Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Season Two Planning Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Commentary / Talkline icons
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Friday, December 05 2008 @ 04:34 PM UTC (Read 12286 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

Split from the "What I'm doing right now" thread. This is basically an extension to the commentary system that shows certain information and icons about the players in a chat area.

Here's a screenshot of the prototype. Not that the finished module probably won't look like this at all, but this is the general principle.

I'm not married to this idea, but I'll state my case here. I think it's a good idea because it makes interaction more natural - in real life you don't have to look too closely at someone (IE look in their bio) to see what gender they are. Well, most of the time anyway.

I also think it'd be a good area in which little icons could be awarded for bragging rights.

It could be good for roleplay, too; once the bugs are sorted with the custom weapon and armour modules, we can also make a sort of costume shop module (suggested by Sessine) which would change the race shown in the talkline.

Thoughts?

Profile Email Website
Fodder Kid
 Friday, December 05 2008 @ 05:49 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Damn it man. I just spit tea on my keyboard because you have a folder labeled MASSAGE in your toolbar.

If people can still name their mounts and someone's names theirs "blah blah blah blah blah blee blow blee blah blah blah beepers blah blah bleh blo blo bleh baby" and names their weapon something just as long, I would HATE to see a text wrap of a bunch of lines of gibberish.

FK

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, December 05 2008 @ 06:31 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

What? I do massage. Have done since... ooh, ten years now, on and off. The contents of the folder are mostly to do with massaging people with fibromyalgia; you've gotta be careful, 'cause of the pressure points and the fact that it's very hard for them to lie on their fronts for more than a few minutes.

Hell, at least I didn't leave something like "ginormous boobies" in my search bar.

There's always gonna be a character limit on mounts and equipment, so I don't see that being a problem. And if they take the piss, I'll just rename their mount to something embarrassing. Like "Harvey the ginormous booby."

Profile Email Website
Fodder Kid
 Friday, December 05 2008 @ 07:08 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

See I see a folder named MASSAGE and I instantly think Asian owned 'rub and tug'. I NEVER would have thought about a serious masseuse.

Fodder Kid (a perv apparently)

Profile Email
Epaphus
 Saturday, December 06 2008 @ 05:01 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Are you planning an option, CMJ, so that players who don't want to see all that text at the start of each line can turn it off?

Also, if five lines of text wrap is a problem, perhaps the solution is a "shorthand," where, say, "FG13" means "Female Gobot Level 13," or "BH" means "budget horse," and "OO" means "ginormous boobies." I know I'd love to have "OO" showing up every time my player self says something.

We can post a "key" to the FAQ or the Wiki.

Profile Email
Hermein
 Saturday, December 06 2008 @ 05:21 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Epaphus

"OO" means "ginormous boobies." I know I'd love to have "OO" showing up every time my player self says something.

Hmm, perhaps a new line of work for Dr. Paprika? Or one of the choices after a drive kill could be "Boobies +1".

Profile Email
Hermein
 Saturday, December 06 2008 @ 05:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have to confess that my first thought on seeing the screenshot was, "Damn, he needs a better font!" I'd go blind trying to read that all day.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, December 08 2008 @ 07:49 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

@ Epaphus - yup, there'll be a new entry in the Preferences page to control this stuff.

Also, I'm leaning more towards icons than text. ALT-text will be defined and meaningful filenames assigned, for people on screen readers.

Profile Email Website
Bodoni
 Tuesday, December 09 2008 @ 02:56 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Yeah, that would be fun, I think. I wonder how many people think that my character is male, from my username (my RL maiden name, which I happen to like very much).

I especially like the idea of little icons. And I'd love to show off my tatts, as it's probably something that someone could see easily just by looking at my character.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Tuesday, December 09 2008 @ 10:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Two words on screenshot: Yuck. Also, yuck.
There's already too much text in the common areas. This just adds, what, nothing. Other than spammed information that from an information design perspective, adds nothing. Moreover, it's non-consensual.
Let me explain: From my perspective, the only reason I call up information on a character in-game is A) If I want to kill them later in their sleep because they've been an arse, or if they have something interesting to say, and I find myself wanting to know a little more about them, IE, WHAT THEY'VE WRITTEN about themselves.
I don't care about their level, tats, stats, and something that rhymes with "...ats."
Moreover, from an RPing perspective (one of the things that makes II unique, improbably) it just adds textspam between ppl emoting and doing stuff in-game that is often more interesting than the game itself.
Here's an example: During all the non-LOL PVP Hajen/Rhi/et al drama, Sessine was doing what he does better than most and as well as anyone I've ever encountered. He was giving a reading lesson to a synaesthete in CC404. The text was written so well, and the moment so compelling and evanescent, I found myself doing something I rarely do, which was scroll back and read what had gone before. I wanted to read it, dammit! -- so as to get the whole scene he was adroitly creating.
So, all this to say, the extra text would only detract from such moments, which are, to some extent about 30 pct. of why I come here.

Dan, I love you to death, so take this in the spirit it's intended -- as a warning to a friend who is about to step in front of a bus.
I know you likely worked yourself ragged over this one, but it would be a crime to implement it, and I'm sorry for saying so.
Because, ultimately, besides the framework/world/codebase you've created, what makes II a wonderful place is the people and what (most of the time) they're enabled to do from a storytelling perspective.

