Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Previous Monthly Memento Availability
 |  Printable Version
Sneaky
 Friday, July 24 2015 @ 02:50 PM UTC (Read 3983 times)  
Forum Contender
Contender

Gaining each new Monthly Memento should be increased to $10.

The previous month's Memento should be a reward for $5 donations or higher.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/560/004/989.gif

Profile Email
Zoinks
 Friday, July 24 2015 @ 07:38 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Hmm. Interesting idea... I was expecting a suggestion like this except switched around. As in, like, $10 gets you last months and $5 gets you this one's, as usual.

This way seems... pretty good to me, maybe. Except what about the people who might be like "Oh but the first year of MMs were all $5! Why do these one's have to be $10?!?!1"

Though, counter argument to myself... Next month they'll be $5 again. This is actually a pretty dang good idea.

Unless we have more double MM months.

Profile Email
Denealus
 Saturday, July 25 2015 @ 02:55 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Two problems with this. One, how do you differentiate? If I donate $10 for this month, am I buying "this month's mementos" or the previous ones? If I get both, then there's not really much of a monthly incentive.

The other would be that what is the incentive really for purchasing right away? If I can wait a month and just get it cheaper.

An alternative might be that you get it "free" with the donation of $5 (or $10) on the month it's issued. Later ones might cost 500 SP. So you actually spend something physical and it's more advantageous to get it on the month it's sold, but CMJ isn't potentially losing money and there's still a "cost" to getting it later.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Saturday, July 25 2015 @ 07:36 PM UTC  

I was actually thinking about this recently too! It seems to me that it would be grand if we could buy previous Monthly Mementos in the Hunter's Lodge, for $7-10 maybe. I got behind really fast on my Monthly Memento collection, and not being able to catch 'em all is discouraging. I'd donate plenty if I could use the SP to buy up all the ones I missed in previous months.

CavemanJoe
 Sunday, July 26 2015 @ 01:48 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Tenner a pop for the previous ones sounds promising. Smile Each time you donate to get a Monthly Memento you end up with a fiver's worth of points in addition to the Memento anyway, so it's not too much of a burden on the player.

Profile Email Website
Sneaky
 Saturday, October 31 2015 @ 01:32 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Alternate idea: instead of previous month, make it previous year.

One price for November 2015, a different price for November 2014 if you don't have it.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/560/004/989.gif

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, October 31 2015 @ 06:22 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Sneaky

Alternate idea: instead of previous month, make it previous year.

One price for November 2015, a different price for November 2014 if you don't have it.

That's a great idea!

It would keep the urgency about remembering to donate this month for this month's memento. We don't want people thinking, "Oh well... if I forget to donate before the end of the month, it's all right, I can just put it off for another month. It'll cost me more, but I'll still be able to get it." If you give people a chance to procrastinate, it quite often means they put it off again, and are even more likely to forget about the new deadline.

Even if they do remember their intentions the next month -- and are able to throw in the larger donation -- that still means they're probably only donating every second month, which is going to make CMJ's monthly income lumpier. The whole point of the monthly memento is to encourage more regular small donations from many people, so that CMJ has some idea what his income's going to be, and can budget, and know how much advertising he's going to be able to afford, and figure out whether he needs a day job, etc.

Maybe a year is too long, though. If the chance to fill in a gap in one's collection isn't going to crop up for a whole year, well... it's true the back-memento would then always be seasonally appropriate. But a year is a very long time in the relationships of most players with an online game. People who did hang around for a year may, if prodded by a MoTD, think, "Oh, yeah, did I want that? I did! Let me throw a little extra in this month to get it." But inevitable player turnover means there wouldn't be very many players who 1. missed a memento, 2. still want it, and 3. are still around after a year. (True, there'll always be new players who will start off with no back mementos, but that's going to be the case with any second-chance scheme.)

If you have to wait two months -- or three -- before you can get a memento you missed, that might strike a balance between an attractive second chance for a collector, and the really important incentive to donate now.

Come to think of it, it could be both. There could be a one-month window to get a missed memento from three months back. AND there could also be an opportunity to pick up any memento you don't have that is older than a year. Over time, as I said, there are going to be more and more players who weren't even around when those mementos were first offered.

