Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Bugs, and features, and money. Oh my!
 |  Printable Version
Zoinks
 Sunday, June 21 2015 @ 03:16 PM UTC (Read 2726 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Our beloved Island is clearly having troubles. Maybe not troubles it hasn't experienced before... but still, troubles.
As of writing this we're a little over $500 behind in our monthly goal. We haven't had a single month since the addition of the 'How're we doing this month?' bar where it reached the end. (Mind you, we got close!) And the Kitty is below 2%.
Statistically, with the addition of the Monthly Mementos, the Island has been getting less income than before from donations.
There are more bugs than anyone wants to admit.
There are more ideas for new features than one person who dearly wants them to be a part of their game can possibly program when on a limited income.

I don't truly know what I'm trying to say here. Perhaps it's a suggestion to donate? Maybe it's time for a fundraiser? I don't know. I just want us all to be able to enjoy our amazing community together and maybe I'm seeing that the supports below it aren't all there.
For about half this month we were on track. I was so impressed and it made me so happy. But then it stopped.
Maybe people already have the Monthly Memento. Maybe people don't need anything from the Hunter's Lodge. Maybe people don't check the 'How're we doing this month?' bar. I don't know that either. Point is, it stopped.

I feel like... Like this had to be said. I'm probably wrong, but I just don't want to see the Island fall. I want Joe to be able to write up the 3rd season. I want to be able to RP an entire Island exploding then everything insanely fix itself, or whatever fucked up shit will happen next. I want to be able to do that all with the all of you. You wonderful, beautiful, amazing people all over the world who like acting weird and silly just to have a good time. I want this game to work smoothly with very few bugs, and I want new features to test out together and be baffled with with all of you. I don't want that to come from a Monthly Memento that Joe spent only a short while programing.

Does something need to be done? Is something wrong? Am I looking at things wrong? Do other people see the cracks that I see?

Profile Email
Grey
 Sunday, June 21 2015 @ 03:45 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Funding has probably been one of the island's longest standing issues, and honestly I have almost no idsight onto how to fix it, as in short it boils down to about 296 of the island's players donating $10 a month. Which seem like small numbers when you look at them. But for us to constantly miss funding fully means it's falling down somewhere.

Part of the problem is, as I see it, that those of us who donate regularly and have been around a long time, have little reason to donate any more other than the monthly memento, especially those of us who have infinite use changers. But that leads to another problem, because for new items to be made it has to be with Joe spending time making them, which means we need to forwards that money in the first place.

The other half is people that can't afford to donate because of the well, economy still being in the toilet. Honestly I thought the monthly mementos would do some good, not the opposite.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, June 21 2015 @ 05:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The monthly mementoes are reducing donations? That does surprise me. It's had the opposite effect on me personally. I used to sling in a tenner every now and then, which inevitably stretched out into two, three months. Now it's every month, regularly. And I know when it's been a month because I know whether or not I've got the advertised memento. I wonder what the mechanism behind that is? The economy hasn't suddenly got even worse since they came out has it?

Profile Email
Zoinks
 Monday, June 22 2015 @ 03:23 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Grey

Funding has probably been one of the island's longest standing issues, and honestly I have almost no idsight onto how to fix it, as in short it boils down to about 296 of the island's players donating $10 a month. Which seem like small numbers when you look at them. But for us to constantly miss funding fully means it's falling down somewhere.

Part of the problem is, as I see it, that those of us who donate regularly and have been around a long time, have little reason to donate any more other than the monthly memento, especially those of us who have infinite use changers. But that leads to another problem, because for new items to be made it has to be with Joe spending time making them, which means we need to forwards that money in the first place.

The other half is people that can't afford to donate because of the well, economy still being in the toilet. Honestly I thought the monthly mementos would do some good, not the opposite.

