Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Stox and the Rookie Experience
 |  Printable Version
Zoinks
 Sunday, September 27 2015 @ 05:00 PM UTC (Read 5234 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

Stox, based on the removed Stocks from IC, is a fun little, as I've head it called, mini-game for us players.

But, look, one of the biggest problem this game has is attracting new players. As we've all heard before, it's an extremely niche game. While there does seem to be a steady stream of rookies, there's a not nearly as steady stream of players who will stay.

Now, think back to your first play. I know, when I first logged on, I wanted to Help that person. Fairly certain that person was Omega...
The second I click Help, and read that text, I was horrified. I literally remember the feeling running down my spine. What did I do to my character?!? I just started!
At the time, I was too scared of messing up anything else in the game to join Banter and ask for "Help." However, I tried out a few other links, found they were all just fine, then found I wasn't being molested by a tentacle monster any more, and went on playing the Game.

Based on what I've seen, almost everyone who's played II has had a similar experience with Stox.
All the time we're getting people who ask, "UH WHAT IS THIS PURPLE THING ON MY HEAD AN IN MY EAR I JUST WANTED TO HELP SOMEONE PLEaSE HELP MMMEEEEEE" or something like that. Player Chat and Story are they only place they get to ask that. If they are capable of reading, maybe they figured out that Player Chat is OOC and that they should ask for help there. But then, you get that sometimes the latest message in PC is anywhere up to 12 hours old, and no one's using it to help them out!

If I manage to talk to these people, I always tell them that Stox is a prank, and in no way affects your character. If they still press on, on the topic, I tell them that it has a Hall O' Fame for time and that its based on the removed Stocks, and that sort of calms them down.
But I'm just text. They don't know me yet. By default, player colours are off, and so all the text is just black to them. There's not even anything there for them to differentiate me from anyone else, besides my name. I don't mean something to this other person. They don't understand that we are one of the friendliest communicates to ever even exist.

None of that exists when you first start playing. Community is this game's selling point, and if someone gets scared off because somethings feeling up the inside of their ears, or because they think the game's abandoned, they are gonna run like hell.
And I know calling it a selling point kind of... makes the whole thing awkward, but in reality, it is.

And, I really think it needs to be at the forefront. We can't welcome people if they can't come to us, ya know?

tl;dr:
I think we should discuss each and every aspect a new player gets, here, so we can work to, perhaps, improve it.

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Sunday, September 27 2015 @ 07:09 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Has anyone had a positive experience with Stox as a newbie? (Genuine question - I'd like to hear your stories).

If not, might it be worth moving Stox to IC (where The Stocks used to be), so that people don't stumble into it until they've had a while to get used to the island?

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Monday, September 28 2015 @ 12:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have always felt fairly uncomfortable with both the Stocks and the Stox.

I like the joke, I mean the island is FULL of wacky jokes, all over the place.

This one though, with the unwanted touch and so forth... it is prettttttyyyy skeevy? It feels skeevy. That is the word I would use for it. And I second the 'move further from Newbies' idea. They will eventually find all the OTHER creepy stuff, but yes, maybe PV would make more sense? idk.

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Sammi
 Monday, September 28 2015 @ 05:40 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

My experience/reaction:
- see what "help" does
- oh! a trick/joke
- well someone else will fall for it and pull me out; just don't help in the future
- (found this thread) Eek! oh, so its a contest/game to see how often and how long you can be caught

Profile Email
Zoinks
 Monday, September 28 2015 @ 05:52 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Sammi

My experience/reaction:
- see what "help" does
- oh! a trick/joke
- well someone else will fall for it and pull me out; just don't help in the future
- (found this thread) Eek! oh, so its a contest/game to see how often and how long you can be caught

If you check the Hall O' Fame, there's two different spots referring to Stox. One is total time, and the other is longest time of one session.
Besides this, Stox has no other effect.

Profile Email
Jack Aristide
 Tuesday, September 29 2015 @ 10:11 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I would think merging Player and Character back together would benefit the Rooks, all the separation of chats lead to is ignored Rooks.

I'm kinda a person of some small importance.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Wednesday, September 30 2015 @ 04:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Rather than merging the two chats back together again, maybe it would be better to simply encourage existing players to develop the habit of popping into Player Chat every once in a while (even if they are busy talking in Character chat) to see if there are questions that need answering or rooks that need befriending.

