Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Rules/Guidelines/How Not to Be a Dick
 |  Printable Version
rbead
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 06:18 AM UTC (Read 20911 times)  
Forum Contender
Contender

So, CMJ suggested we start up a discussion here. Floor's open, let's have at it! Also, let's be nice to one another when opinions differ. I shall put that up as the first anti-dickishness postulate: Respect opposing points of view.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 06:23 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Since the context that inspired this thread will be gone by the time you read it, here's a Banter log:

Fancy Free Flaxin's player says "I have a little problem. You see...The rules to this game are rather vague. And it's somewhat uncomfortable not knowing exactly what people should and shouldn't do..."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "What do you have in mind?"
Fancy Free Flaxin's player says "It also seems confusing to new people..."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "Yeah, the rules are deliberately vague."
Rookie Mina's player thought that not being a dick was fairly self-explanatory, honestly >_>
Sleeping Ugly Fish's player says "Like the r-word. I know that's not a thing that should be said but could it be super super clear that that's an instant no-no? As much as 'don't be a dick' is helpful, there are some stuff people are more and less tolerant of!"
Fancy Free Flaxin's player says "I just...Think maybe the rules should be laid out. That way people aren't nervous to do things. People get warnings and such for things they never thought they would and it's extremely weird."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "That's to encourage people to use their common sense, take cues from the atmosphere of the game, and in general not be a dick."
Keg o' Chuck's player says "Hullo, Kolojang!"
Fancy Free Flaxin's player says "Don't be a dick, is kind of too vague though. I know we all know what that means. But it means something different to everyone."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "Well, err on the side of caution. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask the mods or myself. We don't bite!"
Heart of Gold, Quinn's player says "Is the 'Best Behavior in NewHome' thing actually put in an easy to find place? That might help some?"
That's Probably Werns's player says "People sometimes have a hard time doing that, as might be evident by the amount of warnings that go out."
Fancy Free Flaxin's player says "And, sadly, common sense is something people should have but generally forsake in the heat of things."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "Amount of warnings...?"
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "We give out very few."
Heart of Gold, Quinn's player hasn't seen that many warnings go out.
Return of the Fist Denealus's player says "That's pretty much because "don't be a dick" is mutually defined."
The Chained Kastril's player says "Make the rules specific, and people will find ways to be dicks very specifically."
Return of the Fist Denealus's player says "A general rule of thumb is if someone else finds you to be acting like a dick and asks you to stop, stop."
Return of the Fist Denealus's player says "Also what Kasi said."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "And anything sterner than a warning is vanishingly rare. Generally people get on just fine with the "Don't be a dick" rule."
Fancy Free Flaxin's player says "Eh...Nevermind. It's probably silly."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "(except for people who are dicks, obviously)"
Heart of Gold, Quinn's player says "It's not silly at all to have concerns, but there is far less to worry about than people think!"
Heart of Gold, Quinn's player says "Our 'warnings' are usually a "Hey! We don't like seeing this sort of thing." said really nicely."
Fancy Free Flaxin's player says "There'd be less to worry about if it was clearly defined, though."
That's Probably Werns's player says "I did not mean by the staff, Joe."
Heart of Gold, Quinn's player says "There's no way to clearly define everything, though, Flaxin. That's why things are left vague,"
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "Basically, treat this place like a pub that you don't know. Get a feel for the general atmosphere before you jump in, and you'll be fine."
That's Probably Werns's player says "99% of the warnings I see are by players that are warning each other that things might be against the rules, and since we don't know exactly what those are they're are sometimes wrong."
Heart of Gold, Quinn's player says "If someone is uncomfortable with something, they should say so and the subject/story moved on to something or somewhere else. There are just some things you don't do in public."
Susurrant Lyssa's player says "Even if people do make mistakes and cross lines, from what I've seen everyone's very nice about letting them know, and it's all cleared up pretty quickly."
Heart of Gold, Quinn's player says "Also, players shouldn't be modding! They should be telling the mods that something iffy might be happening so we can say something if it's not good. Right, Joe?"
Flickering WindRapier's player says "There are plenty of rules that were said once upon a time in banter and expected to be passed around. I don't think that every rule should be defined, the "don't be a dick" should stay, but if there are things commonly being pushed, write up a guideline.."
Return of the Fist Denealus's player says "I don't see that as modding, Quinn. Or think that's what was being said."
Torrie's player says "Wind stole my words from my mouth."
Heart of Gold, Quinn's player says "Those rules that I think you are remembering were a genreal 'welcome to the Island' and not rules."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "Y'arr, they're more guidelines."
Return of the Fist Denealus's player says "It's just people giving gentle reminders "Hey, that might not be cool.""
Fancy Free Flaxin's player says "That's what I mean, Wind~"
Captain Reimsill's player chucles at that refrence
The Riverking, Meenos's player is the meanest and most offensive person.
