Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Server performance statistics
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, October 15 2009 @ 03:27 PM UTC (Read 1565 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

Hey, all. Yesterday I wrote a little module to help me keep an eye on server load and performance. This may be interesting to folks who want to know when the game will be slow to load pages.

Here it is. Note you won't be able to see it while logged in.

New data is written to the table whenever a player logs in or out (the highlighted row shows how many players are online using current data (the onlinelist is cached to improve performance, so may be a few players out of date), so that's the row that'll be updated next). The data under "Recent performance statistics" lists the average page load since the last time somebody logged in or out, so it's a good weather predictor for how fast the game is running right now.

Limitations:
The most obvious limitation is that there's not yet any way to measure performance across different scripts. Load times in the Jungle, World Map and New Day pages will likely be significantly higher than advertised, and Common Ground significantly lower (yeah, it's an average page gen time). Also bear in mind that this module has only been running since this time yesterday, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to rows with a small data sample (say, less than ten thousand page loads) because they will be affected by EG the game rolling over to a new game day, lots of people fighting in the jungle, and so on.

So now we know the game hits a wall around 90-odd players online.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, October 15 2009 @ 03:54 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Hit F5 a coupla times on that performance script, and watch how many pages are being served. Razz

On a related note, I started my first website on the 3rd of September in the space year 2000. I used to watch my hit counter like a hawk, and felt an immense sense of accomplishment when my crappy webfic started getting into the giddying heights of a hundred and fifty hits a week.

Aah, Lycos, Bravenet, them were the days, I remember when this were all fields, and so on and so forth.

Profile Email Website
K.K. Victoria
 Thursday, October 15 2009 @ 04:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Cool! And now we know.

S'a good addition there. Know when or not to log in to the island for fighting, now.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Thursday, October 15 2009 @ 06:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Thanks.

Less wasted days!

Profile Email
Anonymous: NotAgain
 Thursday, October 15 2009 @ 08:16 PM UTC  

Big Grin Good stuff!

Is there any existing - or chance of a future - link to something showing the graph of average user load per hour over, say, a week?

I know that the peak loads tend to correspond with the start of each "new day" for example, peaking every 3 hours or so during the real-time day, but I'd imagine that Friday nights & Week-ends would see a higher loading during the rest of the day?

Just curious, 'cos I have enough problems trying to work around my ISPs periods of peak loading. (Which, of course, they deny exist.)

It'd be nice to have just one session where my character doesn't just sit for 5 mins with a vacant expression on his face... Rolling Eyes

Hairy Mary
 Friday, October 16 2009 @ 12:11 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Er, what's happening for 84 players online? Total count for nearby player numbers is between 10 thousand and 20 thousand. For 84 players it's over 4 thousand million, which apparently gets serviced impressively quickly.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.46 seconds
New Topic Post Reply