Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Improbable iris colour
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, February 19 2009 @ 05:37 PM UTC (Read 6332 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

Right, then. Trying to pick something out for Emily, never you mind what it is. My sister, who is as close to a jeweller as makes no difference, suggests sapphires to match her eyes.

I say "That's kinda difficult - she's got eyes like mine."

Afterwards, I get curious and run a Google search on eye colour, and read the Wikipedia article. Nowhere does it mention eye colour changing, except in the "babies have blue eyes and then they change over time" capacity that we're all familiar with.

So I run a search on changing eye colour, and you wouldn't believe the amount of wank that came up. Or maybe, actually, you would.

HI MY NAME IS MOONLIGHT STARFIRE AND MY EYES CHANGE COLOR DEPENDING ON MY MOOD. I AM ALSO A REINCARNATED UNICORN.
She leaned forward towards Malfoy, her eyes flashing red with anger...
my eyes turn black when im angry and gold when im happy its true a friend seen it!!!!11!!

*sigh*

My eyes change colour (or, more probably, appear to change colour) gradually over periods of several hours. Blue, green or (dark) grey, with halfway between blue and green being the most common. It doesn't depend on mood, that I'm aware of. Taking into account the ambient light and pupil dilation, the only influencing factor (that I can detect, anyway) seems to be how tired I am. Now, you'd think that this would be due to the presence or otherwise of sunlight and reflections which can play with our perceptions of colour, and you'd probably be right - but my sleeping habits (being a programmer!) mean that I tend to be awake at odd times, and the colour change is noticeable and pretty replicable in a wide range of lighting conditions.

There's even a Snopes thread about this, which is... inconclusive. This article raised some interesting questions, though. I couldn't find any correlation (admittedly only via a very quick search) between melanocyte production and tiredness, and even so, that would be highly dubious. Maybe my tiredness-changing-irises have something to do with my blood pressure?

Any theories? Anybody else out there with odd eye colour? Any unicorn riders with purple eyes that turn red when they're angry or horny? Anyone with eyes that leap out of their sockets and dangle on the optic nerve against their cheeks whenever they see a certain breed of frog? Do anyone's eyes grow little arms and start playing cards when they see anything orange?

How fucked-up are your eyes?

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Rosin
 Thursday, February 19 2009 @ 07:37 PM UTC  

Does having extremely photosensitive retina count? If so, my eye's are pretty screwed up.

paperrabbit
 Friday, February 20 2009 @ 01:04 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

My eyes gradually go back and forth between green and grey-brown in week-long cycles.

Also my irises expand or contract at an abnormally fast speed. It comes in handy sometimes since looking at something you like expands your pupil and looking at something you don't like contracts it. So I can spin around and glare at someone I don't like and my pupils will shrink very quickly and spook them.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Rosin
 Friday, February 20 2009 @ 02:24 AM UTC  

Also, depending on condition of light, eyes will change shade in the same range. Contraction of the iris makes them appear lighter, regardless of ambient light.

Tor NaGoth
 Friday, February 20 2009 @ 06:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

From your description, my eye color is very similar to yours, CMJ. They range from a light blue-gray to a dark Olivegreen. Not Sure about tiredness, but mood is a definite factor. I've stood in front of a mirror and focused on changing my mood just to watch my eye color change. (blood pressure may well be the determining factor.)

Profile Email
Theo1
 Friday, February 20 2009 @ 08:19 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

well ive had eyes like that since i was born, they shift from a yellowish green to a dark blue, the term i believe is actually "Hazel"

this is from the wiki (i believe you looked, but maybe you didnt read the whole thing)
Hazel

Hazel eyes are due to a combination of a Rayleigh scattering and a more than moderate amount of melanin in the iris' anterior border layer. Hazel eyes often appear to shift in color from a light brown to a medium golden-dark green. A number of studies using three-point scales have assigned "hazel" to be the medium-color between the lightest shade of blue and darkest shade of brown.This can sometimes produce a multicolored iris, i.e., an eye that is light brown near the pupil and charcoal or amber/dark green on the outer part of the iris (and vice versa) when observed in sunlight. Hazel is commonly found in Europe, some regions of the Middle East, North America, parts of Central Asia and parts of South Asia.

Definitions of the eye color "hazel" vary: it is sometimes considered to be synonymous with light-brown and gold.In North America, "hazel" is often used to describe eyes that appear to change color.

personally i believe that the colour change has to do with exposure to light over time,
i cant be sure, the human body is a strange thing and not being a biologist i have no answers
but i do know that its nothing freakish, though it is uncommon. and likely genetic as my mothers eyes are the same

Theo/Teia thinks everyone is damn sexy, except for you, you're just moderately sexy.

Profile Email
Bernard
 Friday, February 20 2009 @ 01:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

My eyes look like piss-holes.

Profile Email
Hermein
 Friday, February 20 2009 @ 02:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Mine? Brown. Always brown. Boring. That said, sapphires are very nice regardless of one's eye color. She's not having them implanted in her conjunctiva, is she?

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Friday, February 20 2009 @ 04:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Medium Blue. And yes, their brightness seems to change with tiredness, but not much. I believe this is due to the different position of lids:less light and more shadows, also widened pupils make them look darker. They also say that one gets glazed eyes when tired (or drunk or sick), the contrast making the irises appear darker. The glazing over probably increases when doing computer work.

A classmate of mine has much more interesting irises: an almost orange amber one, and the other one brownish-green ("hazel". I don't know if that one changes colour, though). She finds most people she meets not staring ... lower, but in her eyes. It's interesting to watch. Face, chest, face, stare. (Been there, done that.)