Heart of Gold, Quinn's player still has one of her documents saved, actually. The closest to a rule it had was 'keep violence out of NewHome' and 'when in doubt, ask'
That's How The Cookie's player doesn't remember calling Parlay.
That's Probably Werns's player says "Then write down the guidelines, then."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "I think there's, like, some roleplaying etiquette guides in the Enquirer that players have been fiddling about with over the years?"
The Chained Kastril's player says "There is, Omega will link it time to time."
Titan Slayer Tamar's player says "CMJ, do debuff items like Zombie Donkey, Budget Horse Tail, etc, work on FoeBots?"
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "You write down the guidelines! That's what we have a Wiki for. Razz"
Captain Reimsill's player says "You know, for being the sole creatro of this game you know relatively little about this games culture/fanbase."
Heart of Gold, Quinn's player nods! There are two of them. Basic and Advanced as well as the 'NewbWiki'.
Sleeping Ugly Fish's player says "But we're not supposed to mod, right...? :s"
Susurrant Lyssa's player remembers those! They were very helpful when she started out. She'll have to start linking to them.
That's Probably Werns's player says "We aren't supposed to be the moderators. That's your job. We feel the rules need to be more defined or there needs to be "guidelines"."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "Fish, you're overcomplicating this. Just don't be a dick."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "You know what a dick is."
Return of the Fist Denealus's player has also been putting down roleplay theory stuff. Or did at one point. I need to start doing that again.
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "You learned in school."
Bone tInkerbinker's player says "The etiquette guides are wonderful! People usually seem to like them, and enjoy reading what other players have written."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "And at work."
Sleeping Ugly Fish's player fussfussfusses. Yahuh.
War-torn John's player says "school is a good place where to learn how to not be a dick, but sometimes it's the other way around?"
Fancy Free Flaxin's player says "Did...Den just say that Winter Is Coming?"
Captain Reimsill's player male genitalia or do you mean the figurative meaning, aka a rude person?
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "And during every other human interaction you've had until right this very moment."
Return of the Fist Denealus's player says "...yes. Yes he did, Flax."
Sleeping Ugly Fish's player says "Also don't use my school as an example of how not to be a dick because really it's mostly dicks around here. That and bro-tees."
Return of the Fist Denealus's player says "He actually said exactly those words earlier at one point."
Fancy Free Flaxin's player says "I just yelled in my best stark voice, too xD"
Return of the Fist Denealus's player says "...actually that was kind of said pretty dickishly, Joe. Sorry."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "If you really, truly, honestly need a guide on how to not be a dick to people, then I can't help you."
Fancy Free Flaxin's player says "It was crappy."
Return of the Fist Denealus's player says "Especially since that's not what Fish was saying."
That's Probably Werns's player says "My definition of "being a dick" can be vastly different than yours."
Sleeping Ugly Fish's player says "No, it's true! I'm just still worried. Whiiiich I will probably always do, I'm just a worrywart. I fuss, that's how I do. Um."
Unstable Kolojang's player thinks the "no fighting in outposts" rule should be stated somewhere. Newcomers usually get flooded with well meaning people wanting to educate them on this particular non written rule, and it can be intimidating. "I know it was for me, anyway."
Not So Itsy Somati's player got bitched out for talking about not abusing the inflated prices of gum. He was told he was being aggressive when he was merely conversing and promoting use of the inflated prices for obtaining gear instead of banking req or getting a hat.
Flickering WindRapier's player says "If a warning is given out to people and that type of warning is given out multiple times, can we have a small blurb in the faq/rules to give an official basis of things, not all the rumors and worry?"
Fancy Free Flaxin's player says "Joe, what I'm asking is for a set of mod-made or You-made guidelines because it seems easy to abuse and it feels easy to abuse. There's a lot of uneasiness floating around about this and it keeps popping up. I'm just afraid it may become a problem and"
Not So Itsy Somati's player says "Apparently some people thought I was being a dick, while I thought I was being helpful an mindful of others. What is dickish is vastly different to everyone.."
Fancy Free Flaxin's player says "maybe it'd be better to try and cut it off at the pass."
Sleeping Ugly Fish's player is curious if anyone's come up with etiquette type things for modern day youths and such... hrm... To the googles!
Captain Reimsill's player says "May we shut up for a minute without typing so that we all can think this over? Please?"
Fancy Free Flaxin's player says "Soma, that's so true."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "Holy balls, there's an actual book."
That's Probably Werns's player says "Reimsill, don't ask us to stop talking. We're having a debate, if you want to think then just think."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "HARDCOVER AND EVERYTHING."
War-torn John's player says "wait a book on what?"
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "www.amazon.com/How-Not-Be-Dick-Etiquette/dp/1 936976021"
Sleeping Ugly Fish's player cracks up.
Captain Reimsill's player draws 6 of hearts and slings it at Joe for braking the vey brief silence
That's Probably Werns's player says "Because everybody and their mother has read this book, Joe."
War-torn John's player looks at it... snickers, then breaks out laughing
Sleeping Ugly Fish's player says "They should! It's got pictures. Pictures are helpful."
Bone tInkerbinker's player says "Oh my goodness that book. That is absolutely hilarious."
