Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 The Rookie Box
 |  Printable Version
Lea.wolfsfeld
 Sunday, October 05 2014 @ 05:58 PM UTC (Read 2592 times)  
Forum Contender
Contender

We have lots of new islanders! Its awesome! Now then, onto the meat of the subject.

I propose a Rookie Welcoming Box. This could be a Hunter's Lodge bundle set that can be gifted to a rookie and can only be opened/sent to a rookie. (2 or less DKs or something)

It could have a Name Colourizer, Custom Titles, a handful of cookies, a bag of req and a health certificate. (Makes going to the jungle a little less daunting)

I left out things like the race changer and so on to encourage that wonderful rookie stage that I so miss.

Also could add a "I helped a Rookie" badge to make people feel extra special.

And as usual this is just me rambling so feel free to ignore this.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Sunday, October 05 2014 @ 06:54 PM UTC  

This is a lovely idea, Lea! The Selection Boxes in the Lodge are similar, but those haven't been in stock for a while, and a shorter list of more relevant items sounds very nice.

I would be more inclined to give them a couple of req multipliers, however, than a bag of req, so there's more incentive to go out there and Jungle. I'd also be careful about the health certificate; a rookie might use it too soon (at level one) and negate the free healing. I do love the idea of giving them name color and title changers, though; colors and titles are a huge part of the social atmosphere, and I'm sure rookies would love to feel like they're fitting in better with those!

Semi-related: Soup & Pants recently did a volunteer event where we assembled in-character Care Packages for rookies. They might be a bit OP, but if you'd like some to hand out to rookies in-character as roleplay fodder, let me know!

Lea.wolfsfeld
 Sunday, October 05 2014 @ 07:14 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I would be more inclined to give them a couple of req multipliers, however, than a bag of req, so there's more incentive to go out there and Jungle. I'd also be careful about the health certificate; a rookie might use it too soon (at level one) and negate the free healing. I do love the idea of giving them name color and title changers, though; colors and titles are a huge part of the social atmosphere, and I'm sure rookies would love to feel like they're fitting in better with those!

Actually, this does sound better better. A lot better.

Profile Email
Lea.wolfsfeld
 Sunday, October 05 2014 @ 08:02 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Bah. This sounds better. Silly typos.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, October 05 2014 @ 09:14 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I like this idea. Smile How much should it cost?

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Sunday, October 05 2014 @ 09:25 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

I like this idea. Smile How much should it cost?

This seems like the midpoint between Hunter's Lodge Selection Box (seven bucks) and eBoy's Trading Station Selection Box (two). So... 445 supporter points? Or perhaps 395 or something, because not everyone can use it?

I dunno. It's a good idea, though.

Profile Email
Lea.wolfsfeld
 Sunday, October 05 2014 @ 09:39 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

$4 sounds like a good idea. And it give some of the well stocked Vets who have everything they need something to spend on when they feel that generous itch.

Profile Email
 Sunday, October 05 2014 @ 09:56 PM UTC  

$3-4 sounds great for something like this. Cheap enough that when you've got a bit of spare pennies, you can throw a few out, but not so cheap that every rookie on the game is going to have 50 of them. I can think of a couple people I'd love to send these to!

EDIT: It would also be excellent if we could get them in a bundle for a discount. I'm not sure... maybe $20 for ten, or... something in that price range? I'm not sure what would be a compelling bundle deal, but grabbing a handful of them at a time to sit on would be excellent.

CavemanJoe
 Sunday, October 05 2014 @ 09:59 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I dunno, for an impulse altruism thing that seems kind of high to me.

Profile Email Website
Lea.wolfsfeld
 Sunday, October 05 2014 @ 10:40 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Hmm. Maybe $2 then per box? I wouldn't say lower than $1. We also want to make sure Joe gets some moolah as well.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Sunday, October 05 2014 @ 11:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sort of depends on what's in it right? You don't want it to really be too much cheaper than the items themselves particularly, right?

Or maybe a slight discount?

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Docenspiel
 Sunday, October 05 2014 @ 11:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Rookies would get more use out of a Chronosphere than Health Certificate. A Title, Colour, three Cookies, two x2 multipliers and a Chronosphere is roughly $4.75. Dropping it to a flat $4 sounds like a deal.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Genevieve
 Sunday, October 05 2014 @ 11:30 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Docenspiel

Rookies would get more use out of a Chronosphere than Health Certificate. A Title, Colour, three Cookies, two x2 multipliers and a Chronosphere is roughly $4.75. Dropping it to a flat $4 sounds like a deal.

