Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Season Two Planning Forum New Topic Post Reply
 IItems and weight limits
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 08:15 PM UTC (Read 1875 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

Hey, all.

Remember how in Resident Evil you couldn't carry more than a certain amount of stuff, which meant that you had to go back and forth between storage boxes, which artificially extended the length of the game and proved to be interesting and realistic for the first hour, and then a right frustrating pain in the arse?

Yeah, we're gonna do that.

Well, not quite.

The reason why we even have carrying limits in games is for balance - making the game challenging, and forcing the player to make decisions (which is what all games are about, really). In a game where inventory space can be expanded, the constrictions of the original inventory space provide immediate positive feedback when they're lifted. Carrying limits also contribute to a game's realism.

Balancing fun with realism with challenge is hard, so I wanted to find a way to still have the player make the decision of whether to drop one item in favour of another - but I also wanted a third option to be present, which would allow the player to opt-out of a decision that they didn't want to make.

So, rather than going with hard limits for how much stuff you can carry, we've gone with two separate inventories, both with soft limits.

Here's how it works.

You have a backpack, and a bandolier. Your bandolier can hold two kilos, your backpack can hold ten (they're made out of pretty flimsy, shitty material - you can buy better ones with far higher capacities at a shop in town). You can shuffle items between your backpack and bandolier, and upgrade both independently. Items in your bandolier are usable in battles, items in your backpack are not.

You can put as much stuff in either of these as you want, going right over the weight limit and into ridiculous territory if you so desire. However, every action that uses Stamina will use a little more. You'll become tired more quickly as you carry stuff around wedged between your arms and legs, balanced on your shoulders, jangling in your pockets and pulling down your pants et cetera.

I'm hoping that this soft-limit system will let us keep the decision-making and game balance importance of a carrying limit, in addition to making the game more complex and interesting - but that the freedom to ignore it (even if doing so has negative effects) will hopefully negate any potentially frustrating aspects. Thoughts?

Profile Email Website
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 08:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Hey, all.

Remember how in Resident Evil you couldn't carry more than a certain amount of stuff, which meant that you had to go back and forth between storage boxes, which artificially extended the length of the game and proved to be interesting and realistic for the first hour, and then a right frustrating pain in the arse?

Yeah, we're gonna do that.

Well, not quite.

The reason why we even have carrying limits in games is for balance - making the game challenging, and forcing the player to make decisions (which is what all games are about, really). In a game where inventory space can be expanded, the constrictions of the original inventory space provide immediate positive feedback when they're lifted. Carrying limits also contribute to a game's realism.

Balancing fun with realism with challenge is hard, so I wanted to find a way to still have the player make the decision of whether to drop one item in favour of another - but I also wanted a third option to be present, which would allow the player to opt-out of a decision that they didn't want to make.

So, rather than going with hard limits for how much stuff you can carry, we've gone with two separate inventories, both with soft limits.

Here's how it works.

You have a backpack, and a bandolier. Your bandolier can hold two kilos, your backpack can hold ten (they're made out of pretty flimsy, shitty material - you can buy better ones with far higher capacities at a shop in town). You can shuffle items between your backpack and bandolier, and upgrade both independently. Items in your bandolier are usable in battles, items in your backpack are not.

You can put as much stuff in either of these as you want, going right over the weight limit and into ridiculous territory if you so desire. However, every action that uses Stamina will use a little more. You'll become tired more quickly as you carry stuff around wedged between your arms and legs, balanced on your shoulders, jangling in your pockets and pulling down your pants et cetera.

I'm hoping that this soft-limit system will let us keep the decision-making and game balance importance of a carrying limit, in addition to making the game more complex and interesting - but that the freedom to ignore it (even if doing so has negative effects) will hopefully negate any potentially frustrating aspects. Thoughts?

We need a Bag of Ridiculously High Carrying Capacity, similar to a Bag of Holding in D&D. What say you to this idea?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 08:39 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I say yes, that's the plan.

Profile Email Website
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 08:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

I say yes, that's the plan.

Excellent!

Profile Email
Hermein
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 08:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Makes sense. I've occasionally wondered how I could be carrying around a hundred-odd hand grenades. And while naked, such as right after a drive kill - but that's fixed too, right? No more carryover of any kind after a DK?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 08:43 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Hermein

No more carryover of any kind after a DK?

Only for very, very special items.

Profile Email Website
Gorbert
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 08:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like this idea. It reminds me of making several dozen trips between a cave and the nearest town to sell all of the loot in other games because I'm obsessive about that, or weighing myself down to the point of severely reduced efficiency for the same reason. Good times. Also annoying. But I look forward to this depth of playing.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 08:47 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Cannot articulate my giddy enthusiasm. So: Mr. Green

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 08:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

Cannot articulate my giddy enthusiasm. So: Mr. Green

Sorry, Z, that just isn't descriptive enough. I'm going to go ahead and assume you have lukewarm approval of this idea. Wink

Profile Email
Fergus
 Thursday, June 04 2009 @ 02:35 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I like it, I just have one question: Will you get better at carrying around heavy stuff as you go, like traveling and fighting? Sure it'd cost more stamina at first, but you'd get better at it over time as your body gets used to being a pack mule and you should be able to lose less stamina, no?

Also, mentioning pack mules popped up another question for me, will you be able to get a saddle bag for your mount? I don't know what crazy mounts you have planned that may not make this work (like a saddle bag with 5 kilos in it on a squirrel wouldn't work), nor how difficult it my be to code.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.85 seconds
New Topic Post Reply