It shouldn't be a regular Lodge option, though. That's supporter points. The thing that's special about the monthly mementos is that they reward NEW donations. So it would have to be code connected to the donations coin-slot, shown to any player who is missing mementos in the available time frame: "You are eligible for these older Monthly Memento rewards." With tick boxes, so the player can choose.

Profile Email
Sammi
 Sunday, November 01 2015 @ 11:48 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Count+Sessine

It shouldn't be a regular Lodge option, though. That's supporter points. The thing that's special about the monthly mementos is that they reward NEW donations. So it would have to be code connected to the donations coin-slot, shown to any player who is missing mementos in the available time frame: "You are eligible for these older Monthly Memento rewards." With tick boxes, so the player can choose.

That display could get bulky, which might discourage someone going for their first "straight" monthly. Possibly a note that previous momentos are avaiable with a "see list" button.

Profile Email
Eliza
 Sunday, November 01 2015 @ 12:33 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I really do not like this idea at all except for the getting to have the previous momentos. Since I'm Australian I already have to pay extra than the actual price. So if I end up donating $10 I actually am paying an extra $5 or $10. So its then $15 to $20. I also can't always donate because money can be tight. Another problem is people would just end up waiting to next month to donate just to get it cheaper. Rolling Eyes So people with different currencies would find it hard but the other way around would not be a bad idea. I don't mean to be negative and mean I just mean that it might cause some problems.

~ElizaClawson♥

Profile Email
Sammi
 Sunday, November 01 2015 @ 03:43 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Eliza,
This thread has been mainly a discussion of how to work around problems in the original idea.
You bring up another problem. One relating to currency exchange:

Quote by: Eliza

Since I'm Australian I already have to pay extra than the actual price. So if I end up donating $10 I actually am paying an extra $5 or $10.

I have trouble following this statement due to my not having to deal with exchange issues. Could you elaborate?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, November 01 2015 @ 06:22 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

The AUD to USD took a pounding this year. Unfortunately that's about as far out of my control as anything can be. Frown

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Sunday, November 01 2015 @ 08:19 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Eliza

I really do not like this idea at all except for the getting to have the previous momentos. Since I'm Australian I already have to pay extra than the actual price. So if I end up donating $10 I actually am paying an extra $5 or $10. So its then $15 to $20. I also can't always donate because money can be tight. Another problem is people would just end up waiting to next month to donate just to get it cheaper. Rolling Eyes So people with different currencies would find it hard but the other way around would not be a bad idea. I don't mean to be negative and mean I just mean that it might cause some problems.

Quote by: CavemanJoe

The AUD to USD took a pounding this year. Unfortunately that's about as far out of my control as anything can be. Frown

Yikes. That's even more painful than the exchange rates from Canada, Eliza, but we're almost in the same territory; all my USD donations have ballooned a lot. As you and I were saying last night in Banter, Canada and Australia do seem to be Just Like Each Other, Except Not At All, Really. Sister countries, with some striking family resemblances, and in other respects very different. Exchange rates always fluctuate. We both had a period of being almost at par with the US dollar, but I think those days are over. For a good while, anyway. The US economy is strengthening right now as compared to most other countries in the world, and, in Canada's case at least, a major factor is the unexpectedly low price of oil. Everything that's priced in US dollars costs more. Not much to be done about it but grit our teeth and get through as best we can.

I suppose I shouldn't be speaking for CMJ, since he's right here! but based on what he's said in the past, while he does very much want and appreciate donations to the Island, he doesn't want players donating money to him that they can't afford. He's been there on the edge too much himself, and isn't that far away from it even now. He knows what it's like. I can attest that he's left money on the table many, many times because he just won't do things that might push players into giving him money they need for essentials.

However, it's fair to compete with other amusements for Island players' entertainment budgets. That's what monthly mementos are about. They're always designed and priced to be fun little extras, never anything that's required to play or enjoy the game. They're not important enough to be worth going into debt for, or slicing into the rent money. They're the kind of thing players might choose to get instead of seeing a movie or going out for drinks one night.

You're absolutely right that getting past mementos to fill in gaps should always be more expensive than getting them during the month they're first offered. There shouldn't be any incentive for people to wait!

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.26 seconds
New Topic Post Reply