Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Separate link to see roleplay-only commentary?
 |  Printable Version
Aeridus
 Thursday, October 08 2009 @ 03:59 PM UTC (Read 877 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

I love the roleplaying on the Island, even if I don't roleplay too much myself, but I did read mention of troubles with "background noise" when trying to roleplay. Perhaps a certain character combination such as `~ could indicate a roleplaying comment when typing stuff in villages, and while all roleplay commentary would still be visible on the main village screen it could also be seen in a clickable link on the sidebar (or maybe a tab/checkbox above or below the chat) without non-roleplay commentary. Might be tricky to code, but just tossing something out there. I just know that it's useful to have separate channels for different types of conversations in other games, and there's already that sort of distinction between the village screen and Location Four.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Thursday, October 08 2009 @ 04:36 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That is an interesting idea, but neigh impossible to implement. People who aren't roleplaying might use whatever the channel is, or maybe there might be mistakes in entering whatever it is to deviate ti to the roleplaying channel, and some parts of stories wouldn't be included...

Besides, I kind of like to think that the chat-spaces are generally for roleplaying anyway, and making a selective channel for roleplaying seems to kind of be... Well, I don't know, alienating it I guess?

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Aeridus
 Thursday, October 08 2009 @ 04:54 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

True, and it seems that after the initial rush of the new season, people are learning faster to use Location Four for random ooc comments and help. I haven't seen too much background noise in non-NewHome places. And there's plenty of non-Village places to do roleplay that are less likely to have interruptions.

Profile Email
Adder Moray
 Thursday, October 08 2009 @ 05:22 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I sometimes forget to type in Adder's `2, as well as the occasional Quotation mark, or closed italics.

Lord knows how often I would forget an RP tag.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Thursday, October 08 2009 @ 05:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hm,

Also, I use the `~ for the black color. I don't like having to give up those two characters, (Sometimes it comes down to slicing out a period or removing a space after a comma intentionally so as to have enough to complete a word,)

and having a `~`X to put in (X being whatever the code is,) is just two more letters that are devoted to something other than what I want to type.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Thursday, October 08 2009 @ 05:59 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I don't see the need and I don't think people would adopt it, which makes it a not-very-productive use of code time? CMJ has been WONDERFUL to the roleplayers in giving them the Export to HTML option; RP-only channels aren't necessary.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Aeridus
 Friday, October 09 2009 @ 01:02 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Yeah, that definitely looks like a handy feature. :-) And it probably doesn't take much effort to clean out the few unrelated comments after exporting.

Profile Email
Paul Lo
 Saturday, October 10 2009 @ 06:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I say no to RP-only channels.

Of course I love RP! It's just that, as Z said, the need is not that great.

Inciting contestants to do RP is the simplest option. And the most interesting.

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.71 seconds
New Topic Post Reply