That's Probably Werns's player says "Yeah, they probably should. But I'd wager a large portion of us have not."
The Riverking, Meenos's player says "I haven't read it."
Susurrant Lyssa's player really wants to.
That's Probably Werns's player says "Or if they read it, disagreed with it. Because we're human beings that have differing opinions. Not everybody agrees on the same thing, and personality is a big issue when it comes to disagreement."
Torrie's player says "I like the other recomended books with it."
The Chained Kastril's player finds it kind of amusing that someone actually wrote a book for it. "Kinda want to read it."
Heart of Gold, Quinn's player says "I should buy this book for my coffee table. It would be a great conversation starter"
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "I'm pretty sure that 99% of players here are humans, Werns."
Captain Reimsill's player says "Can we stop discussing the morality of man and get on with other stuff we are supposed to do, like work or lunch?"
That's Probably Werns's player says "I'd wager 100% of us are human and 100% of us have differing opinions, yeah."
That's How The Cookie's player is a sweet treat.
Sleeping Ugly Fish's player says "Morality is so much more fun to talk about though."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "1% are cats."
That's Probably Werns's player says "Well yes, that too."
War-torn John's player says "I thought the 1% was robots, but cats work too"
Sleeping Ugly Fish's player is Pinrut, speaking personally. And she's not sure what Pinrut is.
Return of the Fist Denealus's player says "Wern: Joe is being silly. Quit taking silly as serious!"
Bone tInkerbinker's player says "0.05 are probably birds. Being chased across the keyboard by the cats."
The Riverking, Meenos's player identifies as a krogan.
Torrie's player Maows.
Return of the Fist Denealus's player's just this guy, y'know?
That's How The Cookie's player says "It sounds like others are trying to be serious and aren't being treated as such, though."
Captain Reimsill's player says "Who wants gum?"
Not So Itsy Somati's player is one of the cats. Meow. See, he has the ears and the tail. Ignore the eyes. Ignore the fact that he has propped up his character over here as supposed proof for his claim.
Return of the Fist Denealus's player says "Cookie: Which was cause for my earlier comment about being a dick, yes."
That's Probably Werns's player says "I'd rather him not though, Dene, as I'm trying to be serious here."
Flickering WindRapier's player points to Den. Points. "This kind of thing! One person tries to be silly and the other takes offense and then the silly person is seen as "being a dick" and this happens all the time! Even if he is joking with his comment, it illustrates a point."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "Well, if you're serious about wanting more rules, the Enquirer would be a good place to have the discussion - your posts won't get, like, expired after they scroll off a hundred pages."
Sleeping Ugly Fish's player says "Let's do that then! Let's have a discussion!"
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "Go on, then."
That's Probably Werns's player says "Please do, yes."
Keg o' Chuck's player raises a fist in celebration of discussion in general. A metaphorical fist, at least.
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "Y'all want a defined list of community guidelines, make one, put it in the Wiki, and we'll link to it on the FAQ thing."
That's Probably Werns's player says "We don't want to make it, we want you guys to make it cause it's your game."
Fancy Free Flaxin's player says "But anyone can change that...Anyone can write it. YES WERNS"
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "We won't make it."
That's Probably Werns's player says "Why?"
Captain Reimsill's player try as he might, the other players still we sadly discussing the morality of man, and wheter specific rules should be implemented, he knew that the only way to stop this would be to join it.
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "Flat-out, no, we won't make it."
Return of the Fist Denealus's player says "Because it's not just "Joe's game." It's a community."
Return of the Fist Denealus's player says "You want Joe to be the hardass or you want to make a better community?"
Heart of Gold, Quinn's player says "Reimsill, you can start another topic if you don't want to join in the other. That's why we've suggested taking it out of Banter."
Admin CavemanJoe's player says "The rules we've defined in the FAQ page are that way for a reason. What we'll do is ask the community for what they want to see, and then we'll link to it."
Sleeping Ugly Fish's player started up the Forum topic here! enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic .php
Return of the Fist Denealus's player says "I mean most of these unspoken rules are "community defined.""
That's Probably Werns's player says "It's a community inside of his game, but it's most assuredly his game. There's no question that he runs the site, pays the pills, creates content, and controls the group of moderators."
Captain Reimsill's player says "The deal is that this game while made by them, is mostly you people, all the wiki's, all the data collected, the rules are vague so that people know that they should tread lightly, if any specific rules shoudl eb made then they should be made by players"
Unstable Kolojang's player points out that even though he thinks some points could be made clearer, an intervention on the staff's part is unlikely. "It's quite apparent that the whole point of this is to get the community involved, like most things implemented in the game"
Fancy Free Flaxin's player says "Are...We just heading outside, Den? Or somewhere specific?"
Not So Itsy Somati's player says "There are problems with consistency as well, but I feel it's pointless to go into."
Captain Reimsill's player says "Players who talk a lot in this game, becasue they knwo how different people are, and only they can produce the very specific rules needd to get the akwardness and the uncofortable feeling when people discussing an issue take it on different levels..."

