Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Programming Help New Topic Post Reply
 Generating Negative Numbers from Positive Memories Tutorial
 |  Printable Version
Dirk Vanderhuge
 Thursday, October 16 2014 @ 07:46 PM UTC (Read 2294 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I have written up my clumsy but effective technique for utilizing negative numbers generated from a positive memory value. Questions, comments, and concerns are appreciated.

http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=places:advtut8

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, October 18 2014 @ 01:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Excellent stuff. Nice one. I've added links back to the main page at the bottom. Also: It seems that I can't count. My excuse is, I'm a mathematician. And seven's a big number. Confused

Profile Email
Dirk Vanderhuge
 Wednesday, October 22 2014 @ 05:25 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I thought about wading in to fix it, but decided to leave that to the professionals if they so chose.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, October 22 2014 @ 07:54 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Guess I should make an Invert function huh.

I DIDN'T EXPECT Y'ALL TO BUILD ENTIRE OTHER GAMES INSIDE THIS GAME

Profile Email Website
LydiaDefountain
 Wednesday, October 22 2014 @ 09:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That would be very useful yes. Save on a decent bit of programing and contraptions.

Profile Email
Dirk Vanderhuge
 Monday, November 03 2014 @ 07:36 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: CavemanJoe

*coughs*

>_>

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, November 06 2014 @ 08:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

*Ahem* also. Which is why a Set Thought place would be so useful. Have to say though, it wouldn't make Places simpler, just better. We'll take what we're given and twist it and stretch to extremes for which it was never intended. And we'll make some pretty damned cool places along the way.

As an example, here's an idea that I'm currently playing with. I'm building a place with quite a few NPCs, each with their own conversational paths. There will also be little tasks that you can do for various NPCs, which will predispose you to them them more, or possibly less if you cock it up. So far so good. This is already being done in at least one other place that I'm aware of.

This is my addition to that. Instead of having memory places devoted to each task and keeping track of that, just give each NPC a "favour" number from nought to nine, or in particularly special cases, nought to ninety nine. These values then go up and down as your guest does certain things. Much more flexible. No more having to consider which combinations of events might have happened, just one straight number that you can hook everything into. If your guest does something, this number can go up or down. Then forks in conversation paths or other events can just look at this number. Anything else that you dream up later can easily be added. This I can comfortably program with what we have.

What I would like to do with this is to go one step further still. Have NPCs' responses depend not just on their own favour number, but on those of other NPCs as well. So for NPC:Andy response to you. do a sum, 5xAndy's favour plus 4x his close friend NPC:Bill's favour, plus the favour of some poor down and out that everybody feels a bit sorry for. Minus 2x arch foe NPC:Charlie's favour. The resulting number (between -18 and 90) is what you then test against.

Just imagine what could be done with that! Whole webs of interactions between NPCs. Delicate systems that guests have to suss out. "I need to impress person A, but if I help them directly then person B will be pissed off with me. But if I help person C instead... That would be enormously good fun to write. Why yes, that is insanely large amounts of writing. Some of us are masochistic like that.

So that's what I would like to do, but at the moment the programming would be just too horrendous to contemplate.

And that is just one example amongst many of what exactly we'd get up to.

Of course what's holding me up at the moment is the Show Page Contraption refusing to show anything more than the first five or six hundred pages to choose from. So CMJ, is there any chance of sorting that? It only started a few months ago, I did file a petition at the time, but it happened just after Down Below first went live and you were busy debugging that.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Tuesday, November 11 2014 @ 05:45 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If I may be so bold as to propose a feature, I think you'd be better served creating a general "Math" contraption, which would allow the user to select two values, the operation to be applied to them, and the what the resultant value should be assigned to. I assume every possible operation will eventually be requested, so why not get them all done in one fell swoop?

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.66 seconds
New Topic Post Reply