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

The monthly mementoes are reducing donations? That does surprise me. It's had the opposite effect on me personally. I used to sling in a tenner every now and then, which inevitably stretched out into two, three months. Now it's every month, regularly. And I know when it's been a month because I know whether or not I've got the advertised memento. I wonder what the mechanism behind that is? The economy hasn't suddenly got even worse since they came out has it?

CMJ has stated in Banter, when this topic is discussed, that, overall, the introduction of MMs has led to less of an income for the Island. Personally, as well, I feel I would have had a similar response, however I started playing after they were initially brought in to the game. (2 were already out of my reach as I did)

I don't know much about the economy as a whole, so I can't really get in to all that, but the MMs are doing good, in their own way! Instead of having erratic donations here and there the Island has more of a set and predictable income, in a way. At least, in theory.

Now, on the idea of a tenner being donated, CMJ said that next month we're getting TWO Monthly Mementos. I think you get 'em both when you donate $10. So, theoretically, that would near double what the Island's been getting for the past few months. Of course it's not going to actually turn out like that, but let's see how it goes, eh?

Also CMJ said we're gonna get the cold hard facts from him soon enough in here. That should be helpful towards the discussion.

Profile Email
Grey
 Monday, June 22 2015 @ 11:21 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Zoinks

Now, on the idea of a tenner being donated, CMJ said that next month we're getting TWO Monthly Mementos. I think you get 'em both when you donate $10. So, theoretically, that would near double what the Island's been getting for the past few months. Of course it's not going to actually turn out like that, but let's see how it goes, eh?

I can see that increasing donations, not qualified to hazard a guess at how much, but here is to hoping it's enough. The cold hard facts will also be interesting to see, even though they could be terrible and dire. *crosses fingers*

In all whole hearted honesty I do hope there is a way we can fix this.

Profile Email
Zoinks
 Sunday, June 28 2015 @ 03:01 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Yesterday the Island got about $200-300 in donations, the day ended with the Kitty at 2 bars full, whereas it started totally empty. As awesome as this may be we are still $800+ away from the monthly goal. I don't think this is possible in two days, sadly.

On that note, I'd like to mention something else. The Hunter's Lodge's stock. Despite having been here for a while I've only ever seen it re-stocked, like, twice. And those were just with the perma-changers. What about the Valentine's day cookies? Technically speaking, those are a limited product that are, as I've heard, re-stocked every Valentine's day. That didn't happen this year. As well, I've heard of a winter-ish sale that used to be an annual thing, which didn't happen this year either. Are the 100 pack of cookies gone for good? Are bundles gonna happen anymore? Do all these things bring in revenue? I would imagine so, but I don't have the facts on the matter. The current money making tactic is simply the Monthly Mementos, and next month we're getting something new in that department. So I guess we'll see, won't we?

Profile Email
Trowa
 Monday, June 29 2015 @ 01:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So, I had a small idea just now. What about a "special event" that changes every month, but cycles through 12 different events? Similar - in my mind, anyway - to the Rook Trader and the Holes & Crows games, but cost SP to play instead of req. Each event awards different prizes, which may range from, say, a crate or compliment of grenades, to one-off items from the Lodge like cookies or candy bombs. You could even win a different monthly memento from it? (Or a previously-released MM). The idea being, get players to spend their SP on fun little games of chance with the possibility of winning slightly better things than maybe one could get with straight-up purchasing them in-game, without making the game "freemium."

Notice how I'm not throwing out ideas for these mini-games. Wink I don't want to get too attached to this idea, because I know there are all kinds of holes that can be punctured through it. It would definitely create a fine balance between "when is awarding too many crates worse than the crates dropped from donations?" or "when is it no longer economical to award OST's when eBoy's is selling them too cheaply?" Especially when I know we have players who make it their goal to master every new feature CMJ throws our way. Wink But, hopefully by making these "limited time only" events, any market fluctuations would only be temporary.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Monday, June 29 2015 @ 02:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I also just realized my post is basically asking for "Moar Content PLZ", so I apologize if that's already in the slew of ideas on the board.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.68 seconds
New Topic Post Reply