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 06:26 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

TL;DR: some players want specific guidelines on how to not be a dick. I am reluctant to codify "Don't be a dick," because if we do, then people will be dicks and then claim otherwise when their behaviour isn't covered in the list of Examples of Being a Dick. If you lot can define "Don't be a dick" on the Wiki, in such a way that the sort of people who need that advice will read it and heed it, then we'll link to it in the FAQ thing on the Island.

Profile Email Website
rbead
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 06:30 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Some things I can think of off the top of my head that bear mention because they're locally verboten or have been recently insisted on:
-Do NOT mention that word for nonconsensual sex, that's not an OK word or topic
-Please don't play out serious illnesses (except for zombie-ism), it's a) depressing and b) sickness has been canonically eliminated anyhow
-No fighting in the outposts, and don't do drama in NewHome, since it's the first place new players see
-Please don't make Banter a cuddle pile: keep the cuddling, hugging, etc to a minimum, and don't autohit such actions anyway, as some might not want to be hugged/touched/etc

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 06:34 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

For reference: the rules, as posted on the Rules page (in the FAQ, accessible from any Outpost):

The Rules
On Improbable Island, there are just four short, sweet rules. Here they are:
1. Don't be a dick.
2. Don't take it seriously.
3. No alts.
4. No kids.
That's it! Dead simple, right?

The rules in detail
You probably don't need to read about the rules in any great detail, because we've tried to make them as self-explanatory as possible, but if you need a reminder or an example, the next sections might be useful as a reference.

