Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Season Two Planning Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Also in Season Two
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, June 04 2009 @ 12:35 AM UTC (Read 4094 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

IE the "Things I Forgot in the Announcement" thread. Making this a forum post 'cause there's likely more things I forgot to mention.

Shorter game days
We'll be moving to twice as many game days per real day. The number of things you'll be able to do in a game day will decrease, but the number of game days per real day will increase. You'll also be able to save up more game days to play later - this should make it easier for folks to play in their lunch breaks or what-have-you.

No more deliberately getting killed
Being restored from the FailBoat won't grant a New Day anymore, but will simply spit you back out onto the Island. This helps close what can sometimes be a pretty big exploit. Combined with the shorter game days and Favour-granting items, though, this shouldn't be the "Oh my God I have to wait four hours" frustration that it is now.

Flawless Fights no longer give extra Turns
A player who focussed more on Defence than Attack could very easily rack up more than double the default daily turns. This gave a disproportionately large incentive to favour Defence over Attack - it was a very obvious strategy for success, and those who didn't use it would invariably be left behind. The philosophy behind S2 is to give more, and different, routes to success in any given area - having a technique that was guaranteed to work every time just doesn't go with that, so out it goes.

New Skin
There's a new default graphical layout for Improbable Island, and it looks very nice if I do say so myself.

No more MotD popups
They were a bad idea anyway. You'll still want to see the MotD, but it won't try to open that annoying popup window any more.

Revamped Gifting
Equipment gifting has been removed altogether, and replaced with unlimited Item-based gifting. With the new IItem system, this should prevent exploits and nullify the "Bored to Death by Level 6" effect.

Boss Monsters and Creature Targets
At launch, some monsters will be elevated to Boss status and have AI scripts attached for extra challenge. Individual hit targets within creatures will be gradually rolled out across Season Two.

Drive Kill Ranks
After the first Drive Kill, you can alter the difficulty level of Jungle encounters. A level one Drive Kill is what you've all been used to up until now - a level seven Drive Kill is ludicrously difficult even for my admin character. Bio and Hall O' Fame info is available for the showing-off of your hard-as-nails achievements.

New Characters
Several new NPC's have set up shop, and will be teaching you various Stamina skills. Explore to find them.

Performance Improvements
By removing heavy-load modules, rewriting Race files to use fewer system resources, reducing database queries and rewriting significant parts of the game content from scratch, Season Two will run faster than ever.

Rebalanced Requisition payouts, tighter controls on Req transfers, fewer loopholes
536 Requisition tokens for a level fifteen monster, 36 for a level one? Feh. That's why we have Newbies wandering around with a million spare Req going begging. Requisition payouts have been significantly rebalanced, making the difference between lv1 and lv17 monsters (lv17 = lv15 player plus "Look for Very Big Trouble") far shallower. The Vending system has been done away with, since the only thing that people ever used it for was for transferring silly amounts of Requisition between Drive Kills. In short, there should be far fewer ways to exploit the system, leading to a much more challenging and interesting game.

I'll probably think of more things I've neglected to mention.

Profile Email Website
Yrk
 Thursday, June 04 2009 @ 09:37 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

oh i am definatly coming back to the island at season two!

juse wondering though, what if i, brave as i am, set my difficulty level to 7 after my first DK, and then end up totally unable to kill the level 7 drive (which im pretty sure would happen). Would i be stuck on that run forever?

Profile Email
Hermein
 Thursday, June 04 2009 @ 04:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I made the mistake of trying a high-level run in the Season2 beta test, I think perhaps five, and it was. . . a lot of work Wink Not impossible, but very difficult. I eventually made it and went back to a lower level, perhaps 2; noticeably easier. I am not trying to rack up kills on the test server, there's no point, but from this limited testing I do think that it will create a considerably greater challenge.

Profile Email
James Bond
 Thursday, June 04 2009 @ 05:56 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Yrk

oh i am definatly coming back to the island at season two!

juse wondering though, what if i, brave as i am, set my difficulty level to 7 after my first DK, and then end up totally unable to kill the level 7 drive (which im pretty sure would happen). Would i be stuck on that run forever?

Don't worry, I tried that on the Beta server; if beaten (as you probably will be at that level), talk to the Watcher on the Failboat- she will let you lower your level.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Friday, June 05 2009 @ 09:24 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've been curious. A while ago, Joe, you mentioned a new playable race.