The separation of Player and Character chats was kind of a weird solution to kind of a weird semi-problem, but I don't see a better solution, and it seems to be working out okay.

Back to the topic. I'm not a rookie by any means, but I did not find my first and only Stox experience "funny" or "interesting" or whatever. It was just gross. I assumed someone would get me out, and they did, but it's a good point that new users may just find it unhappily bewildering.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Wednesday, October 07 2015 @ 03:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A conversation I saw in Banter yesterday:

[13m34s] Player 1 says "Help me! I got a monster on my face apparently"
[11m12s] Player 2 says "Ah, don't worry about that! That doesn't cause any harm to you at all. Just adds to the amount of time you've held the thing, which is counted in the Hall of Fame."
[10m27s] Player 1 says "Oh, thanks. New here."
[06m22s] Player 1 says "I guess having a closer look at stuff and 'finding out why the man is smiling' aren't good things to do either. Are they?"

New players are launched into an unfamiliar world full of unusual writing, where they're not entirely sure what is going to hurt them. If one of the first curious clicks they make results in something that sounds really scary, and they can't figure out what's happening to them, there's a chance they're going to be scared off of clicking the other links that appear in outpost text.

Those links sometimes benefit the player or are part of minigames that CMJ has put time and thought into making, but it goes to waste if new players are wary of even trying it out.

Profile Email
Lain
 Thursday, October 08 2015 @ 02:15 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I remember as a new player actually being afraid to pet Crazy Audrey's kittens because I thought she could send me to the Failboat. I didn't click questionable things for a long time, in fact--until I realized the Failboat was merely inconvenient, and also had some extra chronospheres. So on the one hand, I would never have clicked that link as a Noob, and by the time I would have tried it, I'd have known nothing could actually hurt me in any permanent way. On the other hand, if that's the first thing a new player does...well, yeah, I can see that being less than welcoming, but also a fairly gentle way to tell new characters that nothing they click will really hurt them. I guess I'd have to come down on the side of 'a bit scary for new players' if only because being in Stox doesn't do anything helpful, while seeming to be pretty terrible.

Profile Email
Sillie
 Wednesday, October 14 2015 @ 12:35 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I am against recombining the chats, unless we can exile the off-topic noise (Flight Rising, Undertale, Xcom, what the player had for breakfast) to some place else (Common Ground, Location 4, Joe's Diner, etc). Right now, Character Chat is too noisy to be useful to be a narrator comment area for Story.

I support moving Stox to a different Outpost.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Thursday, October 15 2015 @ 02:58 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I am against recombining the chats

I don't think recombining the chats is really under consideration here at all. Those areas you listed aren't out-of-character areas - they're part of the in-character game world, so they wouldn't be good substitutes for out-of-game chat. It's been 9 months since it was implemented and by and large it seems to be working great. I think this thread is really mainly about Stox. By extension, NewHome-specific or rookie-specific experiences.

Profile Email
CloudySky
 Sunday, November 15 2015 @ 06:53 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Hi,

as a new player, I found Stox a bit confusing. I wanted to 'help' the other player, got the nice little parasite jumping to me, rolled my eyes a bit (What did I expect would happen, really?)...
Then noticed that being caught seemed to have absolutely no effect at all?! I chalked it up to a little bug and went on exploring.

While I did appreciate the fact that getting caught didn't block me from exploring my new environment, it might have been interesting if it would have somehow given me the little push I needed to enter the chat and get introduced to my nice fellow contestants. (In the end, the Mystery of the Hunger bar did that.)

I have no idea if it's even possible to make the Stox experience something that allows you to get out of it while staying IC.
I just wanted to put in my two cents stating that, for me, Stox wasn't anything that would have scared me off. (The Jokers, on the other hand... ;-) )

Cloe

Profile Email
Buford
 Sunday, November 15 2015 @ 10:51 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Clinking the help link for that Stox-stricken character was the first thing I did after reading the page above. Same feeling of "what did I just do to my brand new, naked character?!" as mentioned before. Didn't even occur to use the chats, and if it had, I wouldn't have known which of the three to use. Before long, I clicked on something shiny and forgot about the Stox. Didn't think about it again until I saw it again. Won't touch it. Didn't know anything about the timer until this thread.

So, the Stox is only in NewHome? Did not notice that. It would be better in PV or KT. Give players a chance to roam a little, instead having something oozing in their ear two minutes into a new game.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.09 seconds
New Topic Post Reply