Don't be a dick
This one's easy. The Island is meant for fun, for you and for everyone. Enjoy yourself, and don't do things that will spoil other players' fun.

Some things that aren't fun to roleplay: bullying, violent rages, cruelty, self-pity, depression, suicidal tendencies, mental illness, LOL-speak, name-calling, perpetual victimhood, prejudice, politics, poop jokes... well, you get the idea. No, demonic possession will not be accepted as an excuse.

For Banter, the same rules apply, but in a broader scope that doesn't just apply to roleplay; don't post links to violent or bloody videos or pictures, don't go on tedious rants about whether or not MS Paint Adventures sucks and if so how much, don't be a dick to newbies, don't be a dick to established characters, don't make jokes about stuff like rape or suicide, keep your politics-or-lack-thereof and religion-or-lack-thereof out of the discussion, and so on.

Just use common sense and assume the best of people.

Also, be nice in NewHome and Global Banter. Really nice. It's the first place new players see, so we want them to want to stay and explore! Be welcoming, helpful, encouraging and as funny as you like!

Admin CavemanJoe says: The truth is, Rule One is concise for a reason. With this much experience running an online game, I could post a hundred-page list of Thou Shalt Nots and then end up showing the Ban Hammer to someone who's saying "But you didn't say I couldn't do that Extremely Specific Thing with my penis!" and that's why we don't have a hundred-page list of Thou Shalt Nots. Rule One trusts you to understand it and know instincively what it means. If you need further clarification on what behaviours might cause people to think you're a dick, or if you're unsure about something, either err on the side of caution and don't post, or contact a Moderator and just straight-up ask us. We don't bite.

If you see someone breaking Rule One:
Use the "Report a Problem" link at the top of every page. Tell us what's going on, and where. Most times we don't have to do anything except show up and say "Hello, I'm a mod!" or gently change the subject, and the situation will calm down naturally (because on the whole this place is pretty awesome), so don't worry about getting people in trouble. We're not here to get people in trouble, we're here to keep things fun for everyone and make sure nobody has a bad experience. If you see something that is probably breaking Rule 1 but you're not sure, or just see a situation or conversation that's okay right now but has potential to get dicey, then use the same link and the same procedure and just give us a heads-up so we can keep an eye on it. The mods won't mind if it turns out to be a false alarm.

Don't take it seriously.
While Rule 1 is meant to make the Island more fun for everyone, Rule 2 is designed to make it more fun for you in particular. It doesn't mean your character can't have a serious story here; it means you have to remind yourself sometimes that you and your character are separate entities. This is, after all, only a silly Internet game.

If you stay here long enough, the chances are that sooner or later you'll end up breaking Rule 2. Don't worry about it too much - it happens. Rule 1 trumps everything, and as long as you're not breaking Rule 1 as well, people will understand.

If you're worried about someone who might be taking the game too seriously:
If you know them well enough that you think you can talk to them about it, try it. If you don't know the person, or if talking about it isn't helping, or if they're also breaking Rule 1, talk to a mod or use the problem link.

No Alts
An Alt is a secondary character made by the same player. If these secondary characters are used as mules to shuffle resources around, then the game becomes a meaningless exercise in proving who has the most spare time and the least life outside the Island - and that's not a game anybody wants to win. If the alts are used for social engineering - like running a clan with one character while applying to a rival clan with another, or using alts as a way to deceive people - then we have problems trusting each other, and that's covered by Rule 1. Thankfully, the admins and moderators can always see which characters are alts.

Rule 3 is special in that if you can break Rule 3 without breaking any of the other rules, then it can be quite fun to break. Rule 3 gets broken willy-nilly all the time by players using alts for comedic effect, without using alts for nefarious purposes. Breaking Rule 3 will usually only earn you Frowny Admin Faces if you break Rule 1 at the same time.

If you suspect someone is breaking Rule 3:
Is it funny? Then don't worry about it. Is it mean? Problem link. No, mods usually won't tell you whose alt belongs to who.

No Kids
Remember when we asked you if you were over eighteen? Well, we meant it. If you were stretching the truth a little bit there, you might want to come back later on, when you really are over eighteen - 'cause if we find out, we'll have to ban you.

