Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Season Two Planning Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Character deleted for season 2?
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: Icklem
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 01:55 PM UTC (Read 6683 times)  

As I read through the list of new ideas, I thought there were some really great ones - until I got to the section where it said that all characters were to be replaced, and the only thing carried over would be donator points.... unless I've got this severely wrong?

Yes, I'd love to be able to donate cash towards the game, but as someone who is severely disabled, with my husband out of work as he cares for me 24/7, I could do with some donations myself!
(And yes, I have tried referrals to the game, but can't force people to try it!)

Why can't our existing characters - including tattoos, jewellery, any houses, req (not as important) - and especiaally ciggies and quest points, along with the new Cobblestones (should I not go in to the Cottage until Season 2, and will I be able to collect them all then?) - just be moved to Season 2 - even if we all re-start at level 1, as if we've just completed a DK - allowing us to select from any new races, equipment, and implants available (for example)?

I am constantly in severe pain, and cannot get online often, and now feel that between now and July 1st, using my limited online time on Improbable Island is going to be a totally pointless exercise - and if I'm going to loose all of the above that I've spent my online time to gain, to be totally honest, I'd seriously consider quitting - especially if my quest points and the ciggies I've worked so hard to collect will be lost.

Why should only those who can afford (or have managed to scrape some money together) to make donations to the site, be the only ones to keep anything with the update? I agree they shouldn't loose their money, but by carrying all characters over as they are, they wouldn't be loosing any spent / unspent money anyway.

This seems to be heading towards a game that requires a monthly payment - I understand that it may not be making the amount of money that seems to be required, but like so many other things, no-one thinks about those who cannot afford to eat, let alone pay for online gaming. Will Season 3 just wipe any improvements / gains we make in Season 2?

Maybe the game doesn't give the income required atm - if it doesn't, maybe those who gain an income from the game could start by being thankful that they can get / look for a job - or even that they can stand, or sit, and that they're not in severe pain 24/7.

Personally I'd be happy to continue with Season 1 with additions - not a total restart, and all my online time on I.I. suddenly made pointless.

A very unhappy player,
Icklem

P.S. My apologies if my previous post was sent by mistake - if anyone can delete it, please do so!

CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 03:09 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Yup, you misread. Season One won't be reset, so you can quite happily continue playing there. Hope this clears it up a bit.

Profile Email Website
Zahnnie
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 04:38 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I dunno, I'm personally kinda excited about the re-set. It'll allow us all to see the new additions and stuff at low levels and then at high, and get used to how things operate now.

It'll also put us all on equal footing, so someone like me who's only been around... uh... a month?... can catch up to those who've been around for much longer. It makes it more fun and competitive. Smile

Profile Email
Fergus
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 04:55 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Season 2 is supposed to have awesome surprises and new things to do, but if everything you had was transferred over then nothing would change. Sure, there'd be more stuff, but people who dominated in ____ (PvP for example) over in S1 would just continue to do it in S2.
Also, by starting out with lots of DKs, I'd assume you miss a lot of things that were added for the first few DKs ad not to mention the progression of getting DKs and getting things unlocked you'd normally not try. And how would the story work if it relied on your DK amount?

I totally understand what you're saying about losing everything and I can agree, it hurts a little. That's why S1 is staying open.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 05:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm in two minds about the reset. I like the idea of starting all over in a brand new place and getting to explore again, but I don't really want to have everything go back to zero.
Yes, that's completely contradictory; that's why I said I'm in two minds about it.

But, yeah, I understand that it's necessary. Still, having just reached 100 DKs, it will be disappointing to be almost immediately sent back to 0. At least I hit that goal first Neutral

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 07:39 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I'd probably still be going for an annual reset even if it weren't technically necessary, but since it's come up:

Nope, there's absolutely no way whatsoever that we can run the Stamina System on a live game with established players.
Nope, we can't run ScrapBots without the Stamina System.
Nope, we can't run IItems without the Stamina System.
Nope, we can't run the new PVP system without the Stamina System.
Nope, we can't run the rebalanced Races without the Stamina System.
In short, just about all of the new Season Two content is dependant on the Stamina System. If I were to try to apply Stamina to Season One, it'd be near enough the same thing as putting folks back to LV1/DK0 anyway.

Many of the concepts in S1 will be done away with completely for S2, making it more like an entirely new game. Hence keeping S1 open for the players who want to continue to play there. Taking stats over from S1 to S2 would, and this is no exaggeration, be like finishing a game of chess and then taking your pawns and knights over to the Monopoly board. It just doesn't work.

