Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Unfinished NaNoWriMo Novel
 |  Printable Version
Trowa
 Sunday, November 08 2015 @ 08:19 PM UTC (Read 4644 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Guess I'll kick this one off.

So, what does it do? So far, little.

Unfinished NaNoWriMo Novel (November 2015):

A notebook containing an unfinished National Novel Writing Month novel.

Use Text:
You sit down to write another thousand words on your continually-neglected NaNoWriMo novel.

It's hard going, and you lose some Stamina.

You're sure it'll be worth it once complete.

You lose 5% Stamina with every use.

However, you can only Use it once a day:
No, no more today. The last thousand words were hard enough.

Thankfully, chronos work just fine.

For those of you who don't know, the goal of NaNoWriMo is to write a 50,000 word novel in the 30 days of November (hence: National Novel Writing Month). My hypothesis so far: Unlike the Halloween Egg that was tied to a specific date, you must use this memento 50 times before its effect changes. (50,000 divided by 1,000 = 50. Get it?)

Aaaaaand: Go!

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Sunday, November 08 2015 @ 08:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I was wrong! It only takes 30 times!

You've finished your NaNoWriMo Novel! Your 30,000-word bizarro alternate history treatise is finally complete! You get a HUGE sense of accomplishment from this, and you gain a lot of Stamina!

ACK! I got a 500% stamina boost for this! O.O ...now to figure out what to do with all that stamina!

Also, trying to re-use in the same day results in this message:

You still feel proud of your bizarro alternate history treatise, but not so much that looking at it twice in one day will give you double the warm fuzzies.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Sunday, November 08 2015 @ 11:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Okay, so, after further checking, once you've finished the NaNoWriMo Novel, the name changes to Completed NaNoWriMo Novel November 2015:

A notebook containing a completed National Novel Writing Month novel.

Use Text:
Holding your completed NaNoWriMo novel in your hands gives you a warm, fuzzy glow of accomplishment. You're proud of your 30,000-word bizarro alternate history treatise. You feel like you can take on anything today.

You gain some Stamina!

It grants a 5% stamina bonus.

SO WATCH YOUR USES, EVERYONE. Unless you just like an unexpected 500% stamina bonus. Razz

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Monday, November 09 2015 @ 03:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I feel like there's a joke in here somewhere.

The builder who wanted a stamina boost.

Getting the unexpected stamina boost...

I dunno... insert joke?

Oops!

**You know I love you Trowa.**

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Monday, November 09 2015 @ 03:19 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Some kind of Twilight Zone thing!

Submitted for your approval, the story of one construction engineer named Trowa, who after years of building decided to take time off to write a novel. When he finishes his novel, he surprisingly finds himself with enough stamina to build the Empire State building with his bare hands, only to discover to his horror that there is simply nothing left to build... "I didn't know! I. Didn't. KNOW!"

Doo-dee-doo-doo, doo-dee-doo-doo, doo-dee-doo-doo...!

Profile Email
Sash
 Tuesday, November 10 2015 @ 01:13 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

"Holding your completed NaNoWriMo novel in your hands gives you a warm, fuzzy glow of accomplishment. You're proud of your 30,000-word dinosaur erotica epic. You feel like you can take on anything today.

You gain some Stamina!"

Alternate history, tsk, get on my level!

Profile Email
Trowa
 Tuesday, November 10 2015 @ 03:53 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Sash

30,000-word dinosaur erotica epic.

Found Christie Sims!

Profile Email
Buford
 Sunday, November 15 2015 @ 06:37 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

From a newbie's perspective, I make a donation and am given homework Confused . That is a show-stopper. I won't open homework to find the instructions. It is a game. I'm taking it seriously. That thing can rot in the back of the closet having never been opened. But it is a Memento, so I'm not going to Drop it.

Now that I know that there is some use, I might do something with the book. Once I can (My Use button does not work.).

Now the question from me is, are there instructions on how Mementos work in general?

Profile Email
Trowa
 Sunday, November 15 2015 @ 06:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buford

From a newbie's perspective, I make a donation and am given homework Confused . That is a show-stopper. I won't open homework to find the instructions. It is a game. I'm taking it seriously.

This part confuses and mildly upsets me. You're not actually writing anything, it's just flavour text. Frown It also shouldn't be taken too seriously (See Rule 2).

(My Use button does not work.).

If that's true, you should submit a Petition. Unless you just haven't actually clicked on the memento itself to reveal the "Use" button?

Now the question from me is, are there instructions on how Mementos work in general?

I think you can find out what Mementos are in the Memento Forge in any outpost. A normal memento made by any player has a Description that is visible in your shoebox in your Inventory (you only get a shoebox if you have a memento). It also has a "Use" description that reveals a hidden flavour text at the top of the Inventory screen (the screen reloads to show this to you). You can find more information in the wiki here: http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=mementos

However, Monthly Mementos are special, because the Use function actually does something beyond present Flavour text. This is why they're so coveted. There is a list of the Monthly Mementos and their functions in the wiki here: http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=monthly_mementos

Hope that helps alleviate any stress!

Profile Email
Buford
 Sunday, November 15 2015 @ 08:43 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I still have not figured out how to quote in here, please bare with me.

I think you addressed the problem with my Use button. I was expecting it to bring up a page to type in. Which it doesn't. I did finally notice the message that I had strained enough for one day, and figured it out for myself(but you had probably replied by then). So the Use button is working, and I don't need to open a Petition; which is good.

My typo--I left out the word 'not'. I was taking the 'writing' literally, but none of it too seriously. Assigning something to do isn't likely to make me stop playing.

I've bookmarked that link. Thanks, it helps. Of course this month's is not there yet.

My problem is one of ignorance and timing. (Which is good because it can be fixed with experience.) Not knowing how Monthly Mementos work and having my first one be a book that gives no instructions or indication on why it could possibly be useful.

I'll quit whining now. Thanks for your help and this thread.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Monday, November 16 2015 @ 07:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

My typo--I left out the word 'not'. I was taking the 'writing' literally, but none of it too seriously. Assigning something to do isn't likely to make me stop playing.

Awww, sorry! My mistake! That makes a LOT more sense now! Oops! Laughing Out Loud (I even thought to myself later in the day "I wonder if they meant 'not seriously'?")

I've bookmarked that link. Thanks, it helps. Of course this month's is not there yet.

Fixed! Big Grin

I'll quit whining now. Thanks for your help and this thread.

You're welcome! Sorry for causing confusion!

Profile Email
Buford
 Tuesday, November 24 2015 @ 12:51 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Is there a way to tell how many days we've written the novel?

Profile Email
Trowa
 Tuesday, November 24 2015 @ 05:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Is there a way to tell how many days we've written the novel?

Not that I saw. I had already used mine a couple times before I started keeping track myself, but I was able to figure the total from the flavour text at the end and the number of Chronos I used. (I had 27 and bought a new one, that's when the memento transformed.)

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.05 seconds
New Topic Post Reply