We're both writers, so I'm sure you understand what I'm speaking of.

Kill this, as the Sheriff said, before it grows.

Love and respect,

~CTP

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, December 21 2008 @ 11:02 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Yikes - this looks like it could shape up to be a controversial one. I've had people PM'ing me on both sides of the argument, for and against. Weirdly, everyone seems to either love it or hate it.

Fair enough, then - we'll just give it an option in the player preferences, so you can decide for yourself whether you want it on or not. Smile

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Shallot
 Monday, January 12 2009 @ 02:16 AM UTC  

Bump! Sorry. Just wanted to confirm, would that option be off by default or on? It sounds like a useful piece of info for those who like that kind of thing, but like people have said, it's ugly and it really messes with the roleplaying aspect of the game, which seems to be mainly what keeps more experienced players coming back. It might be better if we could assume when posting that most people can't see the info, rather than the other way round, so that it's a little extra feature you can opt into. Otherwise the opt-out could end up feeling like a kind of wilful blindness, which could cause problems interacting with people who have it set the other way.

Sorry if this turns out not to make any sense, it suddenly seems to be 2am... Confused

SicPuess
 Monday, January 12 2009 @ 02:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What it currently looks like

I actually like it, and the icons are quite easy to understand, though they seem a bit ... very simple.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Shallot
 Tuesday, January 13 2009 @ 05:03 PM UTC  

Quote by: SicPuess

What it currently looks like

I actually like it, and the icons are quite easy to understand, though they seem a bit ... very simple.

Good point, I forgot about the new version. The little species icons could still mess things up a bit, but it's not nearly as much of a big deal as it might have been.

Zolotisty
 Wednesday, January 14 2009 @ 04:44 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I realize this may be a bit late. I also realize there are many more important things to worry about with regards to S2, but I can't help but squint at the current talkline icons. As I see it, you could get away with combining race and sex into a single symbolic icon. This would reduce chatspace clutter! For example:

and for female and male Jokers respectively..
or
and for female and male humans, though I'll be the first to point out that the grenade does not translate to this scale quite so well as a very small top hat.

And so on. Rotting zombie faces. Naked Kittymorph rump, etc., etc., rather than the current straight-on face designs. Allow donors to unlock special donor icons or upload their own instead of slapping them with the little pound sign. Successful completion of certain in-game plots could grant you access to other icons as well, and allow a player to establish their own little collection. Etc. Further reiteration of previous suggestions. Costume shop. Tremendous headache.

Please disregard if the current icons are simply placeholders!

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, January 14 2009 @ 07:59 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Those are awesome icons. Where are they from, did you make them yourself, will you make more if I give you Donator points, if you didn't make them then are they usable under a free license, et cetera et cetera.

Profile Email Website
Zolotisty
 Wednesday, January 14 2009 @ 01:43 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

- I made them. The ugly little grenades were referenced against a piece of public domain clip art from openclipart.org, Home of Legitimately Public Domain clip art. The top hats were drawn without reference.
- Yes, I will make more. Please make your demands. They take very little time to do and I enjoy the process, so don't feel as if you're being a dick if I hand you a bundle of them and you'd like six to be tweaked or totally overhauled.
- Bullet point!

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Hermein
 Wednesday, January 14 2009 @ 03:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ugly little grenades? Not so - I instantly knew what the were, and of course was very jealous of your ability to create them. Beautiful! I can't wait to see the Kittymorph. . . Wink

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, January 14 2009 @ 06:06 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

OK, you shall has DP's and I shall has icons. Smile

I'll need you to agree to some legal bumph, just to cover both of our asses (bloody hell, since when did running a website get so bloody complicated?).

LEGAL BUMPH:
You shall has DP's. I'll give you some. Tell me how long it takes you and I'll give you the going professional rate in DP's.
I shall has icons. Two ways to do this: you license them to me in exchange for the DP's and I can use them however I like, or you make them in exchange for DP's and put them into the public domain, so anyone can use them for whatever they like. I favour the latter approach, as it's more in keeping with the open spirit of the game, but I'm open to negotiation.

If that's okay, here's what I'd like:
...well, actually, I don't know. For KittyMorphs I'd figured a pair of boxers or panties and/or bra just kinda flapping away in the breeze as though carelessly discarded? For others... I don't know. I'd figured faces, but denoting them in a more abstract way is better, I think. Can of lager for Midgets? I really don't know. Knock yerself out. Smile

EDIT: Oh, can you make them as .png's? Then we can antialias them against any background. I'm really not fussed about IE6 users.

Profile Email Website
Hermein
 Wednesday, January 14 2009 @ 06:24 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Zolotisty, you will probably think of much better things than this. . . but just in case, this is what I would do if I had a glimmer of talent:

Strand of DNA for Mutants
Sickly green brain for Zombies
Just the top of a head for Midgets (probably with scowling eyes - sort of an angry Shmoo)
Shiny nut for robots
Knobbly tire for gobots

Of course CMJ should have a special icon, perhaps an All-seeing Eye? Lightning bolt out of the blue? Cigarette and teacup? Wink

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.58 seconds
New Topic Post Reply