Profile Email Website
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 07:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Is Season Two currently invite only? I'd quite like to start a new character in it and start over with a clean slate.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 07:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The next time I play Monopoly, I'm using a rook instead of one of the pewter figures.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 07:52 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Season Two is currently running on a test server installed on my laptop. Razz So, um, yeah, it's invite-only and you have to come to a real dive of a town in Cheshire. And you have to bring a beer too.

Profile Email Website
Gorbert
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 07:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Season Two is currently running on a test server installed on my laptop. Razz So, um, yeah, it's invite-only and you have to come to a real dive of a town in Cheshire. And you have to bring a beer too.

Does Natural Lite count as beer, or carbonated piss?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 08:02 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Carbonated piss that has already been drunk and pissed out again three times. Or at least I would guess so, with a name like that - I've had the great misfortune to allow American Coors Lite into my mouth at one point, and it was like making love in a canoe.

Profile Email Website
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 08:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Carbonated piss that has already been drunk and pissed out again three times. Or at least I would guess so, with a name like that - I've had the great misfortune to allow American Coors Lite into my mouth at one point, and it was like making love in a canoe.

Coors Lite is still better than Budweiser. Bud is like shit in a glass mixed with fizzy piss and various bodily fluids which I shall not mention due to their vulgarity.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 08:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

From what I've heard, Milwaukee's Best and Natural Lite are the two worst beers America has to offer. But America also has a lot of really good beers.

Profile Email
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 08:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Gorbert

From what I've heard, Milwaukee's Best and Natural Lite are the two worst beers America has to offer. But America also has a lot of really good beers.

Milwaukee's Best is atrocious to say the least. The best beers are probably Miller, Miller High Life, and Sam Adams'.

Profile Email
CheshireCat
 Thursday, June 04 2009 @ 06:28 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Eh. Budweiser and Miller Light are common 'round here. Sorry, but it's piss beer to me.

I drink wine and gin n' Tonic with a small lime on the side.

And what's this about Cheshire? (I know, I know. Someone's going to take me seriously. Eh, we'll see Joe. Maybe my next crossing of the Pond.)

The Island's Most Married Kittyjoker.

Profile Email
Icklem
 Thursday, June 04 2009 @ 12:19 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Dear Caveman Joe,
Firstly, I'll add now I've typed this - my apologies for all of the questions!

Question When Season 2 is out of beta testing will players have the option of playing on both?
Will the Season 1 version be left running, and not just deleted after a gew months, or after beta testing of 2 etc?
Do we face the same thing happening and being totally reset when you start a season 3?

Question I've finished some of my 'World Community Grid' testing (as a member of the I.I. Distributed Computing Team) - should I go to Cobblestone Cottage now to collect any Cobblestones I may have, or stay out so I can collect them in Season 2?
Also, I thought all team members were getting 100 donator points when we reached 10 years? I thought I should ask about this as I haven't received any that I'm aware of.
(I originally joined ages ago, but it seemed I had to re-join a while ago at 0 points - I think this was due to my previous laptop dying.)

Question The other question I thought of was if I currently can't afford to donate, and the people I've tried to refer to the game apparently haven't tried it (I also can't program etc), are there other ways I can get my name in colour etc (like as a b.day pressie - my 30th in jusr over a week (you can't blame a girl for trying! *grinz*)) - along with the other things donator points can be spent on - such as using Cobblestones?
(I haven't collected any yet, so am unsure what I can use them for, and running BOINC on a laptop with virtually no memory takes forever!)

You're in Cheshire eh? I'm from Yorkshire originally, then spent many years in Nottingham and am now down by the beach in sunny Dorset - next move will be to America, but not for a few years yet!
I personally can't stand beer, but what's your beer of choice?

Icklem

P.S.Apologies for any spelling mistakes etc - finding typing v.difficult due to pain.

Carpe Diem.

Profile Email Website
Aeridus
 Thursday, June 04 2009 @ 12:30 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Will clans be reset as well? I'd hope that membership is retained at least.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, June 04 2009 @ 12:57 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Questions questions!

Quote by: IcklemDear Caveman Joe,
Firstly, I'll add now I've typed this - my apologies for all of the questions!

Question When Season 2 is out of beta testing will players have the option of playing on both?
Will the Season 1 version be left running, and not just deleted after a gew months, or after beta testing of 2 etc?
Do we face the same thing happening and being totally reset when you start a season 3?

