Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 On the topic of food, a newbie's perspective
 |  Printable Version
Count Sessine
 Sunday, November 08 2015 @ 12:26 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Buford

The only other one that comes to mind is the Mini-Minotaur. It may also get away, I don't recall.

Oh, thank you! The Mini-Minotaur doesn't get away, and it had been missed somehow -- it now has meat.

Profile Email
Buford
 Sunday, November 08 2015 @ 07:20 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Missing meat: What about Other You(x7?). Seems like it would fit in with the Past/Preset/Future Self series.

Back to food. The cake of Cake or Death says that you are full of cake. Has anyone seen any indication of any affect at all? I suspect it is just there for the gamblers, but thought I would ask.

Profile Email
csodalatos
 Sunday, November 08 2015 @ 07:44 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Buford, I don't think it affects your fullness, but you've noticed the attack (and possibly defense) buff, right? That's the main effect, I think.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Sunday, November 08 2015 @ 06:58 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: csodalatos
Not quite yet, Buford - I think I'm waiting to hear back from Buddleia one way or the other because I have some questions about formulas. Once we do, I'm hoping to just fold our scratch worksheet's data into an easily interpretable form and tack it on to the older sheet since that's where everyone's linked anyway.

Whoop! Hairy Mary pinged me that I'd been mentioned on the forums! Sorry, I haven't actually played the game in a long time, much less kept the spreadsheets etc up to date. Glad they're still of use -- I'll be glad to help with the formulas etc, as much as I can remember, but please feel free to just edit things right there in the googledocs spreadsheets.

If you want to chat about numbers and stuff, Distract me in-game or email me buddleia378 AT gmail.com (email obfuscated to try and hide from spambots).

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Widdershins
 Wednesday, November 11 2015 @ 09:23 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: csodalatos an herb bonus that seems to exist at every pan except for the Basic Pan: that is, a roughly half-half mixture of herb and meat will give you double the normal amount of stamina per piece of meat.

Actually that information is rough to the point of being wrong. The 50/50 mix was starting point for our experiments. Nine herbs is the lowest number of herbs for seeing a tiny bonus (=works in a Basic Pan!), and twelve herbs is enough to get the 2x Multiplier on your meat, if you get the mix right.
My idea is to add this information to the wiki page so the adventurous can explore. And then link to the data sheet so that the unadventurous can cook efficiently right from the start.

The wiki page needs a first paragraph telling newbies that hunger is a valuable resource in this game. So there's no need to fill themselves to the max! and that they can pretty safely ignore hunger and stamina entirely. (Oh there is such information now, but not right at the beginning....)

Yep, I also noticed that something in the mix of ratpacks and underherbed meat is fattening. I should feed myself with herbed HD meat for some days, to test what it is.

I've always felt the chocolate bunnies should yield 3 servings of fatting Crap [strike]chocolate[/strike] Meat. Not for the food, just for the logic of the game. (Poor me, expecting logic when an Improbability Drive is lurking...) The Rice Cooker without food is fine, after all it could be an empty Rice Cooker straight from the cupboard that attacks you!

The Full of Cake buff adds ~30% to defense and ~25% to attack.

Profile Email
Buford
 Sunday, November 15 2015 @ 06:09 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I haven't come across a Mini-Minotaur since you updated it. I'm looking forward to seeing what meat it has.

What about the Other Selfs. There gets to be a group of about seven. Seems like it would be the same as Present Self per each.

I've collected some data on cooking. Having at least one of each herb and Meat/herb ratio of 50/50 maximizes the Stamina produced.

Profile Email
Sillie
 Friday, November 20 2015 @ 02:36 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

My tests, using an improved pan, indicate each herb adds 0.01% stamina, I see no multiplication effect.

Profile Email
Buford
 Saturday, November 21 2015 @ 04:53 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Sillie

My tests, using an improved pan, indicate each herb adds 0.01% stamina, I see no multiplication effect.

Do you have your test results? If so, it would be nice to have them added to the gDoc(see Quinn's post on Page1 of thread). The Improved Pan section is blank.

I use the Large Wok and can say that that section is accurate. I was going to add my tests but there is no need.

