Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 The Wizard's Sleeve and the Mineral Appraisal Hut
 |  Printable Version
Zoinks
 Wednesday, April 13 2016 @ 10:44 PM UTC (Read 9801 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

New toys to play with, yay!

Two new buildings were added:
The Wizard's Sleeve in Kittania and
The Mineral Appraisal Hut in AceHigh.

These two buildings go hand in hand.

If you want to discover what these do, and how they work, on your own, then STOP READING AND JUST GO CHECK THEM OUT!
If you'd rather just know, keep reading! (TL;DR at the bottom.)

The Wizard's Sleeve in Kittania is where we're going to want to start. It sells really nifty stones that help you do stuff!

Each stone has four different sizes -
Small:

Medium:

Large:

Huge:

And there are four different types of stones -
Arony:

Bizetal:

Itonaniss:

Metamiranite:

(If you designed these, CMJ... Beautiful work!)

Now, what do they do?
According to the Morph selling them in Kittania...
Arony gives you stamina.
Bitzetal gives you attack and defense. (Need this to be confirmed.)
Itonaniss heals you.
Metamiranite gives you luck.

The larger the stone, the better the buff.

All of these seem to activate UPON NEW DAY. So, the second you purchase them, you don't get any buffs.

On top of this, these stones are not yet at their full potential!
The Mineral Appraisal Hut now comes in to play!
This is the fun part.
Each stone has a name, as we learn by the assertive Joker in the hut.
To find the names we must play...
MASTERMIND.
For those not familiar with Mastermind, it is a game of logic in which there is one player who creates a code and one who attempts to guess it.
The board game version features pegs with different colors in a particular order. As the player who creates the code, I can see it, but my opponent can not. It is the codebreaker's job to guess possible codes and the codemaker's job to tell if the pegs are the correct color, or the correct color and the correct place at the same time.
For example, if the code is Red, Blue, Orange and the guess is Orange, Blue, Green then the codemaker would tell that there is one peg of the correct color in the wrong position and one peg of the correct color in the correct position. It is up to the codebreaker to tell which peg is correct or not and to use logic to come to the correct pattern in a certain amount of moves.
(I once calculated that, with the board I was using, it's impossible to not break the code. Obviously, this was a child's version.)

So, to name a stone you do that! But instead of colors, we have randomly scrambled letters. And... instead of 4 or 5... we have up to 12.
So it takes a bit more work, but it's only limited by your cig count! Each guess costs 1 cig.
As well, with each guess, you're only told if you find the EXACT letter in the EXACTLY correct place.
Seems rather limiting, neh?
Well, that's only half of it. You can also do what's called Divination. Divination will tell you if the exact letter is in the word, and not if it's in the correct place.
Also, you can't choose the words used for Divination, they are selected somehow every 24 hours. (This may also been ever natural NewDay. Not certain at this point.)

I would give you some examples here, but there are some in the Hut already when the Joker explains it.

So. That's the basics of the newest update. All that's left now is to find out exactly how much of a buff each stone gives at which size and before and after it's named.
Have fun!

TL;DR:
The Wizard's Sleeve in Kittania sells stones for cigs that give cool buffs.
The Mineral Appraisal Hut in AceHigh lets you name the stones playing Mastermind to get even better cool buffs. (This also costs cigs.)

Profile Email
Zoinks
 Wednesday, April 13 2016 @ 11:32 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Update:
It's been discovered that both named and unnamed Stones persist through Drive Kills.

So naming all four Huge ones will result in constant buffs forever!

Also you can send them, named and unnamed, to people for 1 SP.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, April 13 2016 @ 11:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm going to take a guess here that the length of the name depends on the size of the stone, and perhaps on the type as well. Unless you know better.

Just a thought.

Profile Email
Zoinks
 Wednesday, April 13 2016 @ 11:57 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

I'm going to take a guess here that the length of the name depends on the size of the stone, and perhaps on the type as well. Unless you know better.

Just a thought.

