Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Season Two Planning Forum New Topic Post Reply
 That annoying text filter
 |  Printable Version
Count Sessine
 Saturday, December 20 2008 @ 05:31 AM UTC (Read 1352 times)  
Forum Moderator

How many times has someone here carefully crafted and posted a perfectly literate comment, only to have it pounced on and horridly garbled by the text filter which (erroneously) imagines it has detected a texting abbreviation? Hm. I think I see a lot of heads nodding in agreement out there.

Try talking about Chinese dim sum, or "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts," or "je ne sais quoi" or... Over time, we learn what we can't write, and avoid the hazard by not writing it... but even so, a color code in the wrong place can catch one off guard and change 'urn' into 'you are n'!

A minor annoyance, to be sure, but a constant minor annoyance, like a whining mosquito in the bedroom at night.

1) Would it be possible to run the filter in preview mode, so that we can see what is going to get posted before it becomes irretrievable?

And, you know, most of the players here would not dream of posting in texting jargon. If they write 'Ur' they do not mean "you are" -- they are alluding to an ancient city in Mesopotamia, or a letter of the runic alphabet, or the first known continent in tectonics, or one of the other ten or so interesting meanings of that simple syllable. So...

2) Isn't there some way a player can earn the right to be free of the filter?

Profile Email
Hermein
 Saturday, December 20 2008 @ 06:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

2) Isn't there some way a player can earn the right to be free of the filter?

I'm put in mind of Mr. Bennett's remark to his daughters, "And you are never to stir out of doors till you can prove that you have spent ten minutes of every day in a rational manner." But how to measure that? Simpler to just let players buy their way out of the filter with Donator Points. . .

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, December 20 2008 @ 03:35 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Simpler, indeed. But not better.

I thought of that -- but in this highly imperfect world, excellence of prose style does not correlate at all well with income. (If it did, Dan would have no financial worries.)

It's true that a web-based text game can't possibly measure maturity or literacy. Human judgment, however, can.

Dan already has three moderators who have the power to review all comments (except those in Clan Hall) and delete the really egregious ones. We're on fire-watch anyway, watching out for any smoke columns of Bad Drama so Dan doesn't have to. If we had the power to award -- and withdraw -- freedom from the text filter... I suspect most players here could be freed immediately based on their past record. As for new players...

I'd be inclined to leave the filter silently in place by default, and lift it for those who have demonstrated that they don't need it.

The only downside I can see is that some experienced players might occasionally slip and accidentally refer to DK instead of Drive Kill. That's not, in my opinion, a very big deal... the only people likely to be confused by that are Newbies who need to have the whole concept of killing the Drive explained to them, anyway -- an explanation which every experienced player I've seen is more than willing to provide. If we went with this, the moderators would also have the duty to keep a somewhat closer eye on NewHome (which we do anyway), and add our own explanations if necessary, or distribute packets of Awesome Points to other players who step in and explain.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, December 21 2008 @ 11:04 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Agreed. If you're volunteering to descend upon those who dare to defile the Queen's English and give them a bloody good smack, along with a cry of "YOU'RE NOT ON MYSPACE NOW, BITCH!" then I see no reason why the text parser's tyranny should continue into S2.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.38 seconds
New Topic Post Reply