When S2 goes live at the start of July, it'll be in a sort of "probation." I _think_ it's nicely balanced, and I _think_ all the loopholes are gone - I could be wrong, which is why I'm not promising one hundred per cent that we won't end up doing another reset one month later, after bugs are fixed.
Season One will stay open until there's no longer any point in it staying open.
Season Three - well, yeah, traditionally we've done a reset each time we've changed seasons, but the big plans for S3 include changes to the battle system, weapons and armour, so we might not have to do a reset. So, honestly, I don't know. We'll just have to wait and see.

Question I've finished some of my 'World Community Grid' testing (as a member of the I.I. Distributed Computing Team) - should I go to Cobblestone Cottage now to collect any Cobblestones I may have, or stay out so I can collect them in Season 2?
Also, I thought all team members were getting 100 donator points when we reached 10 years? I thought I should ask about this as I haven't received any that I'm aware of.
(I originally joined ages ago, but it seemed I had to re-join a while ago at 0 points - I think this was due to my previous laptop dying.)

Cobblestone Cottage reads its points values from XML files located on WCG's servers, so your cobblestones will be correct when we go to S2. Bear in mind that the module will be reset, so you'll have to go through validation again - you might not want to bother if you've not done so already.

Question The other question I thought of was if I currently can't afford to donate, and the people I've tried to refer to the game apparently haven't tried it (I also can't program etc), are there other ways I can get my name in colour etc (like as a b.day pressie - my 30th in jusr over a week (you can't blame a girl for trying! *grinz*)) - along with the other things donator points can be spent on - such as using Cobblestones?
(I haven't collected any yet, so am unsure what I can use them for, and running BOINC on a laptop with virtually no memory takes forever!)

You can't use cobblestones for anything, yet. The Cottage is just an illustration of principle.
Yes, there are other ways you can get Donator Points, some of which will be coming back for Season Two. There's a Monster Submission Hut where you can submit new monster ideas and get points for them, and I'll probably run a competition or two.

You're in Cheshire eh? I'm from Yorkshire originally, then spent many years in Nottingham and am now down by the beach in sunny Dorset - next move will be to America, but not for a few years yet!

Hey, me too. Off to Pittsburgh to marry the Emily.

I personally can't stand beer, but what's your beer of choice?

Icklem

P.S.Apologies for any spelling mistakes etc - finding typing v.difficult due to pain.

Golden Monkey, I think. It's something stupid like eleven and a half per cent. Can only get it in Pittsburgh, though.

@Aeridus: Yup, clans will be reset. Everything will be reset.

Profile Email Website
Icklem
 Thursday, June 04 2009 @ 02:00 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Hiya!
So basically if I collect my Cobblestones in S1, I'll be able to collect them all again in S2?
I've already done the validation process, just not gone into the Cottage since returning data after I did the validation.

I'll have to somehow hope that I can win one of those competitions (or the lottery!!) so I can get some donator points finally. I could possibly donate the occasional dollar or two occasionally, but it feels really bad to me to seem so cheap.

Hey, me too. Off to Pittsburgh to marry the Emily.

LOL Sounds like we have a bit (maybe a lot!) in common - did you meet online? and what is Emily's name on Improbable Island?
Is the date for the wedding set yet? Many congratulations to you both! Big Grin

My husband is American, and we met online on a different game. We've been together for 4 years today, and married for nearly 2 1/2 years. Big Grin
I did the opposite and dragged him to England, as I have 3 dogs and a cat, and can't move them all to the US (due to one having a severe illness, and I need to keep his insurance, as his medication is about 500 / $750 a time).

We've also got the same first initials, J and E! (Joe had already been taken by one of his brothers!) My first name is Em (full name).

Hope you're having a good day!
Icklem = little m

P.S. Golden Monkey is a strange name for a beer! I actually read that the reason that our beer / lager in England is so much weaker in comparison to other countries is because we're known for drinking much larger amounts, so it was decided to lower the alcohol content for beers in Britain!

Carpe Diem.

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, June 06 2009 @ 02:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yeah! Congratulations on the wedding there Joe.

Which particular dive in Cheshire are we talking about if I might ask. I'm nowhere near there at the moment. Grew up in Staffordshire, spent about 20 years in Brighton, 3 or 4 years in New Zealand, (where I started playing on the island) currently living in London.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.59 seconds
New Topic Post Reply