Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Outpost System--Mini Maps
 |  Printable Version
Lain
 Friday, January 08 2016 @ 03:55 AM UTC (Read 4472 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Ahhh, NewHome looks great! Joe's Diner is a jug, and the very slight dimensionality to the buildings is great. And the hole--yeah, that's a big hole. I SEE A FOUNTAIN.
So. Ahem. That was my initial reaction, and then I wandered....

It took me a moment to realize why the links settled only after I'd walked around; makes sense from the view of a new player that they don't have access to everything until they explore. Love the random nooks and crannies for story places and I can imagine interesting things taking place behind eBoy's.

I'll just say I was momentarily disoriented the first time I used a quick link and came out on a different section of map, but of course I did.

Will certainly play around with it more. Everything seems to work as it should!

Profile Email
quinn
 Friday, January 08 2016 @ 03:03 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Enjoying it myself too! I like that the HoF has CRT monitors. I don't know, it made me laugh.

As far as suggestions for CMJ... The way that the whole center of town is the same chat area is great, but it would be cool to have a way to broadcast a post or two to the whole Outpost. In the case of big and silly things happening, like a Joker making it rain purple or something.

Profile Email
Sillie
 Friday, January 08 2016 @ 04:35 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Is this the place to report 'bugs', or should those still be petitioned, or something else?

Profile Email
Lain
 Saturday, January 09 2016 @ 06:48 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Sillie

Is this the place to report 'bugs', or should those still be petitioned, or something else?

You can probably post it here. Or start a new thread, whatever.

And no, I did not see a fountain, boo. I'm sure I even walked over the Hall O' Fame and still thought it was a fountain. Ah, well.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, January 09 2016 @ 10:47 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Lain

Quote by: Sillie

You can probably post it here. Or start a new thread, whatever.

And no, I did not see a fountain, boo. I'm sure I even walked over the Hall O' Fame and still thought it was a fountain. Ah, well.

RE: bugs: Petition 'em.
RE: fountain: oh, you'll see. Mr. Green

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Thursday, January 14 2016 @ 04:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like it! I especially like that each square inside the walls has a unique description for what's nearby ("stereo grunting effect"). Laughing Out Loud

I noticed that the walls themselves don't have any unique descriptions, nor are there any turrets from the 'legacy' description ("The people manning the turret-mounted machine guns are chatting jovially with each other and sharing cigarettes"). I am a bit suspicious, based on one square's description, that reinforcing the outpost walls may almost become a minigame of 'find the bit of wall with the least HP before monsters tear a hole through it!' Smile

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Friday, January 15 2016 @ 04:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh, now I thought of something! So, the nine squares in the middle share a Story chatspace. That's great! I think it would be nice if we could visually see that, though, on the map. Like, some kind of border that's a little more intuitive than the ground looking a bit more worn down, or the buildings kept to the outskirts. Or even just something like stakes or poles in the corners - no stated purpose, just markers to visually clue people in. Yes, it's in the text to a degree, and it's outright stated in the instructions, but until I explored the whole outpost, I didn't know where the center was and which eight squares around it were the 'Communal Story' squares. (I'm not good at naming things.)

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Saturday, January 16 2016 @ 02:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It's pretty cool. Thanks for letting us share the shifter around to see it.

One thing that I was musing on, not really sure where to put it...

It seems like when I first started here there was a lot of pride that we had a game system that was accessible to blind players. Now a lot of the new stuff seems very visually focused (Down below, the new outposts).

I don't... really have any pointed thing to say about that? I'm a sighted player and honestly rarely 'play' as much as I used to. But it just seems... interesting to me? Is there maybe a shift in goals happening?

Moo

Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Widdershins
 Friday, January 22 2016 @ 09:58 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Maybe CaveManJoe caved in to the need of making the island more marketable?

All the links are still there, the island is no less play-able to a blind player. For a blind player, it might possibly even be easier to retrieve a link from an alphabetic list. As a sighted player, I find the old-style menu more accessible; links are easier to find when the menu is broken down into paragraphs/quadrants rather than a looong list. CMJ Can you incorporate that into the new menu?

I imagine the minimaps are more welcoming to a new player, more inviting to explore. I sure had a lot of fun exploring and reading your quirky descriptions. However, I think the exploring might grow kinda old by the time you reach your third outpost and realize that they're 70% made of the same ol' links/places. I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but I worry there might be a mismatch between all the sweat you put into writing (and programming!) the new outposts and the fun that players glean from exploring them.

If I may pick more nits, navigating the new outposts is a little more inconvenient, eg if you want to take a quick peak at at threat levels (or any other link) you need more clicks to get back to chat. Something to keep in mind for further development.

Some general thoughts:
What if rookies venture into the wild without buying arms or banking their req, because they never explore as far as Sheila's or Elessas's?
What if they don't 'get' that it's tiresome and dangerous out there, all unlike their first steps in the outpost?
What if you want to add new features (like Down Below) but run out of space on the minimap?

And now let me rain on your parade until the hole floods and double-serves as a village fountain Wink
Why are you so adamant that there is no fountain? Why not leave it open so people can story either way?
The HoF never ever features in story, and I don't know anyone who's jungle-grinding centers on the HoF.
It really feels off that the HoF is given such a promiment place at the center of the village.

By now you're probably ready to drown yourself in the flooded hole. Or at least write up a monster about horrible, horrible players that leave no good hair on your labour of love Wink
The new and improved dimensional phaser will come with a nag gag. And new and improved Widders will come with lots of thanks for 8 years of tireless work on the island!

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, January 23 2016 @ 12:37 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Widdershins

...I find the old-style menu more accessible; links are easier to find when the menu is broken down into paragraphs/quadrants rather than a looong list. CMJ Can you incorporate that into the new menu?

Seconded.

Quote by: Widdershins

Why are you so adamant that there is no fountain? Why not leave it open so people can story either way?

Good question. You may want to meditate upon that a little. And go back and check out that one square which doesn't have a fountain occasionally. Big Grin

Also CMJ, could you prioritise putting in a log out link as well?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, January 30 2016 @ 07:33 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

RE: blind players; all of what I'm doing is still fairly accessible, with text descriptions and whatnot.

RE: something only partially related; yeah, one of the things coming up is that each Outpost needs a bit more in the way of differentiation, so right now I'm making a new thing for Kittania and AceHigh. Big Grin

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.93 seconds
New Topic Post Reply