I didn't care much about Foe-bots (Which were interesting until you mentioned the other,)

Strangers.

Do you plan on detailing these new characters any more? Are they made to rival the Jokers?

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Friday, June 05 2009 @ 10:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: K.K.+Victoria

I've been curious. A while ago, Joe, you mentioned a new playable race.

I didn't care much about Foe-bots (Which were interesting until you mentioned the other,)

Strangers.

Do you plan on detailing these new characters any more? Are they made to rival the Jokers?

I was wondering about this also. It would certainly make things a little more interesting.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, June 05 2009 @ 11:32 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

The new races won't be in at launch - but they'll probably come a month or two later.

Strangers and FoeBots won't be races that you can just choose from the race selection screen, but rather races that you can play by encountering a special event.

I've been mulling over, for Season Three perhaps, removing Jokers as a playable race and instead having three new "classes" for the higher-DK characters (Jokers, Strangers and Dancers). So you'll select your race as normal, but you'll have Joker abilities applied. Thus, any race can become a Joker or what-have-you (woo Jokermorphs).

Profile Email Website
K.K. Victoria
 Saturday, June 06 2009 @ 12:13 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

The new races won't be in at launch - but they'll probably come a month or two later.

Strangers and FoeBots won't be races that you can just choose from the race selection screen, but rather races that you can play by encountering a special event.

I've been mulling over, for Season Three perhaps, removing Jokers as a playable race and instead having three new "classes" for the higher-DK characters (Jokers, Strangers and Dancers). So you'll select your race as normal, but you'll have Joker abilities applied. Thus, any race can become a Joker or what-have-you (woo Jokermorphs).

Interesting!

Any bits on just what the strangers are and do?

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Rosin
 Saturday, June 06 2009 @ 09:58 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

First up, WOO Jokermorphs!

Second, Dancers? Strangers? Odd enough names, but should be interesting!

Third, Aww no more Joker race.

Lastly, Joker abilities+Kittymorph abilities=invisible nudity. Simple math.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Saturday, June 06 2009 @ 10:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Rosin

Jokerbots, Improbability powers and autorepair.

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Saturday, June 06 2009 @ 10:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Giuseppe+Lorenzo

Quote by: Rosin

*perks head up* What! No more Joker race? Then, what will I do all day! Can't we race backwards, at least? (or at least be a Strangely Dancing Joker then, to compensate?)

Humans + Strangers. ... Waaait. We have that already.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Saturday, June 06 2009 @ 10:36 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: SicPuess

Humans + Strangers. ... Waaait. We have that already.

Don't we call them newbies?

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Sunday, June 07 2009 @ 06:55 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Well, I'm sort of fuckered if you take away Joker as a playable race -- thank goodness S3 is so far away, eh? Wink

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Symar
 Friday, June 12 2009 @ 01:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Jokerbots, transform and roll out!

Profile Email
CheshireCat
 Thursday, June 18 2009 @ 02:09 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Symar

Jokerbots, transform and roll out!

Yes yes, Symar Prime. But I just don't feel like it...

The Island's Most Married Kittyjoker.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, June 28 2009 @ 11:32 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Something else I forgot to mention: I updated all the referral code.

Under the system that we have now in Season One, if you refer someone to the site (using the URL improbableisland.com/referral.php?r=yourusername) and they make it to above level twelve, you'll get 50 Donator Points.

In S2, I've revamped the home page and referral code. When you refer someone to the site, they'll see the whole homepage as they would have done had you just sent them to improbableisland.com, and they can move around between pages without that referral data being lost. So, if you're frequently posting your referral link to your friends, you can be more sure that your referrals will get credited and you'll get your Donator Points.

Secondly, you'll also be given Donator Points for second-hand referrals. Say you refer Bob, and Bob gets to level 12 - that's cool, you'll get your 50 points. But if Bob refers Jane, then when Jane passes level 12, Bob will get 50 points and you'll get another 25 points.

So, if you refer Bob and Tim, Tim refers Eden and Bob refers Jane, then assuming that everyone passes LV12, you're looking at 50 points for Bob, 50 points for Tim, 25 points for Eden and 25 points for Jane, making a grand total of 150 points for two referrals. Not too shabby.

Profile Email Website
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Monday, June 29 2009 @ 05:46 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like that idea. I like it a lot.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.41 seconds
New Topic Post Reply