Profile Email
Kuroiten
 Friday, February 20 2009 @ 07:31 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I also possess hazel eyes. I've had people comment that the coloration changes depending on what sort of light I'm in, though there's a "default" color that I can usually pick out.

And my eyes are seriously screwed up. I'm so blind my glasses hurt most everyone else who attempts to see through them.

Judging by the chaos, I've been here already.

Profile Email Website
Bernard
 Friday, February 20 2009 @ 07:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Kuroiten

I also possess hazel eyes. I've had people comment that the coloration changes depending on what sort of light I'm in, though there's a "default" color that I can usually pick out.

And my eyes are seriously screwed up. I'm so blind my glasses hurt most everyone else who attempts to see through them.

Ah, I can relate to that. My eyes look like the piss-holes of elephants behind my specs.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Majin
 Saturday, February 21 2009 @ 09:17 AM UTC  

I have personally never observed any change in my own eye color, but then again I don't spend a tremendous amount of time looking at myself, for various reasons. If they are improbable in any way, it is because no one can ever seem to agree on what the hell color they are in the first place.

I am quite serious: they seem to appear totally different depending on who is looking at them. As proof, I have two separate drivers' licenses-- don't concern yourself with why-- and the color is listed as blue one one and green on the other. I personally see them as that typical aquamarine not-quite-blue, but I've had people try to convince me they are a dashing emerald, or vaguely gray, and one fellow stared at them for quite a while with an increasingly furrowed brow before informing me in a very displeased manner that the color was "goddamn weird" and couldn't decide what to call them. They're also frustratingly photosensitive, and sunlight is guaranteed to give me a headache, but that could admittedly just be a side-effect of having a close personal relationship with a computer screen.

Sapphires, however, are absolutely lovely and you cannot go wrong with them in any way, unless she prefers diamonds as a general rule as certain women insist on doing for no other reason than to drive us slowly and systematically off our heads.

SinkOrSwim
 Wednesday, March 04 2009 @ 03:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Grey-green, changing ever so slightly at different intervals but I think that's mainly to do with lighting.
They look more green when I'm hungover or tired, but that's probably just in contrast to the redness around them.Occasionally I've been told they look blue, but mainly they're just a slightly odd grey-green.

... Grace is just the measure of a fall ...

Profile Email
Max Dougwell
 Thursday, March 05 2009 @ 04:34 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

My eyes are deep blue.

Want to buy me Sapphires? They'll match my eyes Wink

Profile Email
Parrillian
 Wednesday, March 11 2009 @ 03:09 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I got Hazel eyes....so exciting.

Now my brothers eye's are interesting, around the center they have a golden yellow like the sun and it spikes out a little then fades into a light blue..I've always found them interesting...also his beard is almost red at the tips and his hair is dirty blond on his head...the rest of my family has brown...except my dad which i think had dirty blond until an incident involving playing a black gay guy for an actors studio in the 70s that involved him having a black Afro...from straitishwavey dirty blond..
Now his hair stay very short cause its lots of different shades and colours if it grows out..also its kinda sparse but not sparse.

Well that's enough about hairRazz

O if this is involving a ring of some sort go with Tungstencarbide
Its and alloy that can resist all scratch dents is always shiny and not to expensive..but they have to be cast for custom jobs so it might become expensive to get one gemed..
Its one of the hardest Alloys on earth so far, and we have a ton of Tungsten and Carbon hehe

Exploding Aneurysms do NOT exist....well i hope they don't

Profile Email
Legolos
 Friday, March 13 2009 @ 04:10 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

My eye color is brown... boring right?....
Wrong.

My eyes seem to like to slowly change with my health in shade and occasionally coloration.

They vary from an extremely dark brown, nearing on black to a light brown tinged with green.

they do vary with my health but... they don't like to follow any particular pattern in general either. It's a bit strange but most people don't really notice it.

I'm crazy... Does anything else matter?

Profile Email
Sir Gompmire
 Saturday, March 14 2009 @ 07:47 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Well, I have found that Hazel eyes (which I have) tend to vary from brown to green to blue.

My own eyes seem to switch between a dark green, a light blue, and a stormy gray.

I like seeing what color my eyes are in the morning.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, March 14 2009 @ 03:10 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Incidentally, now that we've seen The Ring... That particular opal is the perfect choice for changeable blue/green eyes.

Profile Email
Legolos
 Sunday, March 15 2009 @ 04:57 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

My eye color is brown... boring right?....
Wrong.

My eyes seem to like to slowly change with my health in shade and occasionally coloration.

They vary from an extremely dark brown, nearing on black to a light brown tinged with green.

they do vary with my health but... they don't like to follow any particular pattern in general either. It's a bit strange but most people don't really notice it.

Another note on my eye color. Rather than light brown tinged with green it seems more like a creamy milk chocolate color ringed by a light olive green. They might actually do the light brown tinged with green as well, but who knows.

I'm crazy... Does anything else matter?

Profile Email
SarahBee
 Monday, April 06 2009 @ 01:19 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

My right eye is green and my left is blue. Big Grin

My eyes are also shaped slightly differently the green is shaped like my Dad's (who has green eyes) and the blue like my Mum's (who has blue eyes). I'm just lucky they have fairly similar eye shapes; the only difference is that my Mum's is slightly more round, my Dad's more almond!

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.41 seconds
New Topic Post Reply