Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Rookie's (attack?) from 4chan.(or something.)
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: SDlfsfjkldsjad
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 04:28 AM UTC (Read 5492 times)  

Level one rookies, have been saying some really 'stupid' things;

(4h37m) Rookie ryanawesome says, "im showing everyone my penis."
(4h1m) Rookie Jabberwocky says, "DO the monsters drop money or can you get a job?"
(3h55m) Rookie Andre says, "..............SPORK!"
(????) Can't find it now, but it was "you all lost the game."
(3h37m) Rookie Jabberwocky says, "Why a SPORK. Why not a regular KNIFE?"
(2h35m) Rookie Prawn Savage says, "I love this game. What an amazing way to waste time at work!"
(2h23m) Rookie Prawn Savage says, "Oh yes. I am riding a naked old man around. It's just like high school."
(1h16m) Rookie Prawn Savage touches himself inappropriately before running in to the jungle.

I know there are some restriction on chat, not sure how it is?
but is it more strict for rookies, or well could it be for level 1 rookies..

Not really sure if there are moderaters or how they work?

talkydoor
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 08:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I figure if we just ignore the idiots, and don't rp back, they'll soon give up talking. Then maybe they'll walk in on some good rp and realise that's how things are done.

If they persist in being a pain, I believe there's a wiki entry about rping etiquette that you could point them to. I believe it starts: if you've been linked to this, then you've been being an arsehole!

(Found it: http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=posting_etiquette )

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 08:23 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

There are moderators. They do, however, have to sleep once in a while. Frown

Rookies have traditionally been cut a bit of slack. It takes a while to learn the culture of the Island. Most of them settle down... or leave. More experienced players can help by setting an example of good roleplaying comments, and by providing friendly advice to those rookies who are confused about some aspect of the game. Helping rookies find their feet here is a good deed, and it makes the Island a better place.

If there's some rookie who's causing a lot of disruption -- and by that I don't mean posting a couple of dumb comments, but, say, filling up the NewHome chat space with garbage -- alert either Zolotisty or me via distraction, and we'll get it to stop.

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 09:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: SDlfsfjkldsjad

Level one rookies, have been saying some really 'stupid' things;

(1h16m) Rookie Prawn Savage touches himself inappropriately before running in to the jungle.

The paradox is that touching yourself inappropriately is totally appropriate and within bounds (although it might not win you any friends). It's touching others inappropriately and without consent that gets people into trouble.

I'm sure glad I was cut slack as a rookie. I'm also glad that that period was a blur of excitement that I barely remember, so I can avoid dwelling on any embarrassing moments. (And please, no one remind me. I'd rather be blissfully unaware and forgetful.)

Profile Email
Anonymous: Zpatula
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 05:14 PM UTC  

Poke the little buggers 'til they get the idea.

CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 05:27 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Hey, be nice to the newbies. Did you folks never hear the NewHome is Full of Noobs song? They'll get the idea if they're immersed in the culture. The best way to introduce them is to just go about business as usual, remembering of course that NewHome is full of noobs.

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Zpatula
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 05:31 PM UTC  

I'll be civil -- but the next noob who runs over and humps my mule is gonna get poked raw.

Anonymous: Hobo
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 06:07 PM UTC  

interesting you should say that, just checked my refer list (which usually has around 4 level 1 names on it at any one time) to find that theres around 12 there only 5 of which have rude words in their names. This is strange since the $1 advert/refer link at 4chanarchive.org timed out (or at least was blocked from editing it) a few days ago.

CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 06:18 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

...Hobo, what in the everloving fuck are you doing advertising my game to 4chan? Evil

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Hobo
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 06:30 PM UTC  

heh, that was a fast turnaround.
from
"Hey, be nice to the newbies."
to
"What in the everloving fuck"

They added a cheap ad system to the archive and couldn't think of any other link to try it out. Sounds like fun though, *travels to newhome*

Paul Lo
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 06:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't think that it was a good move; we don't want the cancer that plagues /b/ to come here, eh?

Spread the Good News at places where viable would-be contestants might dwell... Between like-minded friends, for example.

I think that you wrote something like that a long time ago, Dan.

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
Zekiel
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 06:48 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Maybe the 4chan'ers are like-minded friends to Hobo... Confused

What's in a name? Would explain some of the newbstorms we've been having lately...

If the world didn't suck, we'd fall off.

