Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Clan Hall on Fail Boat?
 |  Printable Version
Cath
 Monday, August 10 2009 @ 01:19 AM UTC (Read 2139 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

So, sometimes I don't have time or energy, or the saved days to get my sorry butt off the Fail Boat but it would be great to still have the ability to access my clan. Would it be possible to add a link to the clan room from there?

Pretty please?

Thanks!

Profile Email
Epaphus
 Monday, August 10 2009 @ 02:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I dunno ... It's well-established that the Failboat cruises off the coast of the Island, which would mean you have to escape the F'boat and return to shore to reach the clan hall in an outpost.

Profile Email
LeGrande
 Monday, August 10 2009 @ 02:51 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I vote (as if my vote counts) to keep it as is. I'm getting used to taking care of clan things before boarding the failboat, and I can't think of anything that couldn't wait 4 hours for me to return back to the island in the event I get tossed to the Failboat early.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Monday, August 10 2009 @ 03:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, I vote for keeping it off as well. Reason being, why would the Watcher allow a portal to be opened back to your clan hall on the Failboat.

If it is really that important though, you can always buy your way off of the Failboat with 25 DP if you like.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Cath
 Monday, August 10 2009 @ 04:23 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I never intentionally go to the fail boat. I know that some people do but I've never been that big on "dying" or whatever one wants to think of it as.

And, whether it's on the island or cruising off shore, I'm not sure how that really matters, as the clan hall is exactly the same no matter which city you're in, so it clearly has nothing to do with location.

If the point of the II gaming endeavor is to keep people around as much as possible, making it impossible for them to do anything like conversing with anyone (or doing anything else once you run out of turns and new days) for up to four hours seems antithetical to that goal.

I'll add that I'm the sort of person who likes to take care of things as they come up, so if I'm stuck somewhere and unable to handle it, I'm not comfortable with that. There's nowhere else on the island where you are as isolated as on the Fail Boat.

I guess I'm just not really "used" to the "way things are". Honestly, I really don't like that I can't come on and check on things without being forced into a new day but I'm not asking for that to change. Honestly, I feel that if you aren't doing anything that requires (or replenishes, I suppose) stamina, you shouldn't have to move into the new day. I found that if I end my day in my clan, I can avoid that problem as, if I simply refresh the conversation I don't get stuck starting a new day, but if I do anything else, like look to see which of my clan members are currently playing or forget to head there before I quit, I do. I suppose I should feel lucky that I can check and respond to distractions without that happening.

This is the largest part of why I thought it would be best to have forums off the island...

As to using DP to buy my way off... I'd rather use them for more than a wasted day that I'm not going to play out when I don't have the 20-30 minutes to do so.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Monday, August 10 2009 @ 04:40 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Well, like the Common Ground and the Fourth Wall, I've always sort of assumed that clan halls (or at least, the doors to clan halls) work in such a way that you can enter from many places but the physical destination remains the same. People make a good point when they say it would sort of be weird if you could access clan hall from the Failboat -- it's the Failboat, and you're supposed to be limited there. Knowing that you will be limited there is incentive to play more cautiously on the mainland. No Comms Tent to chat in Outposts, no clan hall to cuddle with friends, no nothin'. You died. The wait's usually not four hours unless you die RIGHT on the crack of New Day (and if you do, you can fight your way off without a significant stam loss) or.. pop a quarter in and play again.

I hope you are not feeling ganged up on, Cath! I understand the spirit of what you're saying and I sympathize, as I am one chatty sumbitch, but there are always forums on the off-chance that many people in your clan are online.. or that 25 DPs.. or the Distract system to carry on a conversation that you were having in clan hall but now cannot because you're dead.

We like keeping people around and we like building community, but you'll notice that just before you trigger a non-obligatory New Day routine, the screen mentions that we don't want people becoming horribly addicted to the Island. It happens regardless with some people; I me, I have spent a full four and a half days of my life waiting for pages on the Island to load -- I reacted to this information with hysterical laughter that bordered on the true sense of hysteria -- but.. speaking as someone who runs a clan and speaking as that person who has spent, y'know, almost five days of a LIFE sitting and waiting for pages to loooad.. wellll. Some things can wait, y'know? Go wander the rest of the Internet, learn how to do something new, patch together some pocket speakers from two mint tins and a pair of headphones, step outside. Clan Bizniz can frequently wait an hour or two. Wink

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Epaphus
 Monday, August 10 2009 @ 04:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

... speaking as that person who has spent, y'know, almost five days of a LIFE sitting and waiting for pages to loooad..

And just what would you have spent those days on instead, Z? You know there's no such thing as life beyond the cozy confines of the World Map.

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Monday, August 10 2009 @ 05:39 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

-- but.. speaking as someone who runs a clan and speaking as that person who has spent, y'know, almost five days of a LIFE sitting and waiting for pages to loooad.. wellll.

Do you use carrier pigeons for your internet connection? Drums?

