Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Games similar to Improbable Island?
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: Laina
 Saturday, July 04 2009 @ 07:28 PM UTC (Read 6017 times)  

I was just wondering if anyone has ever played a similar text-based game before where you have to fight odd creatures... I remember playing one awhile back (that, consequently, also referenced favorites like Monty Python and Hitchhiker's Guide) but can't for the life of me remember what it was called. Google has been no help.

Can anyone think of any?

CavemanJoe
 Saturday, July 04 2009 @ 07:33 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Well, Improbable Island is based on Legend of the Green Dragon source code, so it's likely you're remembering another LotGD-a-like. If you click on the "LOGD Net" link from the login page, there's a whole bunch of them out there. Smile

(this one's the best, though Wink )

Profile Email Website
Rosin
 Saturday, July 04 2009 @ 07:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm not one to play favorites (Dan), but I believe this is the better of the LoGD games I've played. Well written bases, well staffed (all two and two thirds of you), and a wonderful cast of players. Excellent stories. Even decided to emigrate my character from a different LoGD to be the current Rosin persona.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Jade XXIV
 Saturday, July 04 2009 @ 07:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I lasted a day on LotGD, maybe two. Yet here I am...many months later, still traipsing about this lovely Island that Dan created. I hardly get any sleep anymore, but it's a LOT of fun. Insomnia has never been this fun before Mr. Green .

Islanding since 2009.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Saturday, July 04 2009 @ 07:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Like Jade says, this one simply pulls on people. The community, the game, the characters, practically demands that you stick around to see what happens next. I'm not the only one who stayed up until four in the morning writing out stories on this little game.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, July 04 2009 @ 07:52 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I think it's the community that does it. And the game design has both influenced and been influenced by the community.

(for example, the community would be very different if I hadn't put in that big ol' wall-o-text at the start of the game to scare away the impatient or unimaginative, and we wouldn't be doing iitem-based gifting in S2 if this community hadn't been so altruistic. Also, /special comments wouldn't have been invented had there not been player demand for them here. So it goes both ways!)

Profile Email Website
Bernard
 Sunday, July 05 2009 @ 08:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Jade+XXIV

I lasted a day on LotGD, maybe two. Yet here I am...many months later, still traipsing about this lovely Island that Dan created. I hardly get any sleep anymore, but it's a LOT of fun. Insomnia has never been this fun before Mr. Green .

I have to say that, on occasion, insomnia has been a lot of fun outside of tapping away at a keyboard. But don't let Treacle hear you say that.

Profile Email
Bodoni
 Sunday, July 05 2009 @ 10:49 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Infocom put out a game called the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, based on Adams' books. It was a single-player text based game, though Infocom liked to call such things "interactive stories". One of the quests was to find bits of lint, another quest was to obtain the Babelfish (this involved doing a string of very improbably tasks), and a third was to survive the Reading of the Vogon Poetry.

Maybe this was what you're thinking of?

Profile Email
EvilEllie
 Monday, July 06 2009 @ 07:27 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

A single player text based game I used to love is Leather Goddesses of Phobos. Described by Wikipedia as: "This game was Infocom's first "sex farce" and featured selectable "naughtiness" levels ranging from "tame" to "lewd"." Funfunfun Mr. Green

Profile Email
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Monday, July 06 2009 @ 07:36 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This is my first and only text RPG. There will be no others that have taken my heart so.

Profile Email
Bodoni
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 05:06 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: EvilEllie

A single player text based game I used to love is Leather Goddesses of Phobos. Described by Wikipedia as: "This game was Infocom's first "sex farce" and featured selectable "naughtiness" levels ranging from "tame" to "lewd"." Funfunfun Mr. Green

Also you could select your sex. Or at least choose which bathroom to go into at the start of the game. And yes, it was a lot of fun, though it was extremely aggravating in some cases.

Profile Email
EvilEllie
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 11:48 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Bodoni

Quote by: EvilEllie

Also you could select your sex. Or at least choose which bathroom to go into at the start of the game. And yes, it was a lot of fun, though it was extremely aggravating in some cases.

Ah yes, choose one gender, then play the game as though you are the other one. Funfunfun. Mr. Green

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.94 seconds
New Topic Post Reply