Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Season Two Planning Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Location Descriptions...
 |  Printable Version
Theo1
 Monday, March 02 2009 @ 12:33 PM UTC (Read 1607 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What if... and stick with me on this one.in season two... Locations... were described by players.

I.E. Cities and the Raven Inn, and the PSK and... especially the Commons, things like that. maybe not so much smaller places like paprika's ofice... but even then i...

think about it. i mean CMJ has done a brilliant job with the descriptions... but the players have created a world entirely on its own based on what Joe started. what if some of the Powerful, and Older players... and the ones who are really into the RP'ing, helped tweak the city descriptions. not change them entirely, but improve upon the world that CMJ started to build. because we have improved upon it... its why the island is so wonderful. the players as a whole, saw CMJ's description... and as a whole built a world around them, bit by bit. many pieces changing daily, but some details have stayed certain for as long as i've played, newbies learning them from older players, and in turn passing them on again to the next generation.

and further... maybe every now and then, when something major happens... like the stuff in the commons after sessine "left" and Alandre came, the description changed to match. almost a dozen people added to that scene... and reading it, well it was like a work of art, and now though its faded into history, those who were there still reference what was done, and its sad because newcomers, and people who missed the event... may never know what the whole scene was unless they stumble across the Wiki page (which was a brilliant way to preserve things in its own right)

II is a world built on the RP, and the pictures painted by the players... why not let the RP and their picture in turn, help build your world?

Theo/Teia thinks everyone is damn sexy, except for you, you're just moderately sexy.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Monday, March 02 2009 @ 06:13 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I like the idea. Honest. It would be nice to have a reminder of, say, the stuff Snickerer left behind in each Outpost when she left -- the fountain in CC404, the little crystal cat that lives on top of Heidi's in Kittania, all the other things -- and a lot of what players contributed to the aftermath of the on-going plot involving A/S et al. was valuable and really very sweet. I'd like to see more administration-approved player-generated content in Season 2 and it's no secret that I regularly champion that breed of creative contribution to the Island's storytelling culture. Anything to continue engaging and immersing people in this world. But..

At the same time, I think there should exist an administration-defined canon that will remain accessible to every player when they enter the Island. If someone wants to begin writing and roleplaying regularly, they will (as Theo noted) pick up on the player-based innovations as a consequence of settling into the mini-culture of the Island. The ICMoD, the autobar in the SPOON clan hall, the fountain, various things that people have left behind and other players have accepted as constants in the world -- you learn about all of that by being a part of the Island, and it's better to learn those stories from other players, rather than wandering into an Outpost or chat module and writing off some sentence about some landmark as fluff.

See, there's a clock tower in one of the Outposts*. Without looking, how many of you can tell me which one it is off the top of your head? I would suspect a tiny minority. People don't religiously reread the Outpost descriptions. I hardly notice the message about which clan is in control of which Outpost anymore.

You can't pack the baggage behind those player contributions into a single sentence and it would be unreasonable and out of place to expect a paragraph of context. It's better to maintain these contributions independent of the descriptions given in the text for each Outpost. Suppose that the players responsible for a plot point all left the Island, for whatever reason, and no one knew why the hell there was a giant brass radish hovering in the air above New Pittsburgh. Do we really want to make that a part of the Island's canon for future generations of players, when the significance has faded?

This would also lead to the problem of 'oh, what constitutes a significant storyline, how do we tell when someone's taking the piss for the sake of getting something into an outpost description, who gets to pick which story was good enough to leave a mark on the island, whose feelings are going to be hurt by this, rah rah rah.'

I'm of the mind that:

- the administration should not be compelled to legitimize storytelling contributions to the Island
- players are responsible for perpetuating and maintaining significant aftereffects of their plotlines
- suggested modules like clan-run inns or bookshops can satisfactorily address this desire for official recognition

---
* AceHigh.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Monday, March 02 2009 @ 10:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

We could also make certain player made things into actual places. The ICMoD in the Commons, for example, could distribute a random buff (along with corresponding flavor) for a price, and you could probably get a sort of 'feelgood' buff for tossing coins into Snickerer's fountain in CC404. This wouldn't work for everything, but we could do a fair amount with what we get over months (or years) of players' shenanigans.

But that's just my opinion.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Theo1
 Tuesday, March 03 2009 @ 09:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

yes... i agree, and its my idea here. i see what your saying zolotisty. and you make a good point. we want more player generated content, but at the same time, there has to be limits or the world becomes too solid, and removes the act of building it for each player.

and i apologize, ive yet to be enlightened on what the ICMod is... i think its from when i was gone...

Theo/Teia thinks everyone is damn sexy, except for you, you're just moderately sexy.

Profile Email
Tor NaGoth
 Tuesday, March 03 2009 @ 02:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

ICMoD= IceCreamMachineofDoom in the common grounds, unless I am mistaken, this one carried over from the Pilot - It does have a Wiki entry.

Profile Email
Theo1
 Wednesday, March 04 2009 @ 09:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

thank you... and of course, idiot me, doesnt think to check the Wiki... just edit it Razz

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.50 seconds
New Topic Post Reply