The other option no one has mentioned is that we could have our entire clan commit suicide to keep Cath company.

Profile Email
Jon Bishop
 Monday, August 10 2009 @ 06:01 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Now that's true teamwork.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Monday, August 10 2009 @ 07:28 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Pinche+Cabron

-- but.. speaking as someone who runs a clan and speaking as that person who has spent, y'know, almost five days of a LIFE sitting and waiting for pages to loooad.. wellll.

Do you use carrier pigeons for your internet connection? Drums?

The other option no one has mentioned is that we could have our entire clan commit suicide to keep Cath company.

I've actually got a tin can and a long string. There's someone on the other end of the can who whispers stories to me. I- I'm pretty sure it's Epaphus. You should hear his rendition of Goodnight Moon.

KOOL-AID CULTS?

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Monday, August 10 2009 @ 12:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I could see Location 4 to have an entrance on the failboat... though, I think this would result in a lot more comments of the I fail what can I do sort. Which is, provided that they don't take over, not really a bad thing.

Profile Email
Cath
 Monday, August 10 2009 @ 01:38 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I hope you are not feeling ganged up on, Cath! I understand the spirit of what you're saying and I sympathize, as I am one chatty sumbitch, but there are always forums on the off-chance that many people in your clan are online.. or that 25 DPs.. or the Distract system to carry on a conversation that you were having in clan hall but now cannot because you're dead.

We like keeping people around and we like building community, but you'll notice that just before you trigger a non-obligatory New Day routine, the screen mentions that we don't want people becoming horribly addicted to the Island.

I did, a bit, I guess. I know it's silly and I'm sure that a lot of my arguments don't make much sense when you think about it. *sigh*

I honestly never noticed that notice on the New Day screen... I just look at how many I have left and click yes. Honestly, until recently when I started getting dragged into my clan activities and being more active in my clan... plus, right now I'm on my summer hiatus from school so I've nothing better to do, at least not for the next couple of weeks. And I do play other games... Maple Story... but I actually talk to people here.

Pinche Cabron, you're sweet and I think that is a perfect solution. :*

Edit: But wouldn't it be funny if, when you were on the Fail Boat and were talking in your clan it showed up as "The Shade of Cath whispers from beyond the grave"???

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Monday, August 10 2009 @ 04:38 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Cath

I hope you are not feeling ganged up on, Cath!

I did, a bit, I guess. I know it's silly and I'm sure that a lot of my arguments don't make much sense when you think about it. *sigh*

No! Not silly! I understand -- it sucks if you come wandering over here to suggest something and three or four people gruffly shoot you down. I think Sic's compromise with a link to the Location Four is a good one. If rookies use the privilege to go, 'waah, I'm dead, what do I dooo,' well.. we talk to them. Wink And we have the conversations that Cath's wanting to have with her clan when she's sailing. I me, I would like it if more people used Location Four as an actual chatspace, not a fluid FAQ.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Epaphus
 Monday, August 10 2009 @ 11:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I apologize if I was one of those "gruffly ganging up." That wasn't my intent--okay, at least not the "gruffly" part. (Z tells me I'm "snarky," but I haven't yet found a 12-Step program for that. Maybe I'll start one next time I'm sitting around the Failboat.)

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, August 11 2009 @ 01:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If you think that what you said was silly and didn't make much sense, then you want to see some of the tosh that I write. Makes you look like Einstein, I can assure you.

Profile Email
Cath
 Tuesday, August 11 2009 @ 02:14 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Epaphus

I apologize if I was one of those "gruffly ganging up." That wasn't my intent--okay, at least not the "gruffly" part. (Z tells me I'm "snarky," but I haven't yet found a 12-Step program for that. Maybe I'll start one next time I'm sitting around the Failboat.)

I wouldn't say that it was your post, or any of the posts individually, as much as three posts in a row that seemed to want to make their opinion known in a, somewhat, terse manner. Especially from three (or at least two) such experienced people, I felt a bit like the pup in a wolf pack who was questioning her elders and the pack's way of doing things. Especially after I attempted to make the question so light-hearted and somewhat silly.

I do appreciate the understanding and the consideration given by Zolotisty, as well as your apology, Epaphus and Hairy Mary's vote of confidence for the intelligibility of my comments.

Profile Email
LeGrande
 Tuesday, August 11 2009 @ 04:01 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Cath,

My apologies for sounding terse. :/ I didn't mean to pile on ... I'm a complete season 2 person, never participated in season 1, so I'm relatively new. I'm sure a lot of my suggestions and ideas get eyerolls from the longtime players, if that helps you feel better.

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Tuesday, August 11 2009 @ 08:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: LeGrande

Cath,

My apologies for sounding terse. :/ I didn't mean to pile on ... I'm a complete season 2 person, never participated in season 1, so I'm relatively new. I'm sure a lot of my suggestions and ideas get eyerolls from the longtime players, if that helps you feel better.

But the bumdolier was pure genius.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.54 seconds
New Topic Post Reply