Profile Email
Sillie
 Monday, November 23 2015 @ 06:38 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Further testing, with a different alt character and a different mix of herbs (even balance) did show the bonus in the Improved Pan, and I added this to the gDoc. I will try other mixes.

Profile Email
Sillie
 Monday, November 23 2015 @ 07:24 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I added much more data on improved pan. From an alt. My main doesn't eat. Sillie robot, food is for kids! Oops, no kids on the Island, uh, food is for Humans. And Squats, ya fookin dickead! Fine, and it's for Kittymorphs, Zombies, Mutants, Jokers (optional), self-declared deities, angels, demons, etc. (gods know what they eat!).

I would have edited my previous post to add this, but the forum wouldn't let me. Filthy fuss-budget!

Profile Email
csodalatos
 Tuesday, November 24 2015 @ 05:23 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Hi Sillie, and thanks so much for adding Improved Pan data! (Widder and I, between us, have the other three pans, and a tester we'd been using seems to have been on a bit of a break recently).

For ease of reading, at some point, I might like to move some of the raw data into a separate tab, with your permission of course.

My intention (in order not to overwhelm newbies with data) was, when updating the Cooking tab to incorporate bonus information + information about the other pans, was to keep the front-facing Guide to Cooking Meat fairly limited (along the lines of what I've done for the Basic Pan and the 30-item pan: that is to say, an indication of what the best bonus is, as well as some indication of what the best raw stamina gain in the pan will be). Widder & I have been working out the bonuses of various herb mixes (the lowest number of herbs you can use to get a very minor bonus is 9; at 15 most herb mixes will get you the full 200% bonus; a 2-4-2-4 mix of 12 seems to be a fair tradeoff between economy of the rare herbs and the full bonus gain), but we've been doing it in a sandbox spreadsheet I created with my personal account and data transfer hasn't been full yet. This may not be optimal in the 20-item pan: it's not optimal (by the barest of whiskers) in the 30-item pan and I'd bet you would see a larger raw stamina gain, even without the full bonus, in your alt's pan.

That said, thanks for your work!

Profile Email
Sillie
 Wednesday, November 25 2015 @ 10:11 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: csodalatos

Hi Sillie, and thanks so much for adding Improved Pan data! (Widder and I, between us, have the other three pans, and a tester we'd been using seems to have been on a bit of a break recently).

For ease of reading, at some point, I might like to move some of the raw data into a separate tab, with your permission of course.

clipped
This may not be optimal in the 20-item pan: it's not optimal (by the barest of whiskers) in the 30-item pan and I'd bet you would see a larger raw stamina gain, even without the full bonus, in your alt's pan.

That said, thanks for your work!

You have my permission.

I think it's significant to mention even at the front face that you can get 2x with a singleton. In my experience, shortages of Scroteweed and Steelseed are common. Also, mention that the meat balance doesn't matter.

I didn't understand your statement about " ... I bet you would see ... ". Have you seen anything higher than 2x under any conditions?

It seems to me that the stamina cost to cook is low enough (even for raw rookies?) that one should maximize stamina per meat, not stamina per pan, while one has enough herbs to get the bigger bonuses. A FULL analysis would include (estimates of) the stamina costs to get the meat and the herbs, and maybe the costs in the player's time, but that would be a lot of work.

Profile Email
Widdershins
 Sunday, November 29 2015 @ 09:17 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Actually 12 herbs (2:4:2:4) is no trade-off, but the minimum requirement to get the full 2x Multiplier Bonus.

When you're running low on rare herbs (or meat) then you can use a 1:5:2:5 mix (13 herbs) or 1:7:1:6 (15 herbs) for full bonus.
That way you use fewer rare herbs, but more herbs altogether, leaving you with less space for meat. Compare stamina for 15 versus 12 herbs:

Improved Pan ... 10.3% ..... 16.24%
Large Wok ......... 30.3% ..... 36.24%
Master Wok ...... 50.3% ..... 56.24%

If you're running low on meat and have 13 or 15 slots to spare for herbs, using more herbs is the better option.
If you're running low on herbs, decide for yourself if you want to go for stamina maximum or for herb economy.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.07 seconds
New Topic Post Reply