I forgot to mention that, but you're exactly correct! Length of the name is exactly the same as the cost in cigs. Largest being 12, smallest being 5.

Profile Email
Zoinks
 Thursday, April 14 2016 @ 08:20 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

So! Some people seem to have some trouble finding the best way to find a Stone's Name.

I'm going to break down my process, as well as some tricks Lain and I found out. (Thanks Lain!)

To start, this is just how I do it. There are more strategies and what not that others use.

Anyways... At first I like do a Divination or two! These are great for helping me focus on certain letters.
For example! Let's say we start with Elmecharenar and we get 6 hits. Great! Now, I like to take the most used letter and test it out in the Name thing.
EEEEEEEEEEEE is what I test, and I get 2 hits! Nice!
(Quick tip: The text box only allows the maximum amount of characters, so when just mashing a single character, you can actually MASH. You don't have to count them out!)

The tricky part about Divination is that so long as a letter is in the word it will cause a hit. So all 3 Es in elmecharenar cause a hit, despite there being only 2 Es in the word.

After marking all the Es in elmecharenar as positive, I am left with lmcharnar. Now I'd like to test either A or R. And after doing both, I discover that A is not in the word, but R is twice. Wonderful! Now we have lmchn. And we also know 5 of the 6 letters in elmecharenar, meaning that at 4 of the letters in this word are NOT in the Name. Which is good to know for future. After testing some more, I find that the L is our man, and with 2 hits, as well! M, C, H, and N can be crossed out of the alphabet, now.

With this single Divination, and about 5 or 6 Name tests, I found half of the letters in the word!
(This particular one just happened to be really lucky.)

(Quick Tip: A Divination with 0 hits is the best possible thing! It means that every letter in the Divination is NOT in the word! Great for process of elimination!)

After one more Divination and a little bit more guess work I've found that the letters of the Name are as follows: D, E, L, O, R, and S. Two of each.
Now's for the fun part. Lain and I, (Mostly Lain), discovered the Stone's tendencies towards trying to have a Name that looks like a name... to some degree.
You can see my process for this one here. http://i.imgur.com/NRF5meV.png
(Quick Tip: In that image you can see I don't add any letters for the end of so guesses. This works really well when you know all the letters, but not the order.)

As you can see, at the end there, I even skipped the last two because I know it's more likely for a word to end in es rather than se.
As well as that, you can sorta see my process of forming a "word" for the Name.

Few more misc. tips:
-Write it out in paper or on a GDoc! I don't think it's possible to do this all in your head, at all.
-Test out common letters like you might in Hangman. S, T, M, etc. are really common in this, too! (Though, it is still quite random. Don't forget that Z still can be in the mix!)
-On cig cost of Naming... It's likely, if you play it REALLY smart, the lowest you're gonna get is near 25 cigs. Likely more. If you do strictly process of elimination, it's likely to cost around 100 cigs. Be prepared to dump a bunch!

Happy codebreaking!

Profile Email
Zoinks
 Thursday, April 14 2016 @ 09:45 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

If you're still thoroughly confused by all this, having trouble, or just plain don't want to deal with it... I'm offering a deal for you or a loved one!
Just let me know which type you'd like and send me a pack of 75 cigs (or some sort of equivalent.) and I'll get you a Named Huge Stone!

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, April 14 2016 @ 01:41 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Notice that the list of previous name tests is rendered in a fixed-width font? I use hyphens to fill in blank spaces and avoid false positives. It makes the list easier to read. Example:

PHP Formatted Code
eeeeeeeeeeee (1)
eeeeee------ (0)
------eeeeee (1)
------ee---- (0)
--------ee-- (1)
--------e--- (1)

An expensive way of doing it, but I have unlimited cigs on my admin account, so. Mr. Green

And yes, the names are generated with a random word generator - most of them should follow at least loose rules of English and end up somewhat pronounceable, so you won't get names like Jshkylrnqyzk.

Profile Email Website
ace mcyntyre
 Thursday, April 14 2016 @ 10:04 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Ok. Love the new stuff, but I have a quick question.