I like the sound of this, as a gift that large wouldn't be impulse altruism, it'd be thought-out altruism. Something you give to a new player not just because they're new, but because they're new and someone you feel you should invest in. I wrote a scene with a really delightful new player the other day, and would love to send them such a gift, as a thank-you for the scene.

New Players get a gift for saying hello, I think a gift like this should be for continuing encouragement, for people who are excited to be learning the ropes, players who, themselves, feel invested in the game.

Not to say that anyone is undeserving of such a gift, but more to say that someone would put thought into something of this value, and not dispense it without really feeling it, y'know?

And, as Esc said, buying a multiple pack of one? Totally amazing. Box of Rookie Boxes, because some people would like to be mega altruistic, and those who can would probably appreciate the discount on super bonus niceness. A Box of Rookie Boxes could come with an altruism multiplier or something. Something to encourage Vets and people with cash to give to buy a pack. (This ties in with the initial suggestion for a badge for this box. Previous bundle related badges were for rather expensive boxes!)

As long as such a thing can only be sent to a real rookie! I'd feel a bit sad if people started making alts to try and score a giftbox from a really nice person who gives gifts. That'd be a not cool thing. If there's any way to prevent that from happening that'd be cool.

(But a box of rookie boxes could be traded as long as it is unopened, for instance. Since a box of boxes wouldn't be all that useful to a singular new player)

Profile Email Website
Denealus
 Monday, October 06 2014 @ 01:14 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Really depends on what's in it, yeah. Adding up the normal cost of getting that stuff with a small discount for an incentive. I was thinking for a second "grades" of rookie boxes (like some could have chronospheres or super chronos while others just changers, etc.) but I think that'd incentive an "impress me rookie" mentality which I think would be counter productive to the altruism we're trying to put here.

But yeah! Chronosphere ($2.50) plus a couple of one use changers (75 cents each) plus a handful of cookies (5 would be $1.25) plus req multiplier ($1) for $3-4 would be worth it, with a discount for multiple rookie boxes! I do so love this idea.

Also for consideration, quills? Cause quills are awesome and giving a few quills to a rookie to test them out would be more awesome.

Profile Email
 Monday, October 06 2014 @ 02:22 AM UTC  

I think $3 is probably as low as would seem fair for something with those items in it, so as not to devalue them too much. I'd happily pay $3 on an impulse for someone who really delighted me. $4 doesn't seem like too much, to me.

Maybe a cheaper box for $1.50-2.00, with the changers, or maybe two of each changer, a couple cookies, and five or ten quills? As a separate item to purchase, because I really like the idea of giving out multipliers and chronos in these boxes.

I'm not certain about including quills in the first (general) rookie box; we don't want to overwhelm new players with a bajillion new features to try out, and specials aren't as useful as title changers for roleplay.

Tinkerbinker
 Friday, October 10 2014 @ 08:35 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I adore this idea - a small, cheap box to send to a delightful new player would be really nice!
I like the idea of the smaller box with the aesthetic items included. It'd make for a good player welcome!

(Though, I'd also probably buy the small title changers and things to send to anyone who's generally new.)

Profile Email
Lain
 Friday, October 10 2014 @ 04:24 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Genevieve

I like the sound of this, as a gift that large wouldn't be impulse altruism, it'd be thought-out altruism. Something you give to a new player not just because they're new, but because they're new and someone you feel you should invest in. I wrote a scene with a really delightful new player the other day, and would love to send them such a gift, as a thank-you for the scene.

Agreed. I'll throw cookies and gum at brand spanking new folks, but if I'm not sure they'll stick with it, I don' t think I'd invest much cash. Would be a shame for the player to leave and be removed for inactivity with $4+ worth of box in their Lodge Bag. But if I've seen someone around for a week or two, chatted in Banter, or storied with 'em, then absolutely. A nice small step up from an eBoy's box.

I vote for a chronosphere in the box, regardless of what else is in it. I think that's the most limiting thing for new players.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.20 seconds
New Topic Post Reply