Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 new book alert!
 |  Printable Version
XaNe
 Friday, October 09 2009 @ 02:14 AM UTC (Read 1548 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

I just took a peek at the New York Times and got some shocking news.

There's a sixth book to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Series. It has been written by Eoin Colfer. It shall hit the shelves on monday(today is october the 8th where I am, thursday, monday is in four days).

I have severely mixed feelings about this. On one hand, its a relief that we finally get to see the ending, but on the other hand, its Eoin colfer's ending, not the one Adams originally intended. Colfer didn't use his notes for the fear that if he did a good job, he would get no credit for his work.

What are your thoughts?

Some people see the glass as half full, some people see it as half empty, I just spit in the cup until it isn't a problem anymore.

Profile Email
Binjali
 Friday, October 09 2009 @ 04:10 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

As far as I know, the second or third book was supposed to be the ending, and then Adams was forced to continue. So really, technically, the series already had the ending Adams originally intended.

And if he didn't use any notes, all this really is is fanfiction that's being published by official sources, being made into canon after Adams can't say anything one way or the other. It might end up being an amusing book and a good homage, but I'm not going to get too excited about it.

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Friday, October 09 2009 @ 08:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ooh, I heard about this. I've got to say, I've got very mixed feelings. Unlike the Dirk Gently series, THHG actually ended in the last one, pretty unequivocally. The author (darn my short term memory loss...) said himself that he was horrified at the idea at first, and only gradually came round to letting it be published.

I am looking forward to this, but I think it's going to be very different from how Mr Adams would have written it. (And if he touches that Dirk Gently third book I'll hunt him down)

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Saturday, March 20 2010 @ 01:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Long time since the the other posts, but...

I've read it (The sixth hitchhiker book). Its And Another Thing but it carries on in the same manner as the previous books. Only character missing is Marvin. Frown Re-meet your faviouite two galactic presidents. (yes two, second one (if Beeblebrox is your first) is human.) Be careful at Asgard. Get insulted by Wowbagger the Infinitly Prolonged. Meet Fenchurch (very breifly). And, ultimatly, be prepared to have your home demolished by the Vogons. Again.

As for the third Dirk Gently book, the basics of it has been published as The Salmon of Doubt, a book which contains various work by Adam's, such as early published work such as short stories and what had been written of his notes on Dirk Gently and Hitchhiker.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
talkydoor
 Saturday, March 20 2010 @ 02:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Cousjava

As for the third Dirk Gently book, the basics of it has been published as The Salmon of Doubt, a book which contains various work by Adam's, such as early published work such as short stories and what had been written of his notes on Dirk Gently and Hitchhiker.

Yes, that's the one I'm talking about! I've read it, and I think it broke my heart a little that I'll never understand.

And I remain unconvinced. I may read 'And Another Thing' as fanfiction, but I can't see why another was necessary, really!

Profile Email
monsterzero
 Saturday, March 20 2010 @ 05:09 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: talkydoor

Yes, that's the one I'm talking about! I've read it, and I think it broke my heart a little that I'll never understand.

Yeah, The Salmon of Doubt hurt. Small fragments of a lost treasure, and even if someone competent tries to fill in the gaps, it'll never, ever ring true.

When I get my library card for Lucien's stacks in Morpheus' Dreaming, the completed Salmon of Doubt (Dirk Gently version) is number one on my list of never-written books to check out.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.54 seconds
New Topic Post Reply