Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Season Two Planning Forum New Topic
 Soliciting opinions: Monster artwork
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, May 26 2009 @ 01:45 AM UTC (Read 1868 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

Hey, all.

I've been thinking about adding monster artwork to Improbable Island for a long time now. I go through phases, y'see. A typical one will look like this:

"It's a text-based adventure game. No artwork."
"Well, maybe sprite-based artwork. Like an old Amiga game."
"No! Do the artwork in a Victorian-era embossing/woodcut style!"
"ZX SPECTRUM!"
"Fuck off with the ZX Spectrum art style. No."
"Let's do it like a 1950's pulp sci-fi book cover!"
"But I can't draw."
"Pinch it from t'internet!"
"Nah. ANSI art? Using CP437 characters?"
"Thematically appropriate - it'd still be a text-based game - but infeasible. How about some comic-style sketches?"
"If they're black and white, I could recolour them in an appropriate Improbable Island style."
"Why not just go for pixel art? Y'know, the sort of art that looks as though it could have been in an old video game, but is actually nothing like the artwork in old video games?"
"Nah."
"Crowdsource this. Solicit monster artwork from the players."
"No mortal can draw three hundred monster sketches and is willing to do so in exchange for imaginary currency in a game. The styles will mix together to provide an inconsistent look. Also people will be upset when I reject their submissions, or when a better submission for the same monster comes along and I replace theirs."
"It's a text-based adventure game. No artwork."

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd sure like to hear 'em.

Profile Email Website
Rosin
 Tuesday, May 26 2009 @ 02:11 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

How about some comic-style sketches?"

"If they're black and white, I could recolour them in an appropriate Improbable Island style."

"No mortal can draw three hundred monster sketches and is willing to do so in exchange for imaginary currency in a game. The styles will mix together to provide an inconsistent look. Also people will be upset when I reject their submissions, or when a better submission for the same monster comes along and I replace theirs."

On the first quoted point,
I'm sure we could dig up these sort of things.

Second,
Ask the artists first. No one likes their art messed with without permission.

Third,
Relevant to the first and second points, same answers.

Fourth,
We can prove you wrong!

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Tuesday, May 26 2009 @ 01:22 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Hey, all.

I'd be dumb enough to do some black and white linearts [that whoever wanted to could color] for Donator Points. *sheepish grin*
It'd be like a commission but with...donator points. Razz

I'm sure if you got enough people [who wanted to], you could get 300 monsters.
And even if the styles did look inconsistent, it'd make it....improbable. I dunno, it seems like it'd fit.

As for rejecting people's submissions, any of them who are willing should be told about it first so that they know, and are ready for it.

I think that's all I've got to say, I hope it helps. :>

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Tuesday, May 26 2009 @ 02:31 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Here's my vote: no, thank-you to monster sketches generally. In-game pictures will fix a canon representation of any given monster, which means you're destroying the (probably far richer) versions wandering around the heads of all of your players. I do not want someone to dictate for me what the Watcherbots look like, nor The Thing in the Attic, nor abstract things like Procrastination or the sentient Polaroid where the description is centered around something happening to the character. No one is going to get the conception of my own character more right than I can. And -- the Improbability Drive? No. You're going to get a vaguely threatening box from someone. Perhaps it will have a high gain antenna and a menacing face plate. Nothankyou.

However.

I would not be opposed to awesome woodcut-or-embossed style drawings for Improbable Events. Those are special and infrequent and fixed, they stay in the game. I would not mind a horrifying rendition of the Tattoo Mutant or the exterior of the Raven Inn or.. whatever. Stonehenge, the wig rocks. You can get away with the rest of the game not having pictures because they're special events; there's a finite number of them so you can be choosier about the artwork. It will look nicer. It will preserve your tenuous credulity. It will avoid turning us into KoL.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Tuesday, May 26 2009 @ 03:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

Here's my vote: no, thank-you to monster sketches generally. In-game pictures will fix a canon representation of any given monster, which means you're destroying the (probably far richer) versions wandering around the heads of all of your players. I do not want someone to dictate for me what the Watcherbots look like, nor The Thing in the Attic, nor abstract things like Procrastination or the sentient Polaroid where the description is centered around something happening to the character. No one is going to get the conception of my own character more right than I can. And -- the Improbability Drive? No. You're going to get a vaguely threatening box from someone. Perhaps it will have a high gain antenna and a menacing face plate. Nothankyou.

However.

I would not be opposed to awesome woodcut-or-embossed style drawings for Improbable Events. Those are special and infrequent and fixed, they stay in the game. I would not mind a horrifying rendition of the Tattoo Mutant or the exterior of the Raven Inn or.. whatever. Stonehenge, the wig rocks. You can get away with the rest of the game not having pictures because they're special events; there's a finite number of them so you can be choosier about the artwork. It will look nicer. It will preserve your tenuous credulity. It will avoid turning us into KoL.

>.> Well I feel like money-grubbing shithead. Even if it's not real money! xD
CMJ, feel free to delete both my comments on here. [In fact, please do.]

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Tuesday, May 26 2009 @ 04:00 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Goodness, settle. A different opinion is not grounds for you to show your belly -- especially an opinion from me. Neutral He asked for opinions. That's all this is.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Tor NaGoth
 Tuesday, May 26 2009 @ 05:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think I would have to Agree with Z here. Graphics for every encounter would impede the imagination, but a classic wood-cut style image for improbable events? That actually sounds remarkably appealing.

My $.02~Tor

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Tuesday, May 26 2009 @ 05:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Tor+NaGoth

I think I would have to Agree With Z here. Graphics for every encounter would impede the imagination, but a classic wood-cut style image for improbable events? That actually sounds remarkably appealing.

My $.02~Tor

Make that 4 cents.

Well. I have to add that I'd like to have that as an userpref. I'm more on the "it's a text based game no pictures" side. If there weren't already the colourful comment icons, I probably would have gone straight for "no thanks." But it's worth a try for ImpEvents.

Profile Email
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Tuesday, May 26 2009 @ 06:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think that the Drive could be approximated with a digital avatar or model created in a game engine. Sort of like the race pictures. And of course it would be opt-in, not vice versa.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Tuesday, May 26 2009 @ 06:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

After review of the facts presented by the veritable Miss Tisty, I'll second that. Those with more colourful imagination might be put off by our crude drawings and where would we be then? If the more interesting players are driven away in tears after having their dreams of exactly what the Island's various monsters look like shattered by other players, we'd be left with a rather boring place indeed.

In short, while there are people who definitely will continue to sketch monsters and events, and even other players, it should all stay mostly non-canon for the good of the people.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Cath
 Thursday, June 04 2009 @ 05:56 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

My late two cents... I think that drawing 300 monsters would probably be a bit over the top... while I do agree that having them done by various people would just add to the improbability, I think it could stifle some imagination... UNLESS... there were some way to have multiple images for the same monster and one would randomly pop up each time you encountered it... this would also solve the problem of hurting people's feelers if a "better" image came along. Plus, if someone imagined it differently, *shrug* they could submit other art for it.

IF you wanted to to an art style that would be simple, I would suggest something similar to the style used on the cards for the game Fluxx, now in Zombie and Monty Python versions. It works in both B/W and in color.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.92 seconds