Will having multiple of the same stone, such as a small medium large and huge, named all, stack, or will the largest override the rest?

As well, can you even have multiples of the same? Like 2 huge named arony or the like? Just curious.

Profile Email
Zoinks
 Thursday, April 14 2016 @ 10:15 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: ace+mcyntyre

Ok. Love the new stuff, but I have a quick question.

Will having multiple of the same stone, such as a small medium large and huge, named all, stack, or will the largest override the rest?

As well, can you even have multiples of the same? Like 2 huge named arony or the like? Just curious.

The effects do not stack. The most powerful Stone you own of each type will be the only ones to give you any sort of effect.
Unnamed Stones' power levels simply go by size, huge being the strongest. Named Stones do the same, except that the smallest has more power than the largest unnamed Stone. A huge Named Stone is the strongest.

You can OWN as many Stones as you can afford. They do not weigh anything in your backpack.

Profile Email
Widdershins
 Saturday, April 16 2016 @ 04:59 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Wait, so each stone comes in the following strengths, right? From strongest to weakest:

Named Huge
Named Large
Named Medium
Named Small
Huge
Large
Medium
Small

Now the Joker makes it sound like a stronger stone cancels out any weaker stone, so getting a stronger Arony would void the Bizetal and Itonaniss and Metamiramite, too. Is that so or do they only overpower the weaker stones of their own kind?

Profile Email
Zoinks
 Saturday, April 16 2016 @ 06:30 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Widdershins

Wait, so each stone comes in the following strengths, right? From strongest to weakest:

Named Huge
Named Large
Named Medium
Named Small
Huge
Large
Medium
Small

Now the Joker makes it sound like a stronger stone cancels out any weaker stone, so getting a stronger Arony would void the Bizetal and Itonaniss and Metamiramite, too. Is that so or do they only overpower the weaker stones of their own kind?

Yes, that is a list of all possible strengths. No, an Arony does not cancel a Biz or Iton or Meta Stone. Only weaker Arony's. So, yes, it only cancels its own kind.

Profile Email
CloudySky
 Sunday, April 17 2016 @ 06:41 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

So I got a small metamiranite stone, and since then got the message after every Jungle fight:
Your Metamiranite vibrates briefly, and an additional xxx Requisition tokens clatter out of the hopper.
xxx shiny Requisition tokens are dispensed from the nearest camera!

xxx being the total amount of req the fight would get me. (Sadly, no double req)

Having now named my little stone, I get the more correct message:
Your Metamiranite vibrates briefly, and an additional 2 Requisition tokens clatter out of the hopper.

So I would hypothesize, that the primary effect of metamiranite is that it makes the Raven Inn appear more often -- Yes, I'm being facetious, but the problem with increased luck is, of course, that it's quite hard to tell the difference between the stone's effects and a lucky day... -- and that the secondary effect is to win you slightly more Req.

Profile Email
ace mcyntyre
 Sunday, April 17 2016 @ 07:53 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Well, I have all 4 huge named stones, only took me about 250 cigarettes (got lucky on two of them), and they seem to be making a difference. I like 'em.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, April 17 2016 @ 08:30 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: CloudySky

So I got a small metamiranite stone, and since then got the message after every Jungle fight:
Your Metamiranite vibrates briefly, and an additional xxx Requisition tokens clatter out of the hopper.
xxx shiny Requisition tokens are dispensed from the nearest camera!

xxx being the total amount of req the fight would get me. (Sadly, no double req)

CMJ has said he's aware of this. The unnamed stone does work correctly to get you a bit more req. But, as you surmise, the req increase happens before the message gets put together, so the message is reporting the new total rather than the increment. He'll straighten this out as soon as he has a moment for bugfixes.

Profile Email
Kolojang
 Tuesday, April 19 2016 @ 02:32 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

So I've named a huge Arony.

It now gives me this message at NewDay:

Your Arony grants you a little extra Stamina, and the wisdom to learn more from your actions.