Also, please don't play as an underage character - people do like to create plots and story events that involve romance and sex on the Island, and combining those elements with underage characters creates a mess that usually ends up with people getting banned. The Island is hosted in the UK, where the laws on child porn err on the side of prosecution; there's no wriggle room on this at all. For the avoidance of doubt, if you're pretty sure that technically your character is okay because you don't mention their age in the bio / they're an adult in a kid's body or vice versa / they're totally over eighteen but they just look really young / they don't have a sex life but you do kinda focus on their boobs in your bio / you say they're 22 but upload an avatar that looks about twelve - knock it off, because you're about to get permabanned.

If you think someone is underage, or playing an underage character in a squicky way:
Use the Problem link, straight away. Seriously. This is a legal liability thing, and we absolutely need to be very diligent, or the Island itself could be at risk. Also, ick.

Profile Email Website
quinn
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 06:35 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: rbead

Some things I can think of off the top of my head that bear mention because they're locally verboten or have been recently insisted on:
-Please don't play out serious illnesses (except for zombie-ism), it's a) depressing and b) sickness has been canonically eliminated anyhow
-No fighting in the outposts, and don't do drama in NewHome, since it's the first place new players see
-Please don't make Banter a cuddle pile: keep the cuddling, hugging, etc to a minimum, and don't autohit such actions anyway, as some might not want to be hugged/touched/etc

Violence is a better word than 'fighting' because there are some things like midget wrestling or NERF wars or water ballon fights that someone will say 'no fighting' to when it's all just good and silly fun. Violence in a public area that rooks frequent is not so good or silly fun.

Profile Email
rbead
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 06:38 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Good point! Let me amend the list.

LIST:
-No violence in the outposts, and don't do drama in NewHome, since it's the first place new players see

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 06:43 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Well, someone make a wiki page! Don't be shy!

Profile Email Website
rbead
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 06:46 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

We got lots of discussion about the whole Banter thing back when that cropped up; I was hoping we'd get something like that going on, give it a few days before we make even a tentative list. It's nice to be able to tell who's saying what, and I want to get at least a few perspectives before writing anything down... besides, I'm sure there's lots of stuff I'm forgetting that would be clearer to others!
alsoIdon'tknowwhattocallsuchapage

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 06:51 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

If you don't, someone else will - and it doesn't matter who starts the page, because whoever starts it, we'll have a hundred people all splashing paint over the same wall. It'll be GLORIOUS.

(and what to call it doesn't matter, it's text in a wiki, light on a screen, magnetic blips on a hard drive in Nottingham. It's not welded letters on a plate of titanium. We can change the name! Indeed, we SHOULD change the name, and we probably will - this should be a living document, updated as the community shifts.)

For all my disdain for codified etiquette (for reasons gone over many, many times over the six years this game's been live), I'm actually kinda excited.

Profile Email Website
Denealus
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 07:05 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I would add-:

-Suggestions and advice is always appreciated; Telling someone how they should be playing the game or playing their character is not. No one can tell someone else how to play make-believe.
-If someone asks you to stop or change topics, they probably have a good reason. Please do it.

And this one's a personal opinion, so I'm willing to have it filter out, but it is a personal peeve:

-If someone else's story bores you, you can always create your own entertainment! Broadcasting your boredom publically adds nothing.

Profile Email
Kolojang
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 07:17 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Here is a little something I cooked up. Maybe people will like it, maybe not. Either, I'm sure there's more work to be done on it.

http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=unwrittenrules

Profile Email
rbead
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 07:24 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I went to go and make a page only to find Kolojang had made one! I'll see what I can add to it tomorrow. Thanks, Ko!

Profile Email Website
Kolojang
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 07:26 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I went to go and make a page only to find Kolojang had made one! I'll see what I can add to it tomorrow. Thanks, Ko!

My pleasure! And yes, please, add. Everyone. These are my own every personal views on the topic, colored by me personal experience. Heck, I'm sure that even though I've been here for years, there's a few of these "rules" I don't even know about yet.

