but has anyone had any trouble using a WHOOMPH grenade outside of the fights? last time I tried, I swear that the option would not come up in my inventory, but did in combat.

Budd, you and me both. I have a nearly nonexistent winrecord thus far, but my travel scores are great, so when I saw a callfor help yesterday, I thought "Hey, I can do THAT."
My rescue attempt ended with a very efficient and very kind third player rescuing us both- from two completely different outpost entrances. :p

Matt, thank you. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who walks in ciiiiircles.

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Twosocks Monkey
 Tuesday, September 23 2014 @ 02:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Request: Can the Down Below story bits go into the notebook please?

Thanks!

moo

Profile Email Website
Grey
 Sunday, September 28 2014 @ 08:17 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

What about a new type of Dan quest into the down below?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.96 seconds
New Topic Post Reply