I'm guessing it means I get an xp bonus on actions!

Neat.

Profile Email
Lyssa
 Wednesday, April 20 2016 @ 12:53 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

This is my new favourite Island thing.

Profile Email
Widdershins
 Wednesday, April 20 2016 @ 10:45 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Zoinks
Bitzetal gives you attack and defense. (Need this to be confirmed.)
Itonaniss heals you.

I suppose Bizetal gives an attack only buff, because it behaves like other attack only buffs. That is, while I carry a Cat Launcher they hardly ever count down, and when it does, Bizetal power counts down in lockstep with Wanker & Co.

Makes me wonder if the Itonaniss is in fact a defense buff and that the "brainless beasts" of Kittania is fuzzy in their explanation. Hard to tell it from my clan buff.
Possibly, a named Itonaniss does both (regen and def) and the unnamed only one.

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Monday, April 25 2016 @ 07:21 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Bizetal does indeed only buff attack, Itonaniss does indeed heal (1 point/round), neither provides a defense buff (at the Huge Named level)

I know this because I'm a normal human with no clan buff, so it's fairly easy to identify what's buffing what Smile

Profile Email
Iriana
 Wednesday, June 08 2016 @ 04:50 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

After naming a few Huge stones, I'm thinking you can (somewhat) reliably do one in around 40-45 cigs. However, I'm dumb, so either I could be way overestimating it (due to inflating the cig count with my mistakes) or underestimating it (due to making incorrect assumptions). Here's how my last naming went, which shows the "method" I've been using. Although, come to think of it, you might well have all figured this out in the two whole months since this thread was started. Anyways:

1. Divination. Choose Droncexilave and receive answer of 6.
I tried to choose Divination words with as few repeating letters as possible. I think this increases the "meaningfulness" of the Divination answer. My logic is that it encompasses more actual letters, rather than repeats of other letters. For example, Ezavelanenes isn't one I'd choose first.

2. Test all the letters in the Divination word by mashing them into the Name field. For the Droncexilave example, AAAAAAAAAAAA (answer: 2), then CCCCCCCCCCCC (0), then DDDDDDDDDDDD (1), then EEEEEEEEEEEE (1)... Write down 2 As, 1 D, 1 E, and so on. After testing A, C, D, E, I, L, and R, I now have 8 letters written down: AADEILLL.
See image below: this corresponds with the "answers" to your name tests. I went alphabetically, which gets through a lot of vowels early on.

3. Basically, test most if not all of the 26 letters. Just kind of use judgment to figure out when to stop, or what not to test. Since I only have 4 left to find, I guess-and-test other letters instead of doing another Divination.
I feel like performing more Divinations aren't very necessary at this point, but I could be wrong. In testing, I started with letters that appeared in the other Divination words.

4. ~18-25 cigs used - I have all 12 letters, AADEILLLHMTU. Test one letter at a time to find out the first letter. In this case, it's A.

5. From here it requires some more judgment, and applying CMJ's statement that the names generally "should follow at least loose rules of English and end up somewhat pronounceable, [instead of] Jshkylrnqyzk". If the first letter's a vowel, chances are that the next letter is a consonant, so test consonants first. AD, AH, AL, and so on. Then a vowel (AHA, AHE, AHI), then a consonant...
This part wasn't the expensive part for me--it usually didn't take too long if I made reasonable testing choices.

6. As it progresses past the first few letters (say, after AHALM), start to test chunks at a time instead of testing each letter "place" in the word one by one (AHALMTILU, AHALMLEDI, AHALMLETU).
This worked especially quickly with the final 4 letters of a name after the first 8 were known.

7. ~40-45 cigs used - The name is AHALMLETULID.

Profile Email
Lyssa
 Wednesday, June 08 2016 @ 12:34 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

That's basically the most efficient method I've found, Iriana, although I consult letter frequency charts rather than going alphabetically. I'd be interested to know if anyone has found a better way.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.65 seconds
New Topic Post Reply