Profile Email
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 07:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I, for one, don't want the /b/tards laming up our amazing game. It was fairly inevitable that they would take notice of Improbable Island. Therefore I say prepare for the worst. And hope they don't launch a DDoS attack.

Profile Email
Anonymous: SDlfsjkldsjad
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 09:49 PM UTC  

No matter what, some crowds or people, may come across this game, and the way we respond, effects their efforts. The more you try to limit or contain something like 4chan or any other community like such, the more they try to break through.

Okay I just Had an Idea.
For someone spamming, or whatever.

Something Improbable!
A lady passing by, turns suddenly at your statement.
Her face red, and mouth twisted, she appears overly angry or insulted.

She slaps you in the face, and continues on her way.
You rub your swore face and notice that something is missing.. You feel only skin where your mouth once was.
You look around desperately, and try to ask for help.
You hear something coming from the jungle, your "cries for help!"
The woman must have smacked your mouth over the outpost wall.

You have to go do a couple jungle fights, and well find it?

Anonymous: SDlfsfjkldsjad.
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 09:55 PM UTC  

And,
well I mean you could make it an improbable event for everyone, but the more dk's you have the less likely it happens?

but only way to prepare would be to have some stricter text limits for new players, but you have to be cafeful not to hinder harmless new people, which you don't want to push away from the game.
You also need some moderators to fill the graveyard shift of things.

Count Sessine
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 10:04 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I'm often here in the graveyard shift. And I do have the power to shut spammers up.

I don't use it lightly.

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 10:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: SDlfsjkldsjad

No matter what, some crowds or people, may come across this game, and the way we respond, effects their efforts. The more you try to limit or contain something like 4chan or any other community like such, the more they try to break through.

Okay I just Had an Idea.

Something Improbable!

You rub your swore face and notice that something is missing.. You feel only skin where your mouth once was.

I'm not sure what you consider spamming. I've not seen much in the way of unsolicited commercial advertisments (although I've heard that every great once in a while this does happen via Distraction). Do you mean chat that you find annoying? Get used to it, brother. When I'm feeling grouchy and haven't had my caffeine, about 50% of you lot's chat is annoying to me. Mr. Green

But, if there was going to be an in game RP way for Mods to give people a time out, I'd suggest The Cornfield.

The Cornfield
You wake up in the middle of a vast cornfield late at night. You suspect you wound up here for bad behavior. It's dark and you are cold and there are scary noises coming from amongst the corn stalks. You better shape up if you don't want to come here again!

You are unable to return to Improbable Island for (1 game day) (24 hours) (2 weeks) (Whatever)

Profile Email
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 10:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Pinche+Cabron

Quote by: SDlfsjkldsjad

Okay I just Had an Idea.

Something Improbable!

I'm not sure what you consider spamming. I've not seen much in the way of unsolicited commercial advertisments (although I've heard that every great once in a while this does happen via Distraction). Do you mean chat that you find annoying? Get used to it, brother. When I'm feeling grouchy and haven't had my caffeine, about 50% of you lot's chat is annoying to me. Mr. Green

But, if there was going to be an in game RP way for Mods to give people a time out, I'd suggest The Cornfield.

The Cornfield
You wake up in the middle of a vast cornfield late at night. You suspect you wound up here for bad behavior. It's dark and you are cold and there are scary noises coming from amongst the corn stalks. You better shape up if you don't want to come here again!

You are unable to return to Improbable Island for (1 game day) (24 hours) (2 weeks) (Whatever)

It must involve a boy named Johnny, who you must beg to not send you to aforementioned Endless Field of Corn.

Twilight Zone references are so much fun.

Profile Email
PeasOfCrab
 Tuesday, September 29 2009 @ 10:53 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

... Perhaps the Network/Old Wizened Woman version of the "Newhome is Full of Noobs" song could be put into effect?

Wink

-PoC

Profile Email
Max Dougwell
 Wednesday, September 30 2009 @ 03:20 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

When we get right down to it, the 4Chaners aren't doing much more then a few overly crass comments. My worry is what happens if they move on to the Enquirer before they manage to a) Adapt to the Island or b) Leave altogether.
Then again, the main reason sites get attacked by 4-Chan is because they're easily provoked. Most of them seem to get bored quick when "showing people their penis" doesn't elicit the response they were hoping for.

Addendum: Looks like the "touching myself inappropriately" guy has decided to keep playing.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.10 seconds
New Topic Post Reply