Profile Email
rbead
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 07:29 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

That being said, though, this thread is intended to be a place for discussion, so let's not stop the discussion just because there's a page. It'd be especially important if someone wanted to air a question, worry, belief, or concern and see what everybody thought about it, without taking Banter down that road again.

Profile Email Website
quinn
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 09:20 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I added a mention of the FAQ as it really does spell out the actual rules rather well and linked to the Moderation Policies page because both are great resources that already already exist.

If you haven't looked at it yet, you should!

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 01:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

No. Some of us actually like trying to write a semi-serious story sometimes. "Serious illness" is also as vague as "don't be a dick"; alcoholism's pretty serious. What you're asking for is for people to not display a serious illness in a way that will disturb someone with the illness or have personal ties with someone with it. And that's a case of writing ability, which absolutely shouldn't be a rule.

-No violence in the outposts, and don't do drama in NewHome, since it's the first place new players see

I've said over and over that this isn't a rule (barring NewHome). It's just shorthand for saying "don't clog up an Outpost with crappy fight scenes and/or ridiculously mutilate yourself for no reason". And "violence" is still as vague as "dick".

The only appendix to the rules that I've ever seen as needed is in regards to eRP and how to make sure it's not visible to any Tom, Dick or Harry.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 04:12 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Guys, none of the things you write in this wiki should be capital-R Rules. We just want some community-generated guidelines on what does and does not, in the eyes of the community, constitute a violation of Rule 1.

Profile Email Website
rbead
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 05:50 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Docenspiel

No. Some of us actually like trying to write a semi-serious story sometimes. "Serious illness" is also as vague as "don't be a dick"; alcoholism's pretty serious. What you're asking for is for people to not display a serious illness in a way that will disturb someone with the illness or have personal ties with someone with it. And that's a case of writing ability, which absolutely shouldn't be a rule.

I definitely understand this; I only mentioned that one because it was a thing that I saw (to my recollection) Esc (and maybe Eben?) mention once as being pretty squicky.

In general these aren't hard and fast Rules. I'm imagining this stuff as largely guideline type things, more along the lines of How to Win Friends and Influence Roleplayers.

On the other hand, the violence thing will get you chewed out; it seems to be a pretty agreed-upon thing. I'm not sure if that means it should be a community guideline or not; that's why we're having this discussion.

Profile Email Website
Denealus
 Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 08:15 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Docenspiel

With this one, I think it's important to put "suggestions" in but I wouldn't call this dickish. The general thing that seems to be frowned upon is "causing Drama in public places" (as in melodrama, not dramatic tension). "I don't care for it" is more an RP suggestion, but it's not actually being a dick, which is what I think Docen is saying. Some of the things are explicitly written in the Don't Be a Dick rule that fall under this category, so it practically already is under the rule.

That said, keeping public areas low Drama is kind of an unspoken rule. Playing serious illnesses is fine. Playing up that illness in a way that is meant to make another player go "poor baby, pay attention to me" is something that potentially pushes players away from playing there. There's plenty of space to do that that aren't open and public.

I've said over and over that this isn't a rule (barring NewHome). It's just shorthand for saying "don't clog up an Outpost with crappy fight scenes and/or ridiculously mutilate yourself for no reason". And "violence" is still as vague as "dick".

The only appendix to the rules that I've ever seen as needed is in regards to eRP and how to make sure it's not visible to any Tom, Dick or Harry.

It's definitely shorthand, but it also doesn't make sense generally. Med tents are right outside. Guards are posted at all the walls. At the very least if violence is going to happen in the outposts, the guards shouldn't be ignoring it. If for no other reason that it's good public entertainment and hey, I'm gonna bet on that purple guy.

And NewHome doesn't say "no violence" either. It says "Be nice in NewHome" which can imply no violence. But is also at the same time broader strokes and less specific than "no violence."

As a side-note, I also recommend people getting creative with redirection. It's far more fun to give a subtle hint that guards are there or of other contestants shying away from a volatile contestant than to do the "No violence in the outpost!" chant I see often. Heck, make it into a song! Make it fun! Fun is the best anti-drama there is really if there's something RPwise going on that's a bit uncomfortable. (And a mod call if they don't get the hint, always an option!)

